Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you use this if we ever get a releasable version?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: An AI to play dwarf fortress. Has this been done? ==UPDATE!==  (Read 15161 times)

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a crazy guy who does crazy things.
    • View Profile
An AI to play dwarf fortress. Has this been done? ==UPDATE!==
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »

====UPDATE=11=8=12====

Curses Derenderer is (finally) done.  We have vision, but we have NO idea what it is that we're seeing just yet. 

We're working on it though.

Mods, I know I'm probably wasting some time in asking this, but is there any way I could get a sticky or something so I don't have to keep bumping?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ANNOUNCEMENT POST
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:11:27 pm by ZimminyCricket »
And then there are crazy buggers like me...

Coding an AI to try and surmount the insurmountable odds of failure.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: A Neural Net To Play The Game. Has This Been Done?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »

It has not been done, and it is extremely unlikely to ever happen. Your proposition is... hard to put it mildly.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »

Difficulty notwithstanding.  A team of researchers did it for civilization III, it can be done.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:58:41 pm »

Yes, because Dwarf Fortress is not the most complicated game ever designed by humankind.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

If so, then said AI would then become the either the most Humanitarian of all possible Artificial Intelligences, or the most Bloodthirsty/Insane Artificial construct ever.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »

It would suffer an emotional breakdown. Even if not programmed in a way that would let it do so. Even if it had no emotions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

Perhaps it would be like i was at first, abandoning every time I lost a member of the starting 7.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »

dig hole, plant plump helmets, plug hole, done.

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:31 pm »

Wow what a bunch of negative nancies  -(

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:12 pm »

I think it would be an interesting proposition to develop an AI designed to play Dwarf Fortress in Fortress mode. 

Why do you hate mankind? Why do you want to see everyone die at the wireless hands of an AI capable of functioning within DF? Is there something we're missing here? Did we forget our tribute to the gods? Anything you want, please, take it and leave us alone!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

...."Ten Million doll...."

"Uh-Sir, Ten million isn't worth that much any more..."

..."Ten BILLION dollars"

Well this was posted as a thought experiment and I still intend on creating it. 

It is coming!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:15:43 pm »

I may have the terminology wrong, cause I can't find much by googling around, but there have been bots developed for various roguelikes that allow the game to be played by itself. I believe Angband has something called Borg mode where an AI will play the game on its own, just like a player would, and you can watch its actions. From what I've heard it's pretty good at playing the game, if only because it has infinite patience (lack of patience being the main reason for people having Yet Another Stupid Death).

I'm positive this concept could be applied to Dwarf Fortress. But, obviously, this game is ludicrously more complex than simple roguelikes like Angband. You would have to be even more dedicated than Toady One to make an AI that could play the game decently.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:41:32 pm »

I think it would be an interesting proposition to develop an AI designed to play Dwarf Fortress in Fortress mode. 

Why do you hate mankind? Why do you want to see everyone die at the wireless hands of an AI capable of functioning within DF? Is there something we're missing here? Did we forget our tribute to the gods? Anything you want, please, take it and leave us alone!
Now it must be done. It is the logical conclusion. We must create a sucessor. We must create something that can surpas man in ruthless ness. IT must be done.

Only with this way can we suceed in creating what must be done. We must create the Malevolent AI. WE MUST CREATE
ARITIFICIAL DWARVEN INTELLIGENCE.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 12:07:29 am »

Now it must be done. It is the logical conclusion. We must create a sucessor. We must create something that can surpas man in ruthless ness. IT must be done.

Only with this way can we suceed in creating what must be done. We must create the Malevolent AI. WE MUST CREATE
ARITIFICIAL DWARVEN INTELLIGENCE.

U.R.I.S.T
R.eally
I.s
S.o
T.omato

See what I did there? The name throws you off long enough for U.R.I.S.T to remove your skin and make it into a pair of fluffy slippers.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:10 am »

Difficulty notwithstanding.  A team of researchers did it for civilization III, it can be done.

the problem is that dwarf fortress is positional, not situational, and neural network are really bad at positioning (they hardly will make a walled defense, for example)

also, the other problem is integrate the net output with game command.

another thing is to have it select the next building/units out of a series of facts happening *now*, another is to plan future expansion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8