Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you use this if we ever get a releasable version?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: An AI to play dwarf fortress. Has this been done? ==UPDATE!==  (Read 15157 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An AI to play dwarf fortress. Has this been done? ==UPDATE!==
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:41 pm »

If you are going forward with the learning AI, do you need extra help teaching it? Because I'm volunteering.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:06 pm »

Let me try to name all the things that the AI would need to be able to do to survive:
 (Things that would be the most difficult have a *)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

This would be great! And while a good AI would be hard, I'd be happy to just get something capable of making short-lived forts with some artifacts for adventurers to find. Learning AI must be difficult, but the ability to dig, build and equip would go far regardless of inefficient designs.

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a crazy guy who does crazy things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:38 am »

If you are going forward with the learning AI, do you need extra help teaching it? Because I'm volunteering.

When we Get that far, I will send you a message.  I haven't updated the main thread in a bit, since we're still interpreting the screen, but THANKS!  =)
And then there are crazy buggers like me...

Coding an AI to try and surmount the insurmountable odds of failure.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2012, 02:32:02 am »

Could we see a copy of the AI as it currently exists, or is it a bit worse than a toddler plopped down at the keyboard?
It's probably worse than a keyboard plopped on a toddler-shaped keyboard
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:27 am »

You mentioned in the OP that you were looking for people who play on Linux to help teach your AI. As I play on Linux, my interest was piqued. What exactly would this involve? As I understand it, you are looking for recorded video of me playing DF? And I expect it would have to be DF without mods.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2012, 12:22:19 pm »

Are you going to be doing this for adventurer mode too?

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »

If you are going forward with the learning AI, do you need extra help teaching it? Because I'm volunteering

Yes, We will need help teaching it, we're thinking of feeding it snippets of recorded games.  So if you're playing without a skin and would not mind hitting ';' every now and then to record some gameplay, that would be great!  When we're ready for that I will set up a public ftp/dropbox/something to upload them to so stay tuned.

You mentioned in the OP that you were looking for people who play on Linux to help teach your AI. As I play on Linux, my interest was piqued. What exactly would this involve? As I understand it, you are looking for recorded video of me playing DF? And I expect it would have to be DF without mods.

See above.

This would be great! And while a good AI would be hard, I'd be happy to just get something capable of making short-lived forts with some artifacts for adventurers to find. Learning AI must be difficult, but the ability to dig, build and equip would go far regardless of inefficient designs.

Agreed.

A veyr interesting proposal, especially considerign just five minutes previous to clicking this link I was pondering on how I might be able to set my fortress up to run for nonspecific, nontrivial amounts of time with little or no oversight.

This would be an obvious solution, were success in this endeavor achieved.

Pretty much the same reason I decided to start this project.  It just...made sense.

Could we see a copy of the AI as it currently exists, or is it a bit worse than a toddler plopped down at the keyboard?

Somebody else beat me to this answer, but yes, it is still a bit worse than a toddler pooping on the keyboard at the moment.  We haven't gotten to any 'intelligent' point just yet, but we're working on it. 

When we get to a point where we have something working, we'll see.  =)

I agree, being able to put a fortress on autopilot for a while would be nice when nothing exciting has happened lately.

For the discussion of training, I would like to cite the approached used by PS2 "Virtual Fighter 4" AI system.  In this game you could give feedback during the fight if your AI fighter was doing 'good' or 'bad' after every action.  It could be done during the fight, or afterwards during a replay.

If the VF4 appoach is applied to this DF project, we would be able to give feedback (using 'y' and 'n' ?) during gameplay to let the AI know if we are happy with the choices it is making.  These lessons could be stored and transmitted back to the developers for review and possible integration for the next release.  Or it could be kept local, so one player's decision to never build traps would not skew the overall desicion process on trap setup for everyone.

A very good Idea.  I'm glad I thought of it.  =P (I kid, I kid.)  Thanks for the input.

Let me try to name all the things that the AI would need to be able to do to survive:
 (Things that would be the most difficult have a *)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agreed with most of the points there.  Although we're not yet at that phase in development, when we hit it, we're expecting to REALLY hit it.

Are you going to be doing this for adventurer mode too?

Perhaps.  The idea is to be able to port this AI to ANY Curses based roguelike game when we're done. =)

If you guys could make an AI to play DF, I really wanna see an AI to play Minecraft.

One step at a time there buddy!!!  =)

gamewizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »

when you complete the AI player i suggest you run it on sdf.org they are a free public super computer center just thought i would out that out there you know i would say that you could use there setup to enable a very complex AI system much more complex than anything  any desktop could do

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »

crap...page 2.

Update Bump!

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2012, 10:24:33 pm »

Oops, accidently voted no.  I changed my vote, but in case you get some notification from someone voting (I don't know if you do) I didn't want to confuse you (that's happened on facebook with me).

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

Update bump

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2012, 04:21:35 am »

Looks good, and if it works, we should get it to do collab games with experienced players, might teach it important stuff about minecarts/pumps/magma/military/Fun.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »

Looks good, and if it works, we should get it to do collab games with experienced players, might teach it important stuff about minecarts/pumps/magma/military/Fun.
Trying to teach a AI what !!FUN!! is is like teaching a 5 year old gun safety with a Fat Man launcher.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8