Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Returning at a Future Date  (Read 86645 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Ch. 1: To Catch A Thief
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 06:07:26 am »

((The first thing the title reminded me of is To Kill a Mockingbird.))

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »

"Best get on with it..."

Shella didn't mind such a task. She generally disliked lawbreakers, anyway. This lot might be a bit more, which could make it interesting.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »

Gurrath gives a slow nod of the head.

"I'll believe I will be fine."
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »

'Let's get going, then!'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Tales of Shattered Dreams, Turn 1: Freedom | Ch. 1: To Catch A Thief
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:51 am »

The group mount their steeds, and with little to say, make their way out of the courtyard and past the gatehouse. It was a particularly silent occasion only interrupted by the mumblings of the Seneschal, muffled by the horses.

"First day on the job...did I explain it well enough? No matter. The rest of you, follow me.

"We're going rat hunting."

-Turn 1: Freedom-

Formal greetings and trained pleasantries: All these are waived as you make your way from the Bastion. The people you pass by smile and wave, taking a moment from their labors to express their sentiments. The horses you ride on are trained, more knowledgeable about the area than any guide or guardsman, bypassing villagers, children and animals - dogs, cats and salamanders, more common amongst others - they moved mostly of their own accord, at a rhythmic gallop until the outermost walls of the area. A guard complement hurriedly opens the gate, bidding you farewell with a salute on their chests and their spears to their shields as you pass through.

Following that, you ride at full speed onto the dirt road, feeling the wind flowing against your body, making any loose instruments billow against the current. The weather takes on a jovial mood with the cloudless sun shining high in the sky, reflecting its radiant glory on the grassy plains below. Field upon field of tall, green grass undulates in the distance. You take a moment to enjoy the scenery and wonder how this all seemed a time before.

Seeing a river ahead wider and deeper than a whole trade caravan, the feeling of caution strikes you as your horses diverge from the main road; there is no visible bridge to cross but the horses move on unafraid. It is wide enough to measure at least thirty men from head to toe, and despite the rough terrain, wonder is given to those who think they can jump the pass.

Suddenly, your amulets flash a brilliant green right before you touch the edge of the river and the world shifts in place. What was to be a drop into the cold, wet currents was now replaced by the image of the same dirt road you had just traversed. On each side of you lay fields of wheat and other plants, much like what you would see in arable land.

[6]

Your horses move along the road at a level trot, their ears shifting occasionally at the slightest of sounds.

Soon enough, the boredom of silence is broken as you see two women - one of whom being nearly the age of maturity, and the other of a younger age, both dressed in common clothing along with pieces of leather to match.

The older one speaks, and you note her accent being different from the local dialect. It sounds lighter, and more fluent--pronounced. "Hello travelers! What brings you to our lands? Are you magi of some sort?"

Spoiler: Sal'savira; IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gurrath Halsen; Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:03:22 pm by Tiruin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Turn 1: Freedom | Ch. 1: To Catch A Thief
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 06:31:17 am »

Ecidona smiled down from her steed. These children looked healthy and happy enough for all that tales of the horrors outside the Bastion. Even if there was a bandit problem...

'Mages? she repeated, shaking her head gently. 'Almost the opposite, actually. Why do you ask?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2012, 06:41:46 am »

Shella was fine letting Ecidona talk. She was never much of a Diplomat.

Still, she kept an eye out for an Ambush while the others talked

Shella wasn't quite lax as the others might be. Surely, these two could be simple villagers, curious about them-but they could also be female bandits, luring travelers in and learning their strength before an attack, using their pretty guises.

(Seemingly) Unarmed women were viewed as non-threatening in Human Culture, she supposed. Her Orc senses told her to be on guard-her more Humanoid senses found it all a bit funny. If they started flinging sharp throwing knives from their bodices at the group, Shella would know she had been right. They honestly looked harmless.

She chuckled out loud to herself

Ah, Orc Humor.

She idly stroked her horses mane, while her other hand rested comfortably on the stock of her Slurbow.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:07 am »

Gurrath Sighed, and kept his hands on the reins, spear resting comfortably on his back. Hearing the Orc chuckling, he turns his head towards her direction, and raises an eyebrow.

Look around the area.

If the Orc was chuckling, with a hand resting on that.. Bow thing of hers, maybe she's suspecting an ambush? While Gurrath really didn't want to think that these two children would be part of an ambush, he decided that maybe he should keep an eye out for any possible bandits using this as a diversion.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:41 am »

'Mages? Almost the opposite, actually. Why do you ask?'

"I'm just interested in magic, ma'am. Heard tales of their power from Father...

"You aren't Mage Hunters then?"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:56:53 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »

Eisen's eyes narrowed and his pupils thinned into slits as his eyes, still obscured by the hood, started to shift their gaze, always wary. Even if he preferred not to be always on his toes, he had ro remember himself the outside world was still dangerous.

And something slightly different had happened just now, hadn't it?

Try to discern anything different in the area...Is there any hint of illusion magic, ambush or similar?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:08:12 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2012, 12:23:40 am »

Sal'savira tilted her head at the pair. Curious, curious. So interested in mages and mage hunters.

"Do you ask all such travelers so?" she asked. "What professions are yours? What are Mage Hunters? Have you seen many mages?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2012, 01:12:48 am »

"Do you ask all such travelers so? What professions are yours? What are Mage Hunters? Have you seen many mages?"
"I've only seen what I've heard, um, miss. Imagination and all, what my father and his father before him say but I've seen no mage. And I'm guessing hunters based on what was said. Their- opposites."

She considers the idea before replying, "I've not asked many travelers that. Usually nobody else cares to speak to a villager in their travels. You..aren't lost, are you? Bandits have been spotted nearby."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:01 pm »

...Didn't all seem too quiet?

"Do you happen to know where those bandits would happen to be?" Eisen asked, momentarily turning away from his moment of distraction and smiling at the women.

He then decided to ask something that was in his mind. "If there are bandits roaming these lands, why are you alone here? Wouldn't that put you both in danger?"

Ask
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:53:49 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Turn 2: By the Wayside
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

-Turn 2: By the Wayside-

The woman brightens up at the reactions made by the group, whether from their liveliness or that they weren't 'mages', it wasn't sure. "Bandits are bandits, avoiding the law...I'll answer you all on the way, to save time. Just keep your steed away from me, I'm-... allergic to horses."

Seeing as there was no danger from moving and chatting, and doing both, the five continue along the dust road, occasionally glancing at the fields of wheat flanking them. The only protection they had from a probable ambush were the fences put up by the locals to ward off any stray animals from grazing, and they were in the middle of the path. Further ahead lay a forested region atop an inclined plane, slowly forming a hilly forest, mostly of tall pine, ash, birch and other deciduous trees stretching from off the farmland.

The shadows lengthened, and the noon sun slowly descended from it's apex in the sky, casting brilliant shadows in the clouds, forming an illusion of coming rain. The wheat shifts and turns to the change in the weather, as Shella observes while keeping a hand on her crossbow. An ominous sign, the weather was.

Eisen inspects his Amulet, remembering the boundaries of the Bastion contained wards and presumed Ley-lines which connected the borders to other areas of land nearby. He remembers being told of inscriptions on natural objects which react to living organisms nearing their vicinity and the whimsical thought of teleportation strikes him. While the times have come and gone since his leave of his home, the notion of teleportation would surprisingly explain how the sudden shift of scenery took place. The concept of 'magic', as done by the layman, concerns itself with feelings and sensation-a wholly intangible concept, but something of value to the mind. However, no direct answer presents itself.

"If there are bandits roaming these lands, why are you alone here? Wouldn't that put you both in danger?"

The older woman turns to look back, keeping a fair distance in front while looking onwards. She smiles and gestures onward, speaking as you go. "I don't know exactly where the bandits are, being bandits and all, but they're crafty. Very resourceful given with what they have."

"There is a brook nearby where you could refresh your canteens or waterskins, especially the horses as it seems you've came a long way over yonder. To the North it lies, left junction at the end of this road meeting the forest.

"Is the fact that we're alone concern a traveler like you, by the way? I'm but a-... villager. I guess. In a hierarchical way. Nobody would mind me and I'm sure I can take care of myself. People mostly look out for their own skins nowadays, or so Father said.

"An affront to any of us wouldn't gain much, still. I only carry what I can, and I'm sure you're all ready for facing what you adventurous types would do in case of danger. Or are you mercenaries? People of the traveling companies? I won't question that though, I'm just glad to see well-armed folk in the wilderlands. Ah, but I suppose you're on a hunt- nevermind that thought...

"Ambush, or any sort of danger is a viable idea though, I've to admit. These lands are mostly peaceful and are only threatened by outside forces...but back to the matter at hand.

She gestures in front of her, down at the fork in the road. "Here is where we'll part. Or, there actually. It's nice to talk with others once in a while."

Moments pass until she stops, with you following suit. She sighs as she turns to look at you, a concerned expression on her face along with a hint of disappointment, or tension in her voice. "Just my first word- ah, I mean first impression, but you aren't mages?"

Spoiler: NPCs//Ranges (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sal'savira; IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gurrath Halsen; Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Notes - Updated (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:26:44 pm by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Turn 2: By the Wayside
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

The foxfolk man smiled. These peasant women were certainly curious.

"Yes, miss, we are not mages." Eisen repeated what was already said.

He noticed something, deciding on asking about it. "And why hasn't the younger miss talked so far?"

Ask.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:24:59 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22