Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Returning at a Future Date  (Read 86204 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Turn 16: Unfolding
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:23 am »

Don't worry, GUNIN, it's just a kind of friendly jab.

To be more specific, Tir probably already has a turn but refuses to post thinking it isn't good enough.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2014, 11:59:55 am »

Don't worry, GUNIN, it's just a kind of friendly jab.

To be more specific, Tir probably already has a turn but refuses to post thinking it isn't good enough.
I guess.. :S

Mhm, yes I was talking to her about it on IRC last night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2014, 09:30:07 am »

[placeholder due to being sick and not managing workloads efficiently; main turn post incoming in the next 12 hours]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2014, 09:32:24 am »

Meanwhile...

Trent(!); Terys(!); Kheir(!); Aes(!); Royce (!)

Assist the search for anything useful.
[5]
Kheir pulls up his staff and walks over towards the fallen cliffside, examining closer its outcome. Several fish swim away as he passes by, though he notices the fishes not avoiding the debris after it has settled. Looking through the water around the site of impact and with the light of Aes’ torch, the stone underneath indicates little collateral or spreading damage.

He lifts up his staff and gives a cursory prod on one of the nearest supporting columns of fallen rock, noting down the improvised canopy the cliffside formed that hindered their return. Seeing it as stable, he sifts through the debris on a hunch.

You have found a small opening formed by the force of the falling cliff, approximately five meters in length with various diameter stretching down below into the darkness—using a lightsource to determine what lies beyond only lies in darkness, though the constant fall of water indicates a greater depth than what your vision and the lighting allows.
You notice moss growing erratically on the edges of the sides of this ‘impromptu’ tunnel, along with the same crystalline patches alongside them.

Search the area for anything of note.
[1 > 6]
With a hand on your cuisse and a bristle in your beard, you acknowledge the cave by due merit of its existence, feeling the tip of the water’s skin on your knuckles. It was cool and calming, matching the contemplation mirroring your thoughts.

As Aes lights up her torch in azure flame, you cast your eyes to the original pathway following the water. Judging from the level, and yet the lacking saltiness of the liquid—you judge that it is freshwater; rainwater purified by the stones above, and blessing the local fauna with life.

Turning back towards where you came, your eyes catch the precipitous nature of the rockslide and the breakage it forms. The pooling of the water would indicate another possible passage, furthered by Kheir’s examination. You mark two routes in your mind: the original path forward, though the water-level would indicate a dead end given its height by your standards, or test Kheir’s discovery, though the debris of the cliffside warns ahead of a possible instability. The debris is only as stable as the rest of it supporting itself, as it forms an improvised dome blocking you from the return path.

Looking around, you find insight in appreciating the beauty this minor ecosystem. The moss seem to have a reflective nature, matching the crystalline patches seen earlier—indicative by their pyrite-colored sheen. You note the lack of tree roots this deep, and notice Royce’s crab scaling his leather, vertically and remember the opalesque beauty of gemstones.

The study of luminescence is a fine and crucial art, you note on a random thought springing into your mind. Ecology was, actually, a fine art in theory, yet a very practical one.

Pace.
[4]
The small space you have has only the sounds of wading people, and the occasional splash of water by sudden movement. Stifling your worry, only to have it preoccupied by the rhythm of disturbed water, a thought strikes you. The knight spoke about tests and character, with abstract traits definitive of readiness to face the world. Flicking the water with one of your fingers, you find sense in foresight with this notion: What if the whole scenario you were in was a test in of itself? The recent disaster was lethal in its own right, yet gazing around you find everyone focused on continuation—or in the least, escape. You wonder if the concept of being tested has any merit in this situation, or on any future situations: and for what? Is this a passage to facing the world, despite the admittance to the Bastion and the region being a free choice?

You recall your past and the training you’ve had with the men of the field-and-castle, noting their friendliness and openness to any predicament or disaster; optimism in the face of holistic vision, and not blind optimism. Your thoughts drift outside of this situation until Kheir calls out a new find: the wreckage of what was once a cliff wall has made a new passage, and this one being hollowed out.

Was this still a test? And if it was-

The greyhound brushes against your leg and looks up you, standing in front of you with its tail wagging expectantly. It looks at Kheir’s find, before looking back at you, as if matching your deep insight.
Retrieve crab, talk to peeps, look around to see if there are any routes of egress.
[5]
You check around, using the crab as a lightsource—propping it on the hair of your forehead as it clings with its legs. Lighting up the original path, it seems like it continues in the natural order you found the passage as. Presence of scattered fish and moss in varying forms of growth as well as the ever present level of water, lead to the ideas of the formation of a dead-end, though the idea of underground rivers or outlets from rainwater was also a possibility given the structure of the rock, compared to when you entered this area.

Utilizing your memory of world lore, you remember in vague sketches that the particular area you stand on is a host to a hollow cavern, presumably habitable—judged as such due to how vague you remember it, though you cannot recall exactly where the idea was hoisted from. The facts of natural phenomena such as earthquakes occurring in the area somehow did not cause notable superficial damage to the lands above, and recalling your recent experiences beneath as various creatures, it didn’t affect the underground much.

You look back at the others to check their finds before Kheir announces a rather strange sighting back at the cliff debris. Looking around with your eyepatch, you only detect the energy of the animals nearby, and looking deeper towards the original passage, see none.

You feel uncomfortable for a moment, before the feeling passes as you feel the prickly legs of your crab on your shoulder. It is scaling your arm like a mountaineer: vertically and slowly.

Aes picked up the rope, and attempted to set fire to her torch..
[4 > 4]
Recalling the principle of equivalence under the laws of energy, you draw upon personal stores to light the torch in your hands, feeling a little winded yet joyful as a small jet of bluish flame hugs the wet torch, wrapping and sticking onto it as you see the water evaporate and let off a faint hiss, before returning to its yellow hue.

Feeling the rope, your fingers note its dynamic nature, built to absorb forces which would strain its elasticity and durability, noting once more its length: it was much more than enough to scale the now ruined cliffside thrice over. On impulse, you dedicate the tiniest of lengths to the flame, and find that it takes a very long time to burn—rather, you are interrupted before you note any tangible destruction by Kheir’s find.

Spoiler: Positioning (click to show/hide)

Characters:
Spoiler: Aes Nain ; Skyrunner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trent Alzar ; adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kheir ; Reudh (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:36:29 am by Tiruin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 06, 2014, 03:02:06 am »

"I was a frog down here one time. Stop pinching. But, yeah. Nice place for a frog to live I guess but it's boring. Come on, let's get moving." Royce grabbed the crab between his hands, claws facing away from him. "Come on, pup. Let's keep it going." He whistled at the dog and started toward the opening.

Explore that tunnel Kheir found.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 06, 2014, 03:51:48 am »

"Excellent. A tunnel. I've always liked tunnels."
Follow Royce into the tunnel.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2014, 07:18:04 am »

Admire the crystals. Also examine.

Nain packs away the rope, and looks at the shiny rocks in the tunnel. Shiny!

"I wonder if these crystals are worth anything ..."

Follow the Kheir.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:09 am »

"The path ahead is likely a dead end from what I gather, and while the path Kheir found is probably a different story it is very likely to be unstable, especially after the collapse that just occurred. We can probably follow the original path to check if my theory is correct, but if we don't then the only way forward is the unstable tunnel in which case we should proceed with severe caution, as a dwarf I am quite against dying in a cave in."

Follow Kheir, but keep an eye on the condition of the tunnel and warn the others if I think it's stability gets worse.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2014, 07:04:37 am »

"Hmm. Khier, Trent, you're a pair of stout fellows. Mind grabbing that rope from Aes and using it to lower me down safely so I can get a look around?" Royce tapped his metal eyepatch. "This baby's not just for looks. I can see auras through it, so I can kinda see if anything's down there. Plus if I get eaten, no big deal. I won't be able to help you guys for... 3 to 100 years, depending on what I reincarnate as, but it's not like I'll die permanently or anything like you guys."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26:32 am »

"You're a strange one, Royce. I'll grab the rope for you."

Kheir goes over to Aes and asks for the rope.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #325 on: October 11, 2014, 08:42:02 am »

"Sure, but you have to give it back. I like this rope."

Aes hands over the rope happily.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2016, 10:17:06 am »

(rest in peaceful dreams, ToSD)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2016, 10:20:58 am »

...So I didn't make an ending post! :-X

Yeah, expect a follow-up game with refined mechanics later on.
...Probably in a lesser stressy atmosphere because I've learned my anxiety was the major detriment to this game (...updating 2 months in between? <_<).
But I'm really thankful to have played it with you guys. You are all awesome, and I am deeply thankful to have played host to you people as players. :))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Returning at a Future Date
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:01 am »

Two years.. so long ago...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Shattered Dreams, Returning at a Future Date
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2016, 11:19:33 am »

Two years.. so long ago...
Nostalgia for many people :P It's nice to remember all those games you've played in.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]