Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Guild 2/ Guild II - The Renaissance  (Read 18046 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
The Guild 2/ Guild II - The Renaissance
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:06 am »

I've picked this on Steam a month or so back and I didn't see a thread on it.

The Guild 2 is a strange hybrid of economic simulation, life simulation and RPG. Players first take command of a single member of a lower-middle-class dynasty and must expand their wealth by building various holdings and participating in trading. The dynasty can be expanded when your character gets married and you can set your spouse and offspring to work in your venues. 

There are three expansions in the series with the final, Renaissance, being a stand-alone title and contains all the features from the first three expansions sans The Pirates campaign mode. The Guild 2 was originally published by JoWooD Entertainment and developed by 4HEAD Studios which to my knowledge no longer exists. Renaissance was picked up by RuneForge who reported as having trouble adapting to 4HEAD's rather unorthodox coding style.
The game is by no means perfect and it has a great deal of flaws. The UI is particularly unfriendly and the Renaissance stand alone comes without a tutorial.

The game features a control system similar to "The Sims" series where individual characters of your dynasty/work-force can be commanded in real-time separably. Characters can be sent to owned venues to do a various collection of jobs like production of goods or serving drinks.
The game features a rather in-depth political system where you can move up the social rank by purchasing titles and even become the mayor. Interaction between other AI-controlled dynasty is extremely important to keep your dynasty in power and intrigue is a must for any power hungry player. 

The game features RPG mechanics in the form of player stats and classes. Stats affect your ability to do everything in the game, from being a charismatic trader to a burly thug to a productive crafter. These are affected by your starting investment in stats as well as your star sign. Characters can level-up and add to these stats. 
The game also has four "classes" or "professions" which will govern how you play the game and the areas the character will focus on. It includes: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The game boosts a rather impressive economy where price is determined by supply and demand. For those of you that love gaming economics you'll find some fund to be have starving cities or your enemies of resources. Making and maintaining a long supply line of resources from your industries is paramount to success.
If you're anything like me and wanted to set up your own medieval tavern with wine and song this might also be the game for you.

With the basic game explanation out of the way we can talk about the negatives.
The UI as previously stated is dreadful and the leaning curve rather steep. It took me a long to figure out how to interact with buildings or how to set up a trading route. I still don't know how to check what's turning a profit and what's costing me money and maintaining some industries seem to require a lot of micromanagement.

It's recommend that you buy the stand-alone since it contains the most features but the lack of tutorial is pretty jarring. I've scoured google for a bit but couldn't find any really decent guide/tutorial so you're best bet is to watch the original game's tutorial on youtube, although the quality of the recordings are pretty bad.
If anyone knows or can write up a decent starting guide please feel free to post it, it would greatly help new players get into the game.

The game is a innovative title but it's also an extremely rough one. The premise alone might be enough to draw you in but the mechanics might (understandably) push you away.

Some screenshots courtesy Google Images.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:22:05 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild 2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:15:05 am »

Ah... yes, I've played this.

And yea, there has been a thread or two of this somewhere...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild 2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:18:14 am »

Ah... yes, I've played this.

And yea, there has been a thread or two of this somewhere...
Did a search and couldn't find anything. That said I wasn't able to make a search for the "Guild 2" but only the "Guild II" due to that silly 2 digit minimum.
I'm sure a new thread couldn't hurt at all, doesn't seem to be the most popular game in the world.  :)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild 2/ Guild II - The Renaissance
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:58:11 am »

This game was fun but I found it hindered by bugs and the UI. I still haven't learned how to serve food at an inn. I mostly focused on scholars though, to be fair so maybe I didn't spend enough time on the inn interface.

I honestly wished someone made a more polished version of this game, although that seems highly unlikely.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:41:09 am »

This game was fun but I found it hindered by bugs and the UI. I still haven't learned how to serve food at an inn. I mostly focused on scholars though, to be fair so maybe I didn't spend enough time on the inn interface.

I honestly wished someone made a more polished version of this game, although that seems highly unlikely.
You might have been selling straight alcohol instead of turning it into Weak Beer with wheat. It was on of my first mistakes. The interface is still a nightmare however.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:49:05 am »

I played the first game (Europa 1400) a while back. Very interesting game concept, I enjoyed it.

Haven't gotten around to playing the sequel yet. I plan on grabbing it the next time it gets a steam discount.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »

Balance issues (and "Out of sync" errors in multiplayer) aside it's an enjoyable game.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

mushroom_ff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:23 pm »

I really enjoyed this game, but it is a bit hindered with bugs and such. The latest adaptation of it seems to be the least buggy though.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:41 pm »

It's a great concept without enough depth to keep me interested for too long. Balance issues plague it. The economy as run by the NPC's is pretty borked, so you usually have to gather your own high tier materials, even if they're part of another trade. Catching the plague is a death sentence if you're not a late-game scholar, unless you're amazingly lucky and the healing house has one that hasn't been claimed yet (Don't bother bringing your own, since it doesn't work). There's so many things that you find yourself wishing that you could do that you can't. It's like they had fifty good ideas and tried making them all at once rather than making each one good on its own right.

Worth picking up if you find a sale, if just for a look at the number of ideas and concepts the game has. Just don't expect a lot of replayability, unless you're a very dedicated player.

One thing I enjoyed was combining professions. Scholar + Rogue was pretty fun, since you could gather large groups of people with snake oil salesmen and have your thieves rob them blind while they're distracted. The 3 character limit prevented a lot of experimentation in a single game, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:29 pm »

Ah yes, "The Guild 2: Out of Sync". A good time waster of mine, but only when playing alone, as multiplayer is frequently nuked.It's fun to rise to the top of the political ladder through bribes, your wife, and assassination. Then using your power to get your spouse right below you politically. Once you get to the top, in my experience, it's nearly impossible to fall. Especially as a patron, since I've destroyed the other dynasties in the town that compete with me, making me the sole source of immediate provisions.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:34:41 pm »

Bump!

There was a massive patch released for this yesterday, version 4.20. It's been in development for, I think, several years.

Changelog can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/39680/announcements/detail/201865556463466829

Been waiting a long time for this, so it's a good excuse to reinstall an old favourite. How about you guys? Has anyone tried out the patch yet, and if so, any thoughts? Is it as good as it looks?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:45 pm »

Downloading the update now. I hope it's a good one, although I have my doubts considering how much was broken before. Still, the guild had the potential to be amazing if it wasn't for it's buggy and incomplete implementation, so the hope that it could have been been fixed is a attractive one.

Edit: I'll admit I've played this update for less then a hour. But it still seems pretty buggy and meh. I'm not sure if the underlying brokenness of the economy was addressed, but it's still seems to be a buggy pos. Maybe I'll check it out more when it's not so late, but it's not really looking hopeful. :/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:40:53 pm by Criptfeind »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

I've played about half an hour, seems ok so far. I have encountered one bug where I saw a man running past my house but his animation was frozen in place.

What bugs did you get, Criptfeind?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:02:41 pm »

Unresponsiveness (not for the buttons along the bottom, but for clicking on things in game sometimes it will refuse for several clicks or even require me to reselect the character/reclick the order) and my trade routs being inexplicably canceled, followed by the inability to remake them. (Manual still works fine.) Nether are total deal breakers of course, but it's a pretty bad sign.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:25 pm »

That (unresponsive orders) only happens to me when I'm on slow/pause game speed. For whatever reason, the UI response is slowed along with the simulation. Really weird design decision.

I'll play a bit more and see if the trade route thing pops up too.
Pages: [1] 2 3