Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a mecha game (Maybe image heavy)  (Read 1366 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a mecha game (Maybe image heavy)
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

I'm working on some sort of Mecha game for the forum role playing section. I've got some world building ideas done and some basic mechanics set up, but I thought I would sound some stuff out here first. Beware, as there is some pretty heavy image spam ere'. The final product will be augmented by many scanned sketches, but for now everything's a paint mockup. So, without further ado...

Here's a little map.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The color of the tile indicates what kind of terrain it is. A colored circle indicates that terrain is attackable and becomes the kind of terrain that the circle is the color of. So for example, the grey tile (Road) is a bridge and can be destroyed, turning it into a shallow water tile. And the dark green tiles with the light green circles are forests that can be destroyed and turned into grassland.
The dark grey tiles with the light grey circles are buildings that can be knocked over. The black arrows indicate raised or sunken terrain, so then D6 is basically a ditch and A3 and B3 are hills. Also, the letter-number combinations are mechas or vehicles. So in this scene we have a set of gearhead mechs standing near a highway. A civilian mech is standing outside a hospital with a ditch next to it, while two Function-faction mechas hide behind the hills and wait to ambush the gearheads. Although of course F1 is clearly visible and not taking cover. Whoops.
Here's a huge freakin' map.
There's a grain silo in the upper left of the map and a big pile of scrap (unstable footing) in the lower left. Dark gray is buildings, dark green is forest.

Now on the mechanics!
Here's a mecha's stat page showing all it's various components. The various blank boxes will contain drawings of the parts for visual aid, plus the big box will be all the parts stuck together. Obviously a big component of the game is finding more components and mix and matching them.
This is an example of combat, I guess.
This is an example of how line of sight kinda doesn't work.
Lastly, here's a weirder bit of game element stuff.

Now, there's heat, overheating and cooling to worry about, but also stability (You get knocked over by explosives) and radio communication as elements I want to include. The setting for the game is going to be a sort of Ghibli hills cosy catastrophe post apocalypse with heavy steampunk elements (hence rivet guns and heavy smoke). Salvage obviously will be emphasised, but hopefully it's going to be an open-ended sandbox kinda deal.

Any suggestions for gameplay elements, mecha/vehicle parts, factions or general fluff? Also, someone wanna test play a skirmish for me?

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a mecha game (Maybe image heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »

This is going to be a forum game? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit complex, considering most forum games are just say an action, then wait for the GM. You have a solid idea, but executing it will be difficult.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »

This is going to be a forum game? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit complex, considering most forum games are just say an action, then wait for the GM. You have a solid idea, but executing it will be difficult.

Yeah. But it seems to me stuff of this quality has been done on those forums before, and I've got at least the follow-through to get it launched. I shouldn't let the anarchy and simplicity stop me, right? :P Wrote up a big ol' part list although things aren't priced yet. Arena testers will have to get by on the barter system for now while they shoot rivets at each other. Drew and scanned each mecha part, but image scaling comes next. Here are a few sample pictures so people have a rough idea what to expect.

Good god are those pictures huge. Any idea what sort of formatting I should use to re-size those images? Anyways, tomorrow I'm going to launch the store and arena thread thing for more testing purposes and have the forum blast poor NPC gladiator mechas. EDIT: Found the re-size button in paint. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:58:52 pm by Glacies »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:01:47 pm »

Count me so far in I can't see back to where i was before. I tried running something similar before (the now completely dead "Everlasting Mech War" which just could not be done how I wanted to do it) but if you can manage this then I'll gladly play it, or help with anything as well. I love these mecha games.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »

Could you link the store and arena thread in the OP, because I'm interested, but I couldn't find the thread.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).