Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help finding an article or documentary  (Read 1031 times)

Suprofessional

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help finding an article or documentary
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:49 am »

I'm not sure whether or not this exactly belongs here, but this is where I'm putting it.

I'm taking an English composition course at my college right now. In a recent essay we were assigned, we were told to think of a subject, find an article or documentary relating to it, and then either defend or dispute the original with two other materials. I know what subject I want to do, and I have two other materials I can prepare to dispute it, but I'm having issues finding an article or documentary for the source material.
The subject I'm covering is video games in correlation to life. I wanted the source material to be a negative depiction, that presents games as mostly irrelevant to real life, and dealing with issues in it. I couldn't find anything through Google, so if anyone knows anything I could use for the source, I would greatly appreciate it.

Alternatively, if someone can offer a different perspective on something I could do with the two materials I already have ready, that would be appreciated as well.

The materials I have prepared are the documentaries Second Skin and Indie Game: The Movie, along with various articles I found throughout my searching.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding an article or documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:26 am »

Did you look in stuff like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy and/or try searching for stuff like https://www.google.com/search?q=video+game+alienation+study or other negative keywords, then track down the original papers (not always easy from media accounts, but with the author and year you should be able to get one eventually)...

Suprofessional

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding an article or documentary
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »

Now that I think about it, using the word alienation never crossed my mind. And I didn't actually know Wikipedia had an article on that. Thanks for the links, now hopefully I can get a decent rough draft done by next week.