Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I'm having a baby.  (Read 4601 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having a baby.
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:43 am »

Go with Silver instead. It's a fairly cool name for guys, and it doesn't rhyme with anything either.
Filter and anything paired with the word Her.
Silver? I barely even know her!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:05 am »

Go with Silver instead. It's a fairly cool name for guys, and it doesn't rhyme with anything either.
Filter and anything paired with the word Her.
That's a forced rhyme at best, though I guess it would work for kids. Technically silver ends with a "vər" sound, meaning the only word it has a true rhyme with is "chilver", which is a female lamb. It's even on wikipedia's list of english words without rhymes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:15 am »

I don't think children particularly care about poetry rules when it comes to rhyming. Forced rhymes are perfectly legitimate to their context.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:27 am »

Also...."Angel?" That's a "Do Not Pass Go, Go Directly To Working The Dance Pole At The Foxy Lady."  :-\

That's one test that I've found I like -- Would your child have a lucrative career as a stripper? If yes, find another name.
My wife's test was to practice yelling it into the backyard, as if you're calling the child in for dinner.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 11:48:00 am »

Angel is apparently also a male name among Hispanics, so that could cause problems. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a girl named Angel. It's also a last name sometimes.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:30 am »

I've actually met some people named Angel, and for you information only 1 out of 3 ended up working in that type of business. :P Besides, I was looking for words that didn't have rhymes and could be used as names, not words that were great names along with not having rhymes. In that case your best thing to do is pick a name from a foreign language that doesn't have rhymes in ours. Neither "Muhammed" nor "Raju" has good rhymes in english. Of course unless you look particularly arabic or indian your kid will probably get weird looks for having a name like that anyways.

I guess the real lesson to remember here is that children are merciless devils and regardless of what you pick they will come up with something if they want to.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »

Just pick a name that will deter children from messing with your kid in the first place. Like Destructor or Fleshripper. For bonus points, come up with a really badass epithet to go along with it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »

What about "Hurricane!" including the exclamation mark!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »

*fills baby bath with hot lion blood and elephant piss*

MY CHILD SHALL RULE.

Also.

*fills bath with the congratulations in this thread, then swims gloriously*
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:50 pm »

Are you allowed to do that? I know for sure that you can't put numbers into your name in the U.S., but what about punctuation? Next thing we know we end up with this.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:50 pm »

Constantine or Catherine. It's the only option.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »

Constantine or Catherine. It's the only option.
Or Catherintine.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 07:39:40 pm »

Are you allowed to do that? I know for sure that you can't put numbers into your name in the U.S., but what about punctuation? Next thing we know we end up with this.
If it sounds cool and awesome enough, everything is possible.

"Bow down to the glory of Hurricane!"

Sounds badass enough for me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:25 pm »

Are you allowed to do that? I know for sure that you can't put numbers into your name in the U.S., but what about punctuation?
You sure about that? I highly doubt there are any naming restrictions after the actions of The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

If it were down to me, the boy would be named Tiberius, easily.
Yes.
Bonus points if middle name is Kirk.

"Dark Rose" is pretty good for the girl, but I'm not sure I'm on-board with "Crown Crags" for the boy.
Well when you put it like that, yes to both.

For the names: Don't pick anything that sounds strange or is unique or is obsolete. Kids most often have problems getting into their age groups when their names sound 'strange' :P
No, that's pop culture childcare. Kids can use any name to mess with other kids. It isn't at all hard to make up something rhyming and obnoxious for almost any name. Except Orange. You could totally get past that with Orange, but then they'd be named Orange.
Yeah, and besides, if they don't like it they can go by something different. Better to start with Gilgamesh and trade down to George than start with Bob in the hopes that he'll be camouflaged.

Also...."Angel?" That's a "Do Not Pass Go, Go Directly To Working The Dance Pole At The Foxy Lady."  :-\

That's one test that I've found I like -- Would your child have a lucrative career as a stripper? If yes, find another name.
My wife's test was to practice yelling it into the backyard, as if you're calling the child in for dinner.
My favorite for this is still Chastity. It's like, really, what do you think is gonna happen here?

Your wife's test is interestingly pragmatic, though.

Are you allowed to do that? I know for sure that you can't put numbers into your name in the U.S., but what about punctuation?
You sure about that? I highly doubt there are any naming restrictions after the actions of The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.
Multiple words are fairly well established, that was just an extreme example; punctuation or numbers less so.

Though I did hear a story once about a politician in the US. He was running for office, and wanted to have his name legally changed to "None of the Above." The judge denied his request, officially because it wasn't a genuine desire, but possibly unofficially because he thought the guy'd win. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3]