Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darkfall Promotion--20x XP, 4x Loot, etc.  (Read 1628 times)

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Darkfall Promotion--20x XP, 4x Loot, etc.
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:04 am »

Darkfall is an open world MMO with full pvp, crafting, and pve. Combat requires aiming (aim to shoot/cast spells/attack with weapon) rather than locking-on like more traditional mmo's. The company is putting on a pretty big promotion, too:

"Dear Friends,

We are happy to announce our ultimate Darkfall promotion that features:

Epic skill-up increase by 20x, 4x global loot, and village control points go active every 6 hours.
Return to Darkfall promotion for 2+2 days for free. (free days have passed)
Get Darkfall for the price of the subscription
The subscription fee reduction to 9.95."

This promotion goes on until Darkfall 2.0 arrives. Basically, it costs $10 to play, and skills increase incredibly fast. The grind is drastically reduced, and the time it takes to be pvp-ready along with it. What do you guys think?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Darkfall Promotion--20x XP, 4x Loot, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:03:58 am »

P2P MMO -> Fukkit.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:48 am »

What does this do better than Guild Wars 2?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19:55 am »

I think the fact that they can quadruple drops and boost xp gain to private server levels without throwing everything out of whack is a little concerning. Just what was this game like normally?

Independently, I've also heard it was grindy as hell, which makes sense when you have to re-get all of your stuff every time you die in a game with completely open PvP. I don't doubt there can be more to the game than killing gnolls so you can be re-ambushed by dickheads, but I'm not very convinced that shows through very often.

In short, no thanks.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:39:26 am »

Meh, Don't really want to return to a game where I'd be constantly plagued by asshats, even if I did find it somewhat fun when I wasn't being owned, disrupted or trolled.

Although I still have a slight soft spot for the game

dezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

Free til Unholy Wars is released! :D

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

Sounds like a poor fix for some of the fundamental design flaws that I remember. Outside of PvP there were only 2 options: explore (loses its appeal eventually) or grind. But everything always came back to the latter. If they wanted to emulate UO they failed to capture all the other stuff which made it a great RPG such as fun exploration, building a personal space for yourself (instead of preset RTS style bases you can build up), and a variety of crafting options that didn't always come back to combat. My memory might be off on some things but overall I think it'd need a lot of work before I'd consider going back.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.