Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I continue to have all guns with one skill, or seperate them into different skills?

Seperate. It makes it more like traditional dwarf fortress, and helps to keep squads orginized better.
Keep together. Combat isn't the only focuse of the mod, and having it only one skill has several advantages of its own.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern. Histories of Industry and Warfare  (Read 37668 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:29 pm »

Feel like you should work on civ then find someone's firearms mod and slap that over, also grab Dfhack to include it's steam engine which draws power from water.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »

Pole up! I want to know weather to focus on the military or on civilian stuff, so tell me what you think

Focus? Personally, I'm looking for a good balance between the two that makes it feel like I'm playing in as modernized a world as DF's underlying code allows for.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »

Everything runs on capacitors. <_<

I guess I will call them capacitors then. Almost have the electricity up, the first thing I plan to power them with is a one-tile workshop called a "computer" that uses one 25% of the time and gets up some skill when used. But first, I am giving the goblins a Siaga so they have more then one weapon.
Cool.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:34 pm »

Feel like you should work on civ then find someone's firearms mod and slap that over, also grab Dfhack to include it's steam engine which draws power from water.

Possible, but I really don't want this to become a random Frankenstein of other people's work. I want it to be something I can do when I have nothing better to do.

Focus? Personally, I'm looking for a good balance between the two that makes it feel like I'm playing in as modernized a world as DF's underlying code allows for.

That would be ideal, of course. I keep setting myself to do it, but I keep getting the job error "JOB CANCELED: MUST GO TO SCHOOL" or "JOB CANCELLED: MUST HELP FAMILY". Until I can get those job issues fixed, I can only do it one piece at a time.

Of course I could try to do both, but it is equally as possible that I would come up with a failed layout and a failed weaponry. It might happen. You do have to remember this mod isn't even a week old yet, and I started it when I had a massive amount of free time...

Cool.

Little late. I got the computer working a while ago, it trains a few skills depending on the job it is set to do. Also got the arc smelter up, now I am trying to figure out what to do next.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 10:06:51 pm »

How about rock -> aluminum? Seems simple, no?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:51 pm »

How about rock -> aluminum? Seems simple, no?

Possible, but I would probably have to do something with aluminum to make it worthwhile, or it would be just giving you free valuable metal for no reason.

Maybe I could add a rock like bauxite, and make it require several capacitors to work? That might work... I might go add it to the reaction list tomorrow. To late now.

Well I did it, thanks for the suggestion. Now at the arc furnace you can make a bar of aluminum from bauxite and three capacitors, to keep the cost up a bit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:46:36 pm by Stirk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »

Well new version up. I do like your guy's suggestions, it is a lot easier then thinking of civilian stuff for myself...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »

Updated! Now it looks like we are about even on the military/civilian thing. Anyone have anything specific they want to add?

And now this mod has it's first hundred views!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »

If you get stuck on something like workshops, you can always get help from the fourums.  But I learned most of what I know just from trial and error, so you may want to try jumping in and feeling it out.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »

If you get stuck on something like workshops, you can always get help from the fourums.  But I learned most of what I know just from trial and error, so you may want to try jumping in and feeling it out.

Ah, making stuff is the easy part. Coming up with ideas is the hard part. Besides, I like to know what you guys want so I can build it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »

Now added the rifles I wanted to, sig snipers for the dwarves and SVDs for the goblins. Basically they are closer to my original gun design, with heavier bullets that do more damage to larger things when they hit, but with a significantly slower rate of fire. It also slows down their movement.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »

Angel is ready. They are basically human sized humans, with tissues that regenerate almost immediately. Shoot one in the leg? It hurts for a second, but then it is back up. Shoot one in the head? Its ok. It keeps two "heads" in code just for such an occasion. I also gave it abilities to make up for it's lack of size, starting with a regenerative ability, so it can get back the lost limbs, natural legendary dodging, fighting, and swordsmanship which it uses for its basically admantine claws. It also has a "spin attack", which hits pretty much any dwarf in close range with a weak hit meant to give the angel an opening to attack. On top of that it is naturally fast, and a building destroyer. It can also be kept as a pet if you manage to knock it out into a cage trap. I hope to give it more abilities when I can think of some, feel free to suggest them.

Next I am going in the opposite direction and making a huge tank, the Juggernaut.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »

Angel is ready. They are basically human sized humans, with tissues that regenerate almost immediately. Shoot one in the leg? It hurts for a second, but then it is back up. Shoot one in the head? Its ok. It keeps two "heads" in code just for such an occasion. I also gave it abilities to make up for it's lack of size, starting with a regenerative ability, so it can get back the lost limbs, natural legendary dodging, fighting, and swordsmanship which it uses for its basically admantine claws. It also has a "spin attack", which hits pretty much any dwarf in close range with a weak hit meant to give the angel an opening to attack. On top of that it is naturally fast, and a building destroyer. It can also be kept as a pet if you manage to knock it out into a cage trap. I hope to give it more abilities when I can think of some, feel free to suggest them.

Next I am going in the opposite direction and making a huge tank, the Juggernaut.
Two questions:
They are basically human sized humans
Wut?

Awesome, I could never manage to get regen to work like that, but... why?

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

Wut?

Human sized humanoids. Close, but I was just in a hurry to get to dinner.

What do you mean why? I needed stronger megabeasts so I made one.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 09:15:35 pm »

Wut?

Human sized humanoids. Close, but I was just in a hurry to get to dinner.

What do you mean why? I needed stronger megabeasts so I made one.
Oh, that makes more sense, but you can just say they're humanoids, I think human-sized is implied.

And I was just curious, if you wanted your mod to be more modern; why would you include something that is so unrealistic?  But that's assuming you want a modern world.  Are you just going to make the Dwarves modern, to have a bit of a badass-normal type thing going on?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15