Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I continue to have all guns with one skill, or seperate them into different skills?

Seperate. It makes it more like traditional dwarf fortress, and helps to keep squads orginized better.
Keep together. Combat isn't the only focuse of the mod, and having it only one skill has several advantages of its own.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern. Histories of Industry and Warfare  (Read 37695 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:15 pm »

So you made Logan aka Wolverine.
So the megabeast are Mutants from the X-men?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 09:36:12 pm »

And I was just curious, if you wanted your mod to be more modern; why would you include something that is so unrealistic?  But that's assuming you want a modern world.  Are you just going to make the Dwarves modern, to have a bit of a badass-normal type thing going on?

Its modern fantasy, considering all the fantasy of dwarf fortress is still there. You will still have dragons attack your fortress. Think of it like I don't know, Robocop, Buffy the Vampire slayer, Helsing, Marvel comics etc.  You still have goblins attacking dwarves, dragons coming from nowhere, its not like it is a completely realistic mod. That would be boring.

And I had based the angel off of an anime I saw once:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So you made Logan aka Wolverine.
So the megabeast are Mutants from the X-men?

He was one of the inspirations, though for balance issues the claws are of admantine and the bones are of bone. Juggernaut, though I guess is the name of a mutant from the X-Man, is just a huge tank.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 09:45:27 pm »

Yeah, that makes this mod at least !!SCIENCE!! times better.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »

Point of Science:

You stated that the flak jacket protects against blunt damage, but sharp things go right through.  That's basically what modern day flak jackets do.  They're a high collar vest filled with shot/sand type stuff.  Think lighter weight version of bomb disposal gear.  If you want bullet proof, go Kevlar, with a steel plate backing, they're called trauma plates.

Suggestion:

Possibly add Night Vision Goggles.  Not much use in Fort Mode, very useful in Adventure Mode.

Use Pitchblende (moderately radioactive) as a reagent in the Charge Battery job.

Add 10% drop rate of Nickel bar to Galena.  5% chance to Limonite.  Make Nickel Metal Hydride batteries as well as Lead Acid Batteries.  Adjust weights and charge capacities.

Currently no ores of Lithium exist in game, but you could add an ore and make Lithium ion batteries as well.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

Point of Science:

You stated that the flak jacket protects against blunt damage, but sharp things go right through.  That's basically what modern day flak jackets do.  They're a high collar vest filled with shot/sand type stuff.  Think lighter weight version of bomb disposal gear.  If you want bullet proof, go Kevlar, with a steel plate backing, they're called trauma plates.

Ah, it would be great if I could do that. It is kind of difficult with the bizarre way that DF calculates range attacks, so basically no armor can pierce them. Go ahead to go to the arena and try putting full adamantine armor on your dwarves, a wooden crossbow bolt will just go right threw. Since that is there, it makes it really hard to actually do any armor for our dwarves.

Possibly add Night Vision Goggles.  Not much use in Fort Mode, very useful in Adventure Mode.

Ahh that would be great. It might even be possible. It might be hard coded, Ill have to ask someone.

Use Pitchblende (moderately radioactive) as a reagent in the Charge Battery job.

I was going to make a nuclear plant later and make some new minerals to help with that, so I can use that there.

Add 10% drop rate of Nickel bar to Galena.  5% chance to Limonite.  Make Nickel Metal Hydride batteries as well as Lead Acid Batteries.  Adjust weights and charge capacities.

Currently no ores of Lithium exist in game, but you could add an ore and make Lithium ion batteries as well.

Ah, interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I can implement some of them later.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:58 pm »

Ahh that would be great. It might even be possible. It might be hard coded, Ill have to ask someone.
I don't know how you could do that with armor.  You could do it with an ingested syndrome, a kind of "Night-Vision Cheese" or something though, and that would be rather easy (I think).  I'm not sure how one could do it with Armor though.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »

Next release will have various interactions for various senses, first off vampires et al being able to sense things that have blood.  Using the tablet framework, ala necromancers, make a "tablet" called NVG's with an interaction that makes night vision.  We'll have to see how that plays out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:54 pm »

Next release will have various interactions for various senses, first off vampires et al being able to sense things that have blood.  Using the tablet framework, ala necromancers, make a "tablet" called NVG's with an interaction that makes night vision.  We'll have to see how that plays out.

Ah, didn't know what. Yeah, then I should be able to make the NVG next round, thanks for the information.

Though I don't think I can do anything with it this version.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:42:17 pm by Stirk »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »

Sweet!  I still think cheese would be a much more reasonable way to do it (In DF, at least).  And easier.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

Sweet!  I still think cheese would be a much more reasonable way to do it (In DF, at least).  And easier.

I could add it to a syndrome of some kind, if I could find the token for vision. Assuming I want to keep the NVG style, I could make a high temperature NVG item (not to high, maybe 10090 Urist) and a NVG battery item that could explode when touched, giving the syndrome temporarily. I could just make it a beer. But I don't know the token for vision, if there is one, or how it would effect the night. Fortress mode would remain unaffected, unless I wanted to make it kind of "binoculars" to use during the day.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 10:50:52 pm »

You mean... BeerGoggles   8)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

That way, it's lore-friendly!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 06:21:02 pm »

................ ::)

Well the two megabeasts work. I just made the juggernaught have a higher fire rate, a much bigger size, and slowed it down a bit as an after thought. They both still need balances done, be sure to keep giving me feedback!

In legends, angels don't preform as well as I would like. Since they are human sized, most of the conflicts they are in are not really conflicts, and they die a lot more often then most magabeasts. Juggernauts, on the other hand, are HUGE, and thus have a long record of slaughter and many enemies. Though in a battle, they are pretty even. So I will update this version in a second...

I thought I should post it before I forget. I was thinking of making heavy weapons, and since you can't make siege worksops, I was thinking about making a workshop that drops transformation stones to turn your dwarf into a heavy weapon temporarily, to represent them getting in the machine. What do you guys think?

I also did a minor change on the tanks. I used to use lead for both attacks, but it didn't work well. So now you have a quick range attack, the machine gun, that fires lead to use against infantry, and the cannon fire that shoots slade, capable of piercing armor.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:03:03 pm by Stirk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »

Well I think I am going to go with the transformation thing. I have the stuff almost ready, in the next update you will get a tank depot that allows you to pay a little bit of things to get your dwarf into a tank for a little bit. Probably going to add some other vehicles, maybe a helicopter or something (though if your dwarf is in mid air when he transforms back, good luck).

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »

Well I think I am going to go with the transformation thing. I have the stuff almost ready, in the next update you will get a tank depot that allows you to pay a little bit of things to get your dwarf into a tank for a little bit. Probably going to add some other vehicles, maybe a helicopter or something (though if your dwarf is in mid air when he transforms back, good luck).
You could make the transformation have no end, and just have a reverse of the action in the depot?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15