Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I continue to have all guns with one skill, or seperate them into different skills?

Seperate. It makes it more like traditional dwarf fortress, and helps to keep squads orginized better.
Keep together. Combat isn't the only focuse of the mod, and having it only one skill has several advantages of its own.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern. Histories of Industry and Warfare  (Read 37362 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Modern. Histories of Industry and Warfare
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:55 am »

Dwarf fortress modern is an attempt to keep the style and feel of dwarf fortress and bring it to a modern setting, while adding to the fun! New weapons and vehicles for your military, as well as things like factories for your civilians, this mod attempts to keep some fantasy aspects while making the game much more similar to the modern day. Many more things have  been added, just read this forum a little bit to find out what! And of course, I am looking for a lot of suggestions to see what you guys want, don't hesitate to suggest something!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7049 Download the current version!

--------------Change log---------------

--------------Civilian--------------
Added oil
Added petroleum
Added energy, from burning petroleum
Added cars, which speed up your dwarves and act as pets.
Added factory, produces furniture and goods
Added arc furnace, makes steel and lead better
Added computer, that trains your dwarves
Added chemistry workshop. Makes soap, as well as preforming other functions involving chemistry, like making Kevlar.
Added trucks, that transport goods better
Added clothing for flavor
Added chainsaws and drills
Added corn
Added soda
----------------Military----------
Added weapons. To many to list.
   Assault rifles. Ak74, M16
   Sniper rifles- Dragnovs and SG 550s
   Heavy weapons- Armbrusts and anti-personel mines
   Cinematic weapons- Large revolvers and miniguns. Only available from rare special moods.
   Shotguns- Benelli, Saiga, and Striker
   Thief weapons- Combat knife and Makarovs
   Pistols- Beretta
   Sub machine guns- Uzi
   And more!
Added tank depot
   Can use tank
   Can use jeep
   Can use CIWS
   Can use machinegun
   Can use helicopter
   Can use F-16
Added prisoner workshop. See misc for more.
Added explosive weapons and traps
Added new enemies.
   Helicopters
   Missiles
   Bombers
   The vehicles you can use
Weapons will now all be made of steel (or wood, or candy.)
Armor will be made of Kevlar (Or candy)
New armor
   Dragon skin

--------------------MISC----------------
Two new civs
   Tyrannians. The holy democratic people's republic of Tyrannia, which is a communistic state not located in Tyrannia. They are powerful, with tanks and other vehicles in casts, but are not always hostile.
   Blacklisted. They are always hostile and come in great numbers with some powerful castes who have some interesting moves, who are made to fight with.
Alley races. Basically they are animals you can turn into dwarves. Can be made in the prisoner workshop for now
  Nekomata, which can be made from cats, if you kill an enemy that drops an item for it
  PMC, which are private military contractors, who can be bought from the humans
  Hyper-intellegent dogs who are a cast of normal dogs. Can be trained to act like a dwarf.
  Converts, who are captured goblins. A lot more dangerous to make.
Two new secrets
   Cultists, who can turn into Avatars of Cathlulu. Careful, since they can get lucky and turn into a powerful monster that needs an army to take down
   Alchemists, who can shoot fire and do other moves. Not fully implemented.
Two new megabeasts
   Angel. A powerful humanoid with regenerative abilities, she will take a lot of bullets to get down, and more to stay down. You can keep one as a pet if you manage to cage one somehow.
   Juggernaut- A giant tank. Not much more to say about it.
   Metals moved. You should now be able to find lead, steel, and petroleum in any location.
And more!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:39:04 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Doren

• Bay Watcher
  • On closer inspection, that dog is a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:21 am »

Why do all "modern mods" always mean only "firearms mod"? There is a lot of firearms mods already, just search the forum and download some.
If you want to make a modern mod, try to implement flow production, advanced metallurgy, tool machines and chemical industry. You could try to imitate service industry, banking sector or something like that.
There are lots and lots of things aside from firearms, that would make your mod "modern". Why don't you try to implement these features instead?

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:44:19 am »

Why do all "modern mods" always mean only "firearms mod"? There is a lot of firearms mods already, just search the forum and download some.
If you want to make a modern mod, try to implement flow production, advanced metallurgy, tool machines and chemical industry. You could try to imitate service industry, banking sector or something like that.
There are lots and lots of things aside from firearms, that would make your mod "modern". Why don't you try to implement these features instead?

heh, let him make his mod bro.
Firearms are just on the top of his list, he even said:
Quote from: Stirk
After all, if it is "modern" then it needs more then just guns.

I recommend you either learn to interpret text or learn to chill out.
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:18 am »

Probably because this is dwarf fortress and weapons always come first? I really can't imagine walking from your computer laboratory to go and spear a goblin to death. Like I said, fire arms are simply coming first, then armor, then all that fun civilian stuff you want (Though fixing the dwarven economy is probably more then I can do -_-)

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »

There's been a bunch of firearm mods, but has there ever been one that functions similar to modern-day guns? I'm not sure there's a way to implement clips, magazines, semi-auto, or anything other than single-shot guns in the game. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:07:49 pm by tyrannus007 »
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:13:46 pm »

There's been a bunch of firearm mods, but has there ever been one that functions similar to modern-day guns? I'm not sure there's a way to implement clips, magazines, semi-auto, or anything other than single-shot guns in the game. Am I wrong?

Not really, you just have to your your imagination with some of the more technical details, to be quite honest. And if you can, it is far past my skill.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:00 pm »

For armor: Kevlar clothes, and flak jackets. If you can figure out how, make them good against fast, piercing attacks like bullets.

For civilian stuff: It's a bit tougher here because of how much is hardcoded, but computers are a good idea. As are various other sciency things.
Make aluminum worth less and extractable from common rock, or at least bauxite.
Make steel easier to make. Somehow.
Electricity, somehow or another.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »

An Arc Furnace can make certain metal productions easier to get done, but needing a resource that can take place of electricity. If there were ways to make custom buildings that require gear assemblies to connect them to power grids, this mod can really flourish. I mean, you'd have to generate some serious power if you want to make the most out of some workshops/furnaces.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »

For armor: Kevlar clothes, and flak jackets. If you can figure out how, make them good against fast, piercing attacks like bullets.

I got Kevlar as an armor materiel, the flak is interesting though. At the moment, it doesn't so much "Block" bullets as it does "Helps keep you alive", ironically it works the opposite way, blocking off physical attacks with ease but not blocking the amazing power of bullets.

For civilian stuff: It's a bit tougher here because of how much is hardcoded, but computers are a good idea. As are various other sciency things.

I had planned on doing a computer workshop earlier, but then remembered I don't know how to mod furniture. I still think it would be cool, if anyone knows how...

Make aluminum worth less and extractable from common rock, or at least bauxite.

Great idea. I was thinking that myself when designing the gun maker, since M16s have aluminum and it is such a common thing. It would require energy, though...

Make steel easier to make. Somehow.
Electricity, somehow or another.

I had the steel on my goals.
Electricity is a great idea, wish I thought of it. Though considering it took me several ours to carve out a building for me to use, this is probably beyond my skill...

An Arc Furnace can make certain metal productions easier to get done, but needing a resource that can take place of electricity. If there were ways to make custom buildings that require gear assemblies to connect them to power grids, this mod can really flourish. I mean, you'd have to generate some serious power if you want to make the most out of some workshops/furnaces.

The Arc Furnace info saved me a good amount of research, thanks for that.

Electricity is a great idea, I am going to go put it on the goals sheet. Now I just have to figure out how to do this...

I guess I could make a "generator" building, basically a workshop that produces "electricity" units that can be used to help with all the fun stuff electricity gives us, like a nuclear generator that you put in a uranium bar and get out X Watts of energy in the form of a bar, or more commonly and easily, a coal/coke/Crude Oil furnace that does the same.  Anyone else have any ideas? I'm pretty sure I could try something like that (If I ever find out how to make a new building...)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

I think you can add reactions to millstones, so a couple kinds of power are easy.

Solar power plants would be hardest, but geothermal could be a magma-requiring workshop and water or wind would be simulated by a custom reaction in the millstone. Both of these would involve turning batteries into charged batteries, so making batteries would be vital.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:24 pm »

I think you can add reactions to millstones, so a couple kinds of power are easy.

Solar power plants would be hardest, but geothermal could be a magma-requiring workshop and water or wind would be simulated by a custom reaction in the millstone. Both of these would involve turning batteries into charged batteries, so making batteries would be vital.

Its my first day modding today. I still have not found out how to build a workshop. This is probably a bit beyond my skill  :o.

Yeah, some kind of accumulator is what I was thinking. I already have Crude oil for the Kevlar, it could be processed into petroleum at a different workshop. I can't think of anything on modern day that could work like that (Unless we do get that grid network out, that would work more realistically) so we would either have to hit up the "Magic" part of dwarf fortress and make something like a magic battery, or we would have to go a bit into sci-fi and make something like a hydrogen storage thing.

Thinking back to computers, I can't make it a furniture but I can make it a one tile workshop. The only question is what this workshop should do...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:04:17 am by Stirk »

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 04:44:30 am »

Everything runs on capacitors. <_<
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »

Everything runs on capacitors. <_<

I guess I will call them capacitors then. Almost have the electricity up, the first thing I plan to power them with is a one-tile workshop called a "computer" that uses one 25% of the time and gets up some skill when used. But first, I am giving the goblins a Siaga so they have more then one weapon.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 12:28:42 pm »

Pole up! I want to know weather to focus on the military or on civilian stuff, so tell me what you think

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »

2:2, (Removing my vote, since I just did that to see the results). Somehow I thought this would end up more helpful.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15