Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drinking alcohol for kitchen  (Read 900 times)

sarCastro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Drinking alcohol for kitchen
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

I have this problem where my dwarves keep drinking the alcohol that the cook is trying to use to make meals.  Does anyone have a solution to this?  I tried making the kitchen kinda out of the way, the dwarves seem fine with traveling a good distance for that sweet, sweet alcohol.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking alcohol for kitchen
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

Make a surplus of alcohol.  You do want them drinking booze, otherwise they'll be far, far less productive.  But I suppose you could try putting the still and kitchen behind the same door and locking it until the booze is tasked by the kitchen and not tasked by drinking dwarves.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:36:45 am »

Half the fun of lurking the DF board is to encounter people having issues which are the reverse of your own personal experience.

Man, I can't get my cooks to use the alcohol surplus for cooking short of locking them up with it and even then I can get cancellations. Seems either last or extremely low on their favorite ingredient list.

In any case, a decent surplus should solve your issue. If the cook is competing with general consumption booze you're treading a dangerous line.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:15:43 am »

Make a large booze stockpile near your main dining hall. Make a small booze stockpile near your kitchen.

On the (q) menu you can set the small stockpile to (t)ake from the larger one (giver gives until taker is full). Then make the small stockpile (g)ive to the kitchen. Dwarves should drink the booze that's near the dining room and your cooks won't have an issue getting alcohol to cook.

Note however that once you set a stockpile to give to a workshop, that workshop will only work from materials given by stockpiles. Since it's impossible to cook only with liquids, you'll also need to set a unprepared food stockpile and link it to the kitchen (same process can be used as was used for booze stockpile).

Also, cooking alcohol is not the best option, in my opinion. Unless you have a lot more drink than you do food, prioritize on cooking everything except for alcohol.

If you want a high-quality cooking ingredient you can farm for, cave wheat can be (p)rocessed at a quern, turning it into flour, which just makes meals incredibly valuable.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:16:48 am »

And then you notice this is a 2007 post...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

10 year necro? Impressive...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 04:20:11 am »

No, it's not impressive. A spambot dug it up and posted an ad post (fortunately removed now).

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:42 pm »

So having the forums invaded by a spambot is like having the fortress invaded by a necromancer? 

Should not have left that corpse/thread lying around outside like that...