Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: siege tower  (Read 3578 times)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
siege tower
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

if i make a tall tower, and put a catupult on top, will the catupult shoot at things below it? if so will the ammo be destroyed?
also, how effective would this be overlooking the entrence to my fortress, constantly firing?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: siege tower
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

No, it won't hit anything below it, but catapult stone ammo won't get destroyed.
As for effectiveness, very. But it would kill both friend and foe.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:14:45 am »

"Flak tower."

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »

I remember some guy built a tower filled with balista for the purpose of shooting down crows.

Seige wepons catapault and balistae shoot only on a straight line the same z level as the seige engine.

You could fling a rock against a wall and that might make the rock fall straight down from that wall,
but thats just a thought I have used maby 3 seige engines ever that never killed anything.

Just theory.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »

I remember some guy built a tower filled with balista for the purpose of shooting down crows.
Just theory.
Do it with catapults - you can stack those behind one another, plus a quantum stockpile + legendary siege operator = rapid fire flak tower.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »

Had my training catapults shooting at a wall that dropped the stones down on my siege entrance.  Was actually fairly effective at smashing in goblin heads. 

Also, the quantum stockpile+legendary operator is made of win.  I've had 5 stones in the air at once from a single catapult.  It's basically a dwarven gatling gun. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:43:49 pm »

if they only fly in a straight line then when are siege weapons ever useful for defense?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »

if they only fly in a straight line then when are siege weapons ever useful for defense?
Forever and always. You just have to know how to use them. It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »

Dfhack has a script that vastly improves seige engine targetting, so you might want to check that out if you want to play around with seige engines

tedward1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

Had my training catapults shooting at a wall that dropped the stones down on my siege entrance.  Was actually fairly effective at smashing in goblin heads. 

Also, the quantum stockpile+legendary operator is made of win.  I've had 5 stones in the air at once from a single catapult.  It's basically a dwarven gatling gun.
GENIUS!

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

i checked the wiki and ive decided to build a "pillbox" below my archer tower.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »

Dfhack has a script that vastly improves seige engine targetting, so you might want to check that out if you want to play around with seige engines
Can you give me more info about that.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:22:07 pm »

They can aim about 30° in each direction. In general, siege weapons are just fun things to use for a challenge and aren't as practical as assigning your operators to be marksdwarves or something. But they can be really fun.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:16:45 pm »

They can aim about 30° in each direction. In general, siege weapons are just fun things to use for a challenge and aren't as practical as assigning your operators to be marksdwarves or something. But they can be really fun.

Pretty much that. They require a lot of Dwarf planning for an output that is less then efficient but highly entertaining.