Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing small things in the source code  (Read 1027 times)

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing small things in the source code
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »

How can I change the following things:
1. Change the date the game starts
2. Make it harder to change public opinion overall, and harder for the LCS to gain public respect. The opinion polls say that 100% of people respect the power of the Liberal Crime Squad, even though all I've done so far is spray some graffiti, steal some cellphones, and sold some brownies.
3. Reduce the frequency of unconditional love slaves. I have a low seduction and have only ever chosen "Try to get through the night without spending anything," yet I've got three love slaves. Since it ignores the recruitment cap, it seems kind of overpowered.
4. Increase the recruitment cap. Maybe by re-adding leadership to the game?
These don't seem to be in the art folder, so I assume I'd have to change some stuff in the source code.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing small things in the source code
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »

How long have you been playing?  2/3 might not need fixing, per se.

In particular:
2) That might be a polling error, fickle population, or an absence of high regard--to be clear, you may be "respected" in the same way an organized-crime group is: nobody says anything bad about them, but nobody is really comfortable around them either.  Graffiti may have some impact but without suppressing the media it won't last.
3) First, there's a non-explicit cap on number of romance interests per person: so far as I know, a given seducer can only support as many romance-interests as xyr Seduction/2, round down, +1.  If you want to seduce a lot of people you'll need really good lovers, and preferably lots of them, to start with.
More to the point: you may have three lovers, but who are they?  The comparative difficulty & risk* of seducing someone depends on the particulars of that someone.  You'll have a lot more trouble bringing in a Radio Personality or News Anchor than a Police Officer, who in turn is more difficult than a Lab Tech or Security Guard.  If you're seducing Liberals, that's your problem right there; they're a lot easier to seduce so far as I know.  But if you have two cops & a Hangin' Judge, that's a different story.

*Hogh-powered Conservatives can increase the seducer's Wisdom, and anyone with connection to the government (Agents, Police, Soldiers, Judges, etc) can be informing the police and set up an ambush-arrest.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:18 am »

I've been playing a while, but I haven't really gotten that deep into it. Thanks for the answer, by the way.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »

Fair enough; I'm one of those people who goes looking for information.  Haven't had luck with source-code stuff though; the art file is about as exotic as I get.

Regarding 4, that can be worked around by simply juicing more people (Recruitment hard-caps at Liberal Guardian, 6 members; the 500 Juice for Elite Liberal may boost Charisma and allow for a larger Seduction skill) and having them recruit/seduce.  I've over 100 people in my current game (roughly 60/40 active/sleeper split) and my biggest problem is finding places for everyone to rest w/o compromising Secrecy.  I may have to rent another apartment.
(Only 15 of those directly report to the Founder.  12 from Persuade--the Founder gets +6 recruit cap from the start--and 3 Romance Interests.)

As for 1, that's been discussed in other threads.  I wouldn't know where to change it but the game kinda presumes 2009 based on the character-creation series.  (You'd really have to change several other threads in order to make a starting-date change not break immersion.)

Continue Liberally!