Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MP5s: am I missing something?  (Read 1367 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MP5s: am I missing something?
« on: October 20, 2012, 12:32:12 pm »

I'm not sure why I should issue MP5s.

IME they're harder to come by than M16s & M4s, which can be found lying around* at the MilBase.
They do less damage and carry less ammo, and they get banned at C Gun Control so using them can rack up even more charges.  The M4 has a similar accuracy bonus and ammo can be bought at C because it's shared with the AR-15.

About the only time I could justify using MP5s would be sending untrained troops to take over a media station or some other alarm-causing activity, and even then Shotguns (also fairly effective in untrained hands, according to the wiki) would get an extra shot per ammo pack and stay legal through L+ Gun Control.  They'd conceal under Trenchcoats too, IIRC, so I'm at a loss for why I'd use an SMG.  Does 9mm penetrate bunker/police armor more effectively?

I think I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.  Any advice or corrections?

*Soldier: "Where is my rifle? There are many like it, but mine is missing."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: MP5s: am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

Security Guards at certain legal levels are armed with MP5s, so at that point, you'll have more of them then anything else. 

In contrast, you almost always have to buy shotguns (exceptions are occasionally at apartments, off the bodies of some CCS members and gang members, and recruiting gang members with them already equipped...so a lot less common that off every dead security guard).

Plus, rifle training is quite rare, and you can't train any of the firearm skills at the university.  So the "sending untrained liberals" scenario occurs far more often than not, especially early on.

Neon Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:14:09 pm »

MP5s have a very limited set of uses. You can buy them from gangsters, unlike the M4, and they have a significant chance of penetrating most armor, whereas the shotgun has very little chance. However, their only lasting advantage over rifles is that you can hide one under a trenchcoat, like the shotgun.

LCS's combat is very simplistic, so it's to be expected that many weapons are simply inferior to alternatives.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:13:03 am »

the MP5s realy needs a tune up,
raise the ammo to 30 rounds,make it cheaper to buy as it shares store space with the m16.
 maybe make it fire more rounds?

the real problem is that is has no slot to fill, being to rare and big for every day issuse, but to weak for real fighting.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 11:36:39 am »

OK, thanks for the advice.

I actively seek out, screen, and recruit Army Veterans, so Rifle/Pistol tends to get trained to 3 or so, which isn't bad for M4s.  (I wasn't clear: "untrained" takeover attempts would also include insufficient Disguise/Stealth training.)  Good to know that the MP5 has some penetration, though--my founder ground Shotgun-19 and still had difficulty against Soldiers.

Agreed on the 30-rd mag issue; recall that I don't buy rifles because they're fairly scroungable at the MilBase.

In any event, Fox's note about weapon legality clears that up a bit--Id read something about "firing an illegal weapon" in an old post and presumed that was still a factor.  (There was a "convicted felons can't buy guns @pawnshop" flag, too, apparently--is that still around?)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »

They also get an accuracy boost.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:03:43 am »

In any event, Fox's note about weapon legality clears that up a bit--Id read something about "firing an illegal weapon" in an old post and presumed that was still a factor.  (There was a "convicted felons can't buy guns @pawnshop" flag, too, apparently--is that still around?)

"Firing an illegal weapon" was cut from the game on grounds of it not actually adding interesting gameplay, just cluttering things up. I don't think convicted felons have ever been prevented from buying guns at the pawnshop; that might have been a suggestion rather than something actually implemented.

Alpheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »

I find the MP5 the best starter gun for murder juice farming with low juice liberals.  Once they get a few levels I trade up for rifles.  Shotguns are fun but pretty ineffective against anything better than body armor.  Its kind of silly they use 15 round magazines though since 30 is the most common for most submachine guns.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:48:49 pm by Alpheus »