Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus: Phalanx  (Read 6369 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Shadow of the Colossus: Phalanx
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »

So, due to my unconditional love of Shadow of the Colossus, I've decided to mod in the largest of the colossi: Phalanx. Here is what I have so far:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:COLOSSI_PHALANX]
[DESCRIPTION:An absolutely colossal creature. It is shaped like a massive worm with flippers and it flies using gas bags on the bottom of it's body. Despite it's massive size, it is completely docile and will not attack unless provoked.]
[NAME:phalanx:phalanxes:phalanx]
[CASTE_NAME:phalanx:phalanxes:phalanx]
[CREATURE_TILE:'P'][COLOR:6:0:1]
[PETVALUE:5000]
[FREQUENCY:1]
[NATURAL]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[BIOME:DESERT_SAND]
It's not much, but it's a beginning. One of the problems that I think I might have is how to make it almost completely docile. Any suggestions?

Also, according to my inaccurate calculations, Phalanx's volume would be about 3256437358 cm. cubed. How would this translate to whatever measurements the raws use?

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Colossus: Phalanx
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »

Not sure if this is the one you're after, but the [BENIGN] creature token will make it only attack once your dwarf is in very close proximity, like most wild creatures.

Additionally, I haven't used it myself, but you might want to use the [VIEWRANGE:x] tag, where x is a distance in tiles. As I understand it, this will define how close "very close" is. I think the default is 20 tiles, you might wish to drop it down to like 1 tile. VIEWRANGE isn't used much, I'm not even sure if it works, but it's something to consider.

For size: the BODY_SIZE tag is actually a measurement in cubic cm. For fleshy, predominantly watery creatures (such as humans), one gram of mass approximates to one cubic cm. You've already done the measurements (or estimates), so you can just shove that exact number into the relevant tag. No conversion required.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:07:41 pm by SpecialCookies »
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »

Thanks.

Also, what should it bleed? In the original game, all colossi bleed this black stuff and when they die, they emit evil tentacle things to...do something, I guess. I won't spoil the end of the game, but I'm pretty sure the evil tentacle things corrupt you or something.

Also also, more raws!
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:COLOSSI_PHALANX]
[DESCRIPTION:An absolutely colossal creature. It is shaped like a massive worm with flippers and it flies using gas bags on the bottom of it's body. Despite it's massive size, it is completely docile and will not attack unless provoked.]
[NAME:phalanx:phalanxes:phalanx]
[CASTE_NAME:phalanx:phalanxes:phalanx]
[CREATURE_TILE:'P'][COLOR:6:0:1]
[PETVALUE:5000]
[FREQUENCY:1]
[NATURAL]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[BIOME:DESERT_SAND]
[BENIGN]
[FANCIFUL]
[FIREIMMUNE]
[MEGABEAST]
[NOBREATHE]
[NO_EAT]
[NO_DRINK]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[PREFSTRING:colossal size]
[PREFSTRING:gentle nature]
[VIEWRANGE:1]
[WEBIMMUNE]
[FLIER]
I think I'll make the head or skull or whatever out of granite. By the way, here are some reference pictures if you don't know anything about SotC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:23 pm »

hmm you could make the blood give a syndrome of some kind also you should make the other to

Edit: Also I think you can make the blood black

2nd: nvm
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:36:23 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:35:17 am »

I loved battling this thing in SotC. I hope it's as fun to battle in this as it is in the original game.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:43:53 am »

I loved battling this thing in SotC. I hope it's as fun to battle in this as it is in the original game.

Only once Toady implements multi-tile creatures and climbing.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:45:18 am »

Blue bluh double post.

Stupid IPhone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:47:18 am by ShoesandHats »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:45:59 am »

SoTC music anyone?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 02:37:44 am »

Are you going to make all of the Colossi?  That would be an awesome mod!

Unfortunately, the maximum size allowed by DF's programming seems to be 200000000.  Going over this limit may cause unwanted behavior.
You're going to have to scale the bigger ones down, I'm afraid.

(There may be a way of getting around this limit using an interaction with a body size modifier syndrome.  I'll check if it works.)

The good news: If you make the balloons a custom body part with the FLIER tag, it will fall when they are damaged.  You can also make weak points with MAJOR_ARTERIES.

If you want to suggest that killing Colossi has a negative impact on your soul, there may be a way of doing this by giving their blood a syndrome effect.  Might want to hold off on that unless you plan on making more Colossi.  It would probably be very complicated to make it come out right.

You might also want to give Phalanx FLEEQUICK to increase its benign-ness.  I think megabeasts might be pre-programmed to attack towns in worldgen though.  I guess you could say that it's just passing through and happens to destroy stuff by accident :)

EDIT: Turns out that using interactions doesn't help get around the size issue.  Also, the upper limit isn't 200000000.  I'm not sure what it is, but it's much smaller... I have a creature that works at 33500000, but going much bigger than that starts to introduce weird physics, mostly it seems to loop around and go back to zero, but sometimes you get weird bugs like creatures that can't deal damage and all attacks against them pass right through.
Anyhow, Colossus-sized creatures will break DF's system, sorry.  Gonna have to scale down, I'm afraid.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

SoTC music anyone?
Intro
Battle Music 1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 3C 4 5

And an interesting and relevant video I came across. Such a majestic beast. I felt bad killing it; I wanted it as a pet.