Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!  (Read 19546 times)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:32 am »

I'll post this now and risk the chance of looking foolish, as I haven't seen all your videos, just the beginnings of all the forts;  Doors keep out undead if they're locked, or, at least, keep out non building destroyer undead.  I'm only familiar with the undead-keeping-out qualities of doors with concerns to necromancer raised humanoid undead, so I might be wrong, but if a door could keep out the various wildlife in your biomes it would allow you to let migrants in and undead out.

As long as you make sure to lock/unlock it accordingly, of course.  Just my 2 cents; and I wouldn't mind being dorfed.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2012, 02:54:27 pm »

Embarked on terrifying glacier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our team of seven decided that we put prefer quality than quantity and we just brought one pick. One goot steel pick.

Eventually we arrived.

Commonswords now rules in Nogleshraktus, the Savage Tomb! Well, let's look around...

Well ice everywhere... and, what is there in the south-west?

Yeti corpse.. hope it isn't hungry, or we're roasted.

Strike the earth! (fast, fast)

We're finally walled off:

updade:
had to dig 35 levels, but here we go - caverns finally. Let's move there, folks!

upadte: no more updates. I was unable to milk those goddamit cows correctly. When I finally figured that I need a bucket instead of barrels, all my dorfs died at once from thirst. Well, this is first time when I milk a creature, I usually butcher all my animals instantly
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:54:37 pm by omg_scout »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:10 pm »

I'll post this now and risk the chance of looking foolish, as I haven't seen all your videos, just the beginnings of all the forts;  Doors keep out undead if they're locked, or, at least, keep out non building destroyer undead.  I'm only familiar with the undead-keeping-out qualities of doors with concerns to necromancer raised humanoid undead, so I might be wrong, but if a door could keep out the various wildlife in your biomes it would allow you to let migrants in and undead out.

As long as you make sure to lock/unlock it accordingly, of course.  Just my 2 cents; and I wouldn't mind being dorfed.

Indeed, doors do work to keep out the undead it seems. You still have the thieves sneaking in through them and leaving them unlocked for the undead. Though I suppose placing the door in the hall a distance and putting a spotting room over the hall leading to it could solve that. And a line of cage traps to catch the yetis which have building destroyer 2. Though the ravens being so common seem to make yeti sightings quite the rarity in tundras, glaciers though are another story. Most everything else shouldn't bother you.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

I was unable to milk those goddamit cows correctly. When I finally figured that I need a bucket instead of barrels, all my dorfs died at once from thirst. Well, this is first time when I milk a creature, I usually butcher all my animals instantly

Dwarves wont drink milk, they "eat it".
It basically counts as food, not drink.

Milk is a product extracted from milkable creatures. Milk can be made into cheese, used in cooking prepared meals or consumed as is (counts as food, not drink).

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:53 pm »

Alarmingly, a merchant's Yak Bull turned Thrall as well and though it had appeared clean when I first looked at it (inventory showed nothing), its hooves are now listed as having a dusting of "Blighted Soot" on them just like the lamb did.
Could this be impacted by the WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF and WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_ADV settings in d_init.txt? Does anyone that could have been in the area have any blighted soot on their boots?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:59 pm »

Alarmingly, a merchant's Yak Bull turned Thrall as well and though it had appeared clean when I first looked at it (inventory showed nothing), its hooves are now listed as having a dusting of "Blighted Soot" on them just like the lamb did.
Could this be impacted by the WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF and WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_ADV settings in d_init.txt? Does anyone that could have been in the area have any blighted soot on their boots?
I had it set so that walking did NOT spread spatter in Fortress Mode, and an earlier save, when I used DFhack to 'Clean map' it removed zero contaminants.  Examination of inventories revealed no soot contaminants on my dwarves even during the disaster.  It's currently a mystery to me how the soot contamination got into my fort, but it thoroughly ended it in 7 days, with 12 deaths and 12 thralls.  A caravan Yak appeared perfectly clean until it turned thrall suddenly (with soot on its hooves) leading me to suspect that there was a spot of invisible contaminant somewhere that both the lamb and the yak walked in.

The only soot-related breach I ever had was a thrall owl-corpse that flew in through my open roof early on, but was quickly dispatched (and butchered).  The spot where it was killed seemed free of contaminants by my inspection, and the "clean" cheat in DFhack found no contaminated tiles to clean.  It's foot however did end up sailing in an arc up outside, and contained a dusting of soot, but I don't think anybody walked through that tile, and even if they did, a contaminated item doesn't won't contaminate the ground without liquids being involved.  I'll replay through the lost season to see if such a catastrophe happens again, but m last save was prior to the migrant wave so events are bound to go a little different.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »

Aye! I saw your video's, appreciate if you dwarfed me, Milita is my preference, but anything is fine!

burchalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2012, 06:06:42 am »

I was inspired by this topic to try this myself.
Same worldgen settings (short history, all other on medium). Terrifying tundra with an aquifer.
1-st attempt - failed via a cave-in on my miner, so lost the only pick.
2-nd attempt - failed, since tried to channel aquifer tiles that were exposed to freezing outside. Miner went missing in a wall of Ice.
3-rd attempt - successfully sealed the aquifer via cave-in - killed the miner when cleaning out the frozen displaced water.
4-th attempt - finally I made it to caverns. No creatures there, hurray. This is it at the moment.

PS: this is my first attempt with the Genesis 5.11 mode.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]