Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!  (Read 19541 times)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »

Nice work so far, nice to see you made it in with the caverns not being too nasty (yet!)

Pond grabbers are one of the best things to find in that sort of embark. they just chill in the water and stay there for like years before leaving the map, so you'll be safe for a long while.

Will be interesting after first migrant wave.

Keep up the vid's!
Thats kinda dissapointing. You would think ,by their name, that they grab dwarves out of the water and drown them.

they do if dwarves are stupid enough to come close. But seeing they don't leave the water they arn't much of a threat. So you can happily drink water in a non infested pond dweller area.
If you had say 6 trogoldytes down there, thinks could get nasty very quickly.

EPIC FORESHADOWING! D:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:01:35 pm by Andrakon »
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Laml;

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 05:07:33 pm »

This certainly sounds interesting. I'm eager to see how this will progress once the fun come into play. Starting with pretty much nothing and settling in the cavern seems like a really fun and !!FUN!! idea, though so far not very different to an outside fort.
If you can turn the cavern into a gigantic, waterfall-filled open area around which the fortress will work, it would be awesome. Just throwing that out there.

You did a really good job with the editing of the video. It was a pleasure to watch despite the fact that not anything exciting happened and that I'm not a fan of your commentary style.

I wouldn't mind being your lead-marksdwarf or speardwarf once you start setting up a millitary. Leaders always die horrible, not-necessarly-glorious-but-entertaining deaths.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

This certainly sounds interesting. I'm eager to see how this will progress once the fun come into play. Starting with pretty much nothing and settling in the cavern seems like a really fun and !!FUN!! idea, though so far not very different to an outside fort.
If you can turn the cavern into a gigantic, waterfall-filled open area around which the fortress will work, it would be awesome. Just throwing that out there.

You did a really good job with the editing of the video. It was a pleasure to watch despite the fact that not anything exciting happened and that I'm not a fan of your commentary style.

I wouldn't mind being your lead-marksdwarf or speardwarf once you start setting up a millitary. Leaders always die horrible, not-necessarly-glorious-but-entertaining deaths.

I'm glad you like! I have a good bit of experience from 84 Minecraft videos, and with fraps I edit on the go by stopping the video when boring stuff starts. Also that's a good idea for a cave area! :D I may give it a try sometime. As for the !!FUN!! go watch the second vid! D:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:21:00 pm by Andrakon »
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Laml;

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

Well... that was quick. Haha. Didn't think it would get this fun this fast. The ending was ridiculously abrupt. I love it.

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »

I know this is in hindsight, but the situation could have probably been avoided if you built a moat around your base. Just a tip for your/anyone else's next attempt.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »

Haha, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't move the slate because it was tasked to build one of the outer walls that you suspended when the troll and troglodytes first showed up.  You should always cancel, not suspend!  Suspending gets you building materials stuck in inopportune places.   :P

You mentioned a third video, so are you reclaiming/starting an new fort?  Still requesting a dorf is you are. :)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:54 pm »

Haha, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't move the slate because it was tasked to build one of the outer walls that you suspended when the troll and troglodytes first showed up.  You should always cancel, not suspend!  Suspending gets you building materials stuck in inopportune places.   :P

You mentioned a third video, so are you reclaiming/starting an new fort?  Still requesting a dorf is you are. :)

Yea im going to keep doing these until either I get sick of them or I succeed massively.
Prepare for disasters... XD

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

I know this is in hindsight, but the situation could have probably been avoided if you built a moat around your base. Just a tip for your/anyone else's next attempt.

Possably, I think I may have goten too greedy on the land grab. Also I was thinking ahead. I wanted to keep out any future flying forgotten beasts. But a moat is a good idea is some situations I may encounter. :D

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 08:47:36 pm »

I enjoyed watching these. I might have to try that one day. Can I be dorfed in the next fort? I'm sure my mutilated zombie corpse won't cause too much havoc...
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »

Possably, I think I may have goten too greedy on the land grab. Also I was thinking ahead. I wanted to keep out any future flying forgotten beasts. But a moat is a good idea is some situations I may encounter. :D

Yeah, survival in DF is all about the creation of "secure" areas.  Farmland and lumber are the only things you need to expose yourself to the cavern for, and you don't need much farmland at all to keep your dwarves fed.

I also have a question: Why didn't you butcher your animals for food, leather and bones?  I suppose you were a bit short on space and overall work capacity, but the bones and leather are valuable resources for armor and ranged weapons.  Did you consider these to be "Not a Pickaxe" and decline to use them, or did I derp and skip past an explanation about this?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »

Awesome! I'll be watching this series for sure!
Name one "JeffTheRambler" for me!
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 11:00:23 pm »

I also have a question: Why didn't you butcher your animals for food, leather and bones?  I suppose you were a bit short on space and overall work capacity, but the bones and leather are valuable resources for armor and ranged weapons.  Did you consider these to be "Not a Pickaxe" and decline to use them, or did I derp and skip past an explanation about this?

Well, he did say in the video that the last embark he was murdered by the butchered animals' skins, heh.  Althougth that's easily solved by quickly tanning the skin, and spinning any hair into thread before it reanimates.

Of course, for survival, it would be a question of can no-talent tanners and spinners tan the skin and spin the hair into thread before they reanimate on a Terrifying biome.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 12:53:05 am »

The last couple embarks in terrifying areas I had, any butchered animal skins would reanimated near instantly. Dunno if different terrifying biomes have the reanimation set to different times.

I would have tried to get the livestock down in the caverns to graze though, and maybe butcher once I got a military started. Or at the very least pasture them under a bridge and be done with them without them adding to the undead population. The goblins, migrants, and caravans do a fine enough job of increasing the undead hordes size already.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 03:51:43 am »

You are about to receive the best explanation possable! :D A video! This video was planned to be the first video but I scrapped it due to accidentally cutting off the end. However I thought I would keep it for if/when someone asked about this sorta thing. However at the time I didn't think about tanning the skin right away, I was just going to dump it somewhere and wall it off.

Dwarf fortress : Prequel, a False Start, Utter Disaster - http://youtu.be/lEObhYyBzos

PS. I am quite a fan of your work in Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft by the way. :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:53:47 am by Andrakon »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 06:23:39 am »

just watched video 2.
Quick question: why didn't you just wall of all the dwarves in the caverns? all the corpses were 'inside' as it were.
Also - please can you look up in legends who killed the troll? Just interested.
Keep up the good work.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8