Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!  (Read 19553 times)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 06:54:34 am »

just watched video 2.
Quick question: why didn't you just wall of all the dwarves in the caverns? all the corpses were 'inside' as it were.
Also - please can you look up in legends who killed the troll? Just interested.
Keep up the good work.

To answer your first question, I have no idea :P

For the second question:
Didn't have to, it was in the video at 9:40

Asmel's corpse also punched you in the gut, you were the expedition leader.
Pretty lucky since he had just punched two things in the brain in rapid succession.
Shortly thereafter you threw a tantrum XD
And you were one of the very last survivers. Grats!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:56:54 am by Andrakon »
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 07:33:44 am »

Oops. Missed that.

A zombie killed the troll.
The zombie was probably caused by the troll.
Therefore, the troll indirectly killed itself.
I love evil biomes.

EDIT: Just tried the same thing, in an evil rainforest.
Stage 1: dig a tunnel - thwarted by aquifer.
Miraculously, all the dwarves got out ok - with the wood!
Stage 2: start digging another tunnel. Stupid Wren man Corpses.
Stage 3: watch as the surviving dwarves desperately try to run through the hoard of zombies, get the pick, and dig safe lodgings.
Stage 4: watch as the last surviving dwarf punches a zombie to death, and then gets overwealmed.
Stage 5: Your settlement has crumbled to its end.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:38:21 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:47 am »

Great videos, ptw.

Can I claim a dwarf in the next attempt or are they all taken? If they are, I'll take the first migrant child please :)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:24 am »

Oops. Missed that.

A zombie killed the troll.
The zombie was probably caused by the troll.
Therefore, the troll indirectly killed itself.
I love evil biomes.

EDIT: Just tried the same thing, in an evil rainforest.
Stage 1: dig a tunnel - thwarted by aquifer.
Miraculously, all the dwarves got out ok - with the wood!
Stage 2: start digging another tunnel. Stupid Wren man Corpses.
Stage 3: watch as the surviving dwarves desperately try to run through the hoard of zombies, get the pick, and dig safe lodgings.
Stage 4: watch as the last surviving dwarf punches a zombie to death, and then gets overwealmed.
Stage 5: Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

HAHAHA! I love to hear that you gave it a try! This sorta thing takes a lot of... Attempts lol!
Anyway if you or anyone else gives it a shot, I would love to hear about it here! Other peoples stories/pictures/videos are welcome!  :D

P.S. re-dwarfing is welcome by request.

Great videos, ptw.

Can I claim a dwarf in the next attempt or are they all taken? If they are, I'll take the first migrant child please :)

Absolutely! There will always be room, cuz' I plan to run this series for a wile.

Everyone who has asked for dwarfing has gotten it, and the video for it will be out late tomorrow or early the day after. Thatdude, you will be in the next one after that. I recorded it just before you asked. XD
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:26:08 am by Andrakon »
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »

I try out a new embark and see what happens... I run into trouble right away, and then more trouble... I had FUN! :D
And Ice is a bit buggy...  :(
Dwarf Fortress Single Pick Challange: Ice Ice Yeti! http://youtu.be/gGZZr9guPvM
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:05:49 pm by Andrakon »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »

I also have a question: Why didn't you butcher your animals for food, leather and bones?  I suppose you were a bit short on space and overall work capacity, but the bones and leather are valuable resources for armor and ranged weapons.  Did you consider these to be "Not a Pickaxe" and decline to use them, or did I derp and skip past an explanation about this?

You are about to receive the best explanation possable! :D A video! This video was planned to be the first video but I scrapped it due to accidentally cutting off the end. However I thought I would keep it for if/when someone asked about this sorta thing. However at the time I didn't think about tanning the skin right away, I was just going to dump it somewhere and wall it off.

Dwarf fortress : Prequel, a False Start, Utter Disaster - http://youtu.be/lEObhYyBzos

PS. I am quite a fan of your work in Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft by the way. :D
I guess if you're going to butcher animals in a resurrecting biome, you have to plan carefully to make sure the hides get tanned and hair spun into thread ASAP.  This means you'll need to be able to set up 3 workshops and make sure that the tanner and spinner are ready to do their jobs immediately.

...Or you could just leave the poor animals on the surface to die.  That's certainly simpler.

I'm glad for the minecraft recognition. :D  I really do need to start making videos again to show off my CPU in operation, and the RAM I made.  Anyways, If you could Dorf me as a someone with a mechanical profession, I'd be much obliged. :)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »

I believe you probably had a completely dry route through that aquifer. Those large bauxite clusters usually overlap each other in spots, and if you can locate the overlaps you can dig down through a stone aquifer easily. Puddingstone or just unlucky placement of each bauxite cluster could screw that up, but I have personally dodged aquifers before by digging through those large dry mineral clusters before. Just something to keep in mind for your next attempt. And dwarf me as whatever happens to be needed.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »

I think your cave-in didn't work because the lower edge of the block was diagonally connected to the top edge of that row of up-down stairs.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:11 pm »

Since you had determined that the aquifer was only 1 layer deep, you probably could have used some of your precious wood to make a pump to drain the dig site while you smoothed the walls.  Of course that would have required two workshops (mason's to make blocks, and carpenter's to make the pipe and screw) as well as committing your limited wood resources to a "one time" project rather than beds.

It would have meant that you could have avoided going outside though, so maybe it might have been worth it?  Oh well, its always easier to judge things in hindsight than in the moment.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 04:26:13 am »

I think I figured out why the ice was floating! The updownstairs on the bottom level was holding up the ice! D: I feel like a FOOL!! I missed it because it   showed up as a blank tile on the middle floor! Oh well :P I ended up with a better fort... eventually, so I am glad that one failed lol!

ThatDude, Hans Lemurson, Patchy, you will be dwarfed in the episode I record today. Try not to die! >:D BWAHAHAHAHAAA

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 04:36:27 am »

Re-dwarf me as well please. Will attempt shortly.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 04:43:16 am »

Please, dwarf me;)

nice videos!

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

A new embark, again lol. And I fight with the aquifer a bit. Something strange happens and I end up with mushrooms growing in my fort before I ever hit the first cavern...

Dwarf Fortress Single Pick Challenge: Mushroom Gamble http://youtu.be/q_gF7-jSrzc

Sgt_Joe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 11:39:38 am »

Nice videos! Can I be dwarfed please. Preferably a dwarf-at-arms(beards?) so I can admire my horribleand completly preventable (if I hadent been a dwarf that is) death.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »

Decided to do my own run on this with a terrifying tundra. And so far so good, only crumbled once because there was a pack of skelks(undead elks the good ole terrors of Nist Akath) in viewing distance when the embark landed. That one was basically a total wipe in about 2 minutes.

My 2nd and current attempt though is still alive and well. We even got the summer migrant wave in safe and sound except for a donkey foal, which is still running around outside. It helped that we had a giant eagle corpse instead of the skelks to start with. It flew around and pretty much ignored us. Never even got the wagon pullers, I actually got those inside and into cavern pastures for now when the summer wave came in. Yes, they actually survived the entire season on the surface, with the eagle. The caverns had wave after wave of crundles though, made getting food tricky without risking a confrontation. Also had a couple waves of blind cave ogres and a giant cave spider which I managed to trap. The caverns also have a magma pool which my big project now is tapping. So anyways, will probably keep chugging along on it till something heads south and with df that can happen at the drop of a hat... or sock.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8