Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4630 times)

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »

Is there a in-depth guide for this mod somewhere? The manual that comes with it just doesn't do all that great a job at explaining things, especially the PLETHORA of new armor and weapons. One of my dwarfs just created an artifact Falcon Knight Arms. What the heck is that? What ammunition does it use? The manual explains nothing! :c Not to mention the massive list of foreign armors. How the heck am I supposed to create a uniform if I have no idea what Rigid Shellplate falls under? Is that plate armor? Leather armor? Hardened leather auuuuuuugh.

So, yeah, any guides for this thing? =/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »

Ask in the Masterwork thread.

"Rigid shellplate" sure does sound like [SHAPED] plate armor to me.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:34 pm »

Searching for: falcon knight arms
objects\item_orcfort_weapon.txt(293): [NAME:falcon knight arms:falcon knights arms]
Found 1 occurrence(s) in 1 file(s)

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FALCON_ARMS]
# represents a bola and jagged spear kit, most orcs may still use shield
[NAME:falcon knight arms:falcon knights arms]
[SIZE:600]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
   [RANGED:THROW:WHIP]
   [SHOOT_FORCE:2400]
   [SHOOT_MAXVEL:1350]
[TWO_HANDED:60000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:bladed spear edge:2250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:30000:2000:rake:rakes:toothed spear edge:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:5000:stab:stabs:spear point:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:impale:impales:spear point:2000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:10:10000:entangle and lance:entangles and lances:bola and spear:4000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:strike:strikes:spear shaft:1000]

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:43 am »

Well, I mean, it'd still be nice to have a wiki or something. =c I see magma smelters and forges got removed in favor of other stuff...

Laggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:53 am »

Magma smelters and forges are still there.

They just aren't in the manual because they are basically exactly the same as the vanilla versions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:05 am »

Mostly because you can't even mod the forge.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:12 am »

I'm not seeing them in either the workshop list or the furnace list. I've hit magma aaaaand nothing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:38 am »

Well, that's user error, because those cannot be modded out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:17 am »

If you want a better manual, and think that the one I have is crap, write a better one. There was a wiki, but no one updated it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:33:55 am »

It's not crap. It's just not very extensive and is a bit vague in places. I like the complexity the mod adds with the harder smelting, crafting, creatures and whatnot, but some stuff just isn't explained too well. It'd be nice to have a list of all weapon types, what skill they use, and what ammo they use, or exactly what category of armor all the different types fall under, you know? And it's a little rude to tell me to write a better one when, obviously, I'm having difficulty understanding some aspects of the mod in the first place. =/

If there's no guide for the mod, just tell me "Yeah, sorry, there's no guide for it. You just have to figure most of it out yourself from the raws and manual".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:42:43 am by Stargazer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:09:53 am »

There are 1061 items in this mod.

If I write categories, skills, material types, values and so forth for all of them, thats about 6000 lines. If it takes me 1 minute to look one item up, write all the values out, and add it the the manual, thats 6000 minutes. Or 100h. Most people will not read this, because its too much information. I added all native items that your civ has access to. I worked 100h+ on the manuals alone.

Now, in 100h, you can easily learn to understand itemtokens and start helping, since you asked for a wiki. But you wont, because thats too much time for something that minor. I

The manual is very extensive. If there is a part you dont understand, use the wiki and the raws to look this specific item up yourself. Smakemupagus does it constantly for people asking about single items, it takes only a minute to open the files in a texteditor and ctrl+f for the item name you want infos about.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »

It's not crap. It's just not very extensive and is a bit vague in places. I like the complexity the mod adds with the harder smelting, crafting, creatures and whatnot, but some stuff just isn't explained too well. It'd be nice to have a list of all weapon types, what skill they use, and what ammo they use, or exactly what category of armor all the different types fall under, you know? And it's a little rude to tell me to write a better one when, obviously, I'm having difficulty understanding some aspects of the mod in the first place. =/

Let's make it easier for you, then.

Categories of armor? They pretty much don't matter. There's really no difference between a mail shirt and a breastplate except that a mail shirt protects more and you can wear more of them and the breastplate maybe protects against blunt damage better but we're not sure. Blunt weapons are probably always going to use hammer skill unless it's mace skill. Looking up a weapon on Wikipedia should tell you enough about the weapon for use in-game. Weapons probably won't use special ammo because there's a whole can of worms in that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:16:07 pm »

>> Weapons probably won't use special ammo because there's a whole can of worms in that.

Well, in general you're right, but his moody dwarf grabbed something from the Orc Fortress raws that does actually use bola :)