Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: why the Armok do goblins visit dwarven taverns?!  (Read 6482 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: why the Armok do goblins visit dwarven taverns?!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 01:46:05 pm »

Every time I get a goblin siege I fear one of the visitors will throw my lever and let their brothers in.

oOOOH, now that we have visitors, this could actually be a thing. Not that it'd be limited to goblins, mind you. Snatched dwarves could be infiltrators as well.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »

Goblin visitors are either:
1) Goblins from your own civ or a nearby friendly human or elf civ and therefore not hostile and didn't just siege you.
2) Performers. Travelling performers can apparently come from anywhere however Toady mentioned that they check if they'd be welcome first. So if you really are getting goblin dancers from the goblin civ that just sieged you, it's not working as planned (although legends mode seems to distinguish some attacks as being from the whole civ and others as being from groups within the civ).

The devlog mentions a goblin dancer being attacked by a visiting human as their two civs were at war which is pretty funny. Mind you, being at war and recognising an enemy doesn't seem to work properly in adventurer, so it's possible that there's a lot more that needs fixing.

-- I suppose beast hunters from actual goblin civs might turn up too. Haven't seen any of then though.

Oh I didn't know.
I checked the gamelog and found the goblins actually had dwarven names.

Onol Konosostuk, Goblin Hammerman is visiting.
Asob Admeng, Goblin Swordsman is visiting.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »

Well, it's not for the booze, because goblins don't eat or drink.

So... they must be there for the poetry.  Yes.  That's it.  Goblins are huge poetry fans.

I actually do see a lot of goblin poets.

This, the majority of bards that have visited my forts have been Goblins.  Occasionally get human dancers and thieves.  Don't think I've seen a Goblin thief yet, oddly enough

L0rd L33t

• Bay Watcher
  • My Life for Auir!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »

Albeit in adventure mode, i found a goblin crossbowman randomly and peacefully hanging out with a bunch of dwarf drunks in a dwarf building. I recruited the goblin because all of the dwarves in the area were useless as crap.
Tantrum Spirals in a Nutshell:
Dwarf 1 is throwing a tantrum!
Dwarf 2: A fight? Count me in!
Dwarf 2: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 3: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 4: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:08 pm »

Also, any non-dwarven being that earns a dwarf's respect must be exeteemly badass.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 01:44:57 pm »

Do accidents to visitors make the civilisation or other outside people angry, like accidents to merchants do? Because I would arrange an accident in that uncomfortable situation.

From what I've heard, no.  It just makes your tavern seem "unsafe" (heh).  So who wants to visit the tavern 20 people died in last year? Ofc, if you create enough wealth you can compensate for this.

Did you know clothing and instruments looted from dead spoony elven bards will fully count as domestic/created wealth if you add a single decoration to them? It'll change the display text from white (import) to brown (fortress created) and transfer the value of hte base item/existing decorations on top of the new one.

Just saying... Its not like I'm trying to IMPLY anything.  Its just that if an ACCIDENT were to happen, it'd be -such- a shame to let all that loot go to waste.  And with the new booming economy built off Elf tears, who wouldn't want to come visit!? >D

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »

PART ONE: STUPID GOBLINS, WEIRD GOBLINS

Goblins are immortal.

Goblins never eat or drink.

Goblins die in droves. Why? Because they either get murdered by fellow goblins, or they get the dwarves angry and die in battle.

Goblins can be conquered by humans.

Goblins retain their snatcher status as a human-conquered unit.

Goblins with a snatcher status will snatch babies and bring them home to the capital.

Any person from a civilization can join a different civilization, unless they are hostile to them.

Therefore, any civilization can have any sentient being. Except for nonconquering all-hostile non-snatching beings...

Like kobolds.

--------------

PART TWO: SPOONY GOBLIN BARDS

Goblins are immortal.

Goblins never eat or drink.

Goblins? In your dwarven civilization? It's more likely than you think.

Dwarves are VERY VERY GOOD AT BATTLE. This is partly due to their species, and partly due to their strategy, and partly due to their fortresses. A dwarven-born goblin can get almost all of these benefits.

Goblins in a dwarven civilization, therefore, can live for a very long time, even if they are a soldier.

And which 1000-yr-old goblin wouldn't dabble in poetry? Or singing? And with another millenium or two on their hands, a "bit of time" practicing can get them to Great or above.

And dwarves do appreciate a good bit of poetry.

Therefore, goblins make good poets. (Applause.)

((And yes, I do think that goblins are like goblins because of how they were raised. Dwarven-raised goblins can be just as good as any dwarf. Stop looking at me like that! Racists! RACISTS ALL OF YOU!!))
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:40 pm »

You kidding? I imagine dwarves poetry is just the sounds an alcoholic makes when he's almost passed out at a bar. Gobbos sound like that usually.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:53:31 pm »

It sounds like that, but more dwarvenly. It takes skill to sound that drunk, yet still not pass out.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:05 am »

Do accidents to visitors make the civilisation or other outside people angry, like accidents to merchants do? Because I would arrange an accident in that uncomfortable situation.

From what I've heard, no.  It just makes your tavern seem "unsafe" (heh).  So who wants to visit the tavern 20 people died in last year? Ofc, if you create enough wealth you can compensate for this.

Did you know clothing and instruments looted from dead spoony elven bards will fully count as domestic/created wealth if you add a single decoration to them? It'll change the display text from white (import) to brown (fortress created) and transfer the value of hte base item/existing decorations on top of the new one.

Just saying... Its not like I'm trying to IMPLY anything.  Its just that if an ACCIDENT were to happen, it'd be -such- a shame to let all that loot go to waste.  And with the new booming economy built off Elf tears, who wouldn't want to come visit!? >D

Heheh, I imagine I  could sell some refurbished elven stuff to elves... Or even give it for free, just to make them happy.

I didn't know there's safety ranking, though. I hope one day boats will be introduced, so I can become a robber baron, and my tavern will be as notorious as pirate taverns of Port Royal in old times :)
Pages: 1 [2]