Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding burrow  (Read 1337 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding burrow
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:49 am »

???

Quote from: the wiki
Burrows do not restrict a dwarf's movements; they only restrict the locations where dwarves may perform jobs (including picking up items, eating, sleeping, etc.). An idle dwarf can still go anywhere, regardless of burrows. (Note: a Civilian Alert overrides this behavior.)

Quote from: the wiki
Help! Goblins are chasing me in circles!
One problem with outdoor work is the lack of safe areas, the presence of ambushers, and civilian dwarves who will, by default, run in the dumbest direction possible. You can create small bolt-holes in the wilderness outside your fort and give them a floor hatch as a door. When ambushers appear, add your outdoor workers to the nearest bolt-hole burrow. After they run inside, lock the door. You don't even need to (and probably shouldn't) hook these bolt-holes up to your main fort; they are for short-term emergencies. You could stock them with a little food and booze, just in case.

So if burrows do not restrict a dwarf's movements, how do you expect them to run into burrows designed for them?
In my experience, if you add a dwarf to an empty burrow(means, no food, drink, or workshops), it is unlikely they will move into that burrow.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding burrow
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:41:56 am »

They would almost never go to that burrow, you're right.  If there is no job to do there, and no food or drink, then they would only ever go there to sleep.  - that is, unless it were set to a civilian alert, but then everybody would go there.  I'm not sure why that's in the wiki.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »

Yeah, that's the real important thing: civilian alert.

That's what forces the civilians into the burrow, not being assigned to it. You don't need to assign anyone to get them to take cover there during a civilian alert, you just need to have the burrow on the map and have your alert set properly.

Outside of a civilian alert, burrows are just for controlling workflow.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:48:30 pm »

Deleted that section from the wiki page.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »

If a bolthole as previously described on the wiki was part of the civilian alert burrow but disconnected from, say, the "Inside" burrow which encompasses most of the fortress, would the dwarf go to the bolthole instead of running all the way back to the other burrow?

Or, more generally, do dwarves select the closest matching burrow for a civilian alert?  I can't test just now, but if I get a chance before someone answers, I will.

I have a sneaking suspicion that's what the author had meant but didn't quite capture it correctly.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:03:59 pm »

some troll put it up on the wiki, dwarves assigned to a burrow will not leave the burrow for any reason, even if that means they have to stand in one spot and starve to death
one of my prefered ways of killing, its slow and horrible
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »

If a bolthole as previously described on the wiki was part of the civilian alert burrow but disconnected from, say, the "Inside" burrow which encompasses most of the fortress, would the dwarf go to the bolthole instead of running all the way back to the other burrow?

Or, more generally, do dwarves select the closest matching burrow for a civilian alert?  I can't test just now, but if I get a chance before someone answers, I will.

I have a sneaking suspicion that's what the author had meant but didn't quite capture it correctly.

If you make a burrow that has several noncontiguous areas, dwarves will take jobs in one and move there from the other. They're allowed to pass through non-burrowed space as long as their destination is in the burrow, and if you aren't careful with your burrow design you can end up with them in places you didn't expect them to be. Also, some dwarves - like children - will only respond to a burrow under a civilian alert, or if there is something for them to actually do in the burrow to draw them there.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:02 pm »

If you make a burrow that has several noncontiguous areas, dwarves will take jobs in one and move there from the other. They're allowed to pass through non-burrowed space as long as their destination is in the burrow, and if you aren't careful with your burrow design you can end up with them in places you didn't expect them to be. Also, some dwarves - like children - will only respond to a burrow under a civilian alert, or if there is something for them to actually do in the burrow to draw them there.

i tried that in 0.40 but i got the job cancellation message "area forbidden"
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:10 pm »

I've got a science fort that has separate burrows for each group of test subjects (to keep them from forming relationships with test subjects in other group, or with the staff). I discovered that dwarves will not bring an injured dwarf to a hospital if the injured dwarf is in a burrow that doesn't include the hospital. So I had to add the hospital to each test group's burrows. Now I get test subjects travelling from their group area, all the way down to the hospital, and just hanging out there. They're not doing any job in the hospital, but apparently since it's in their burrow, they can just idle there. This, despite the fact that there is a dining room/meeting hall in their group area. I think I need to just add a separate hospital in each test group's area.

I also get a ton of cancellation from dwarves trying to haul stuff to a destination outside of their burrow. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I think they take a hauling job for an item that starts in their burrow, but needs to go someplace outside the burrow. Apparently they don't check for the destination before taking the job, so they don't realize it violates their burrow, and once they get the item, they have to cancel. At least that's my guess on what's going on. It's really annoying.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:03 pm »

As EBannion indicated, boltholes are probably useless or worse. If there's something for them to do in the "real" part of the burrow they'll go there directly. If, for some reason, they went to a bolthole they'll leave it for the main part as soon as they get hungry/thirtsty/drowsy, and that's not even taking the new needs into considerations (they don't play nice with burrows, at least not individually assigned ones).

Civilian alert burrows generally cause a lot of cancellation spam because the buggers assign tasks to haul stuff from outside to the inside, then realize they can't do that, cancel, retry...
They really like to start the spamming as soon as a siege has killed an animal, or when siegers have been caught in cage traps, and pulling dorfs off a cavern full with FB rampage skeletons is sure to give you a spam fest until you physically block the access.