Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress, Adventure mode completed ideas?  (Read 2703 times)

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress, Adventure mode completed ideas?
« on: March 27, 2023, 02:13:00 am »

I've played dwarf fortress for a while, both free and steam version, and I had an question, is it possible to complete adventure mode?
I know this topic was touched at some point  but I had an idea which u would like to consider.
In my opinion to complete adventure mode you have to die of old age, if that's possible (im not sure myself), well in any case it's just an idea of my -bald head-
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress, Adventure mode completed ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 10:08:00 am »

I've played dwarf fortress for a while, both free and steam version, and I had an question, is it possible to complete adventure mode?
I know this topic was touched at some point  but I had an idea which u would like to consider.
In my opinion to complete adventure mode you have to die of old age, if that's possible (im not sure myself), well in any case it's just an idea of my -bald head-
that probably impossible for certain creatures given goblins and elves exist and they don't have an max age, and necromancy exist which also prevents dying of old age or undoing someone who died.
but the answer to that question about 'complete adv mode' well DF didn't really have a winning condition or a final goal for you to pursuit.
it's a make your own fun set your own path set up, and if you succeed or not is up  to you.
the new premium one tosses in a tutorial guide for doing stuff in the world generation simulator that has multiple game modes that you could interact with it.
for adv mode it's usually prompts the player go ask friends and peers and folks in game about stuff to do or if you start in an besieged location the game will tell you 'hey wanna stop this looming threat from ruining lives go here.' and just mark it on the map.

over the years adv mode players mostly look for the next 'late game addition' to pursuit. Before the necromancers introduction adventurers had 'the explore the caverns and go through an underground fortress gauntlet to get some cool weapon and go deeper.' late game thing to do
now it's more locate some hidden location explore that to read a name then go through a dark fortress to confront the leader of the dark fortress... then maybe go all the way down the spire and go deeper.

not many folks do the dark fortress route as you get massive slowdown visiting high populated sites and dark fortresses are pretty much that.
and there potential optional unlocks depending on how you tackle the hidden location as you could intermix fort mode and possibly unlock a new species to play in adv mode.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 12:02:24 pm »

Uh yea, plenty of adventurers die of old age, that's why people avoid human adventurers.
If you just start roaming the overworld map with a human you get old really fast.

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 12:02:41 pm »

Yes I know that dwarf fortress doesn't have a specific goal, but since the community gave some ways to "Complete" fortress mode I just had a thought. Its nothing more than a thought
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:41:55 pm »

For ME regardless of what mode I'm playing a world is done when I've used it up

So when I've captured or killed every notable monster
and every enemy civ is conquered or wiped out

My current adventure mode goal that I'm writing entries on in the community games forum is trying to intentionally turn a world into an age of fairytales

Age of twilight is very doable! Fairy tales? Less than 10% of the entire world's population is fantastic
The rest is all human

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:25:11 am »

Yes I know that dwarf fortress doesn't have a specific goal, but since the community gave some ways to "Complete" fortress mode I just had a thought. Its nothing more than a thought
Right now you have to maybe research a bad guy in Legends Mode and hunt them down I suppose.

The Villains release will have the feeling of actually "completing a campaign" once you've finally tracked down the mastermind behind whatever is upsetting the peasants.
Tarn on Steam Adventurer (new article):
https://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-devs-on-big-adventure-mode-plans-this-is-just-gonna-blow-everyones-mind/

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 08:18:36 pm »

With adv mode it's constantly shifting world generations and layouts of the world being different for each major world update often leads to the 'complete' process is just what's the newest hidden/not hidden thing that got added and just do that then maybe someone finds some interesting stories to tell from playing that version of DF adv mode.
It's almost like checking back in on a mmo to see the new expansion.

though I do feel like one person's end game completion is another person's step 2 with DF adv mode.

that all said I pretty much felt I completed a life time goal with adv mode that I started 12ish years ago and completed it when 47.04 rolled out, which was the civil bogeymen project.
and the run where I first attempt it almost botch when I forgot to get the bogeyman to become military commander of the fort so I had to wait + 2 in game years in fort mode telling migrants to leave just so that true_wing could reveal that they could in fact talk and letting me finish the challenge with getting a military commander to talk them into joining the fort's militia and then sending them off on a mission so they could come back as a full citizen.

the second attempt at this went a lot more smoother and less bloodshed so it went from challenge to a neat trick you could do... or a step for some future project.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 09:47:34 am »

It's tbh easy, You pick some animal man that you think live the shortest, maybe an ant man, and then you just sleep, eat and drink in a tavern ill you die.

Actually, that would be a much wiser choice of lifestyle than what I usually make adventurers do lol.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 03:04:14 am »

That is a lot of sleeping, with a year having 360 days.
If you are mortal you would still need to eat and drink too.
Time passes much more quickly in fortress mode. Adventurers have however certainly been reported to die of old age, see the museum games over in the community games section.