Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best material for whips  (Read 11581 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Best material for whips
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:30:07 am »

Its a pretty straight forward question. Which is the best material for whips?

I got a silver one, a iron one and a bronze one (with a bit higher quality). Am I right in assuming that since the whips right out pierce the armor then the heaviest (i.e. silver) is the best material, because it makes the most damage?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Best material for whips
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:42:20 am »

That is true, but if you want a non-weapon material, Slade, or at least Platnum would be the best.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:42:39 am »

That is true, but if you want a non-weapon material, Slade, or at least Platnum would be the best.

Sadly no artifacts are in adventure mode, atleast none Ive ever seen. Discounting the necromancer books that is.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:08 am »

Among the standard materials, silver, no contest. Their only attack type is blunt. Though other materials are useful in a pinch as well, given the contact area and penetration of the weapon.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:41 am »

Ive found that whipping on the legs is very helpful on those heavily armored opponents who keeps evading everything. Had a swordmaster who kept dodging everything and I broke his legs with the silver whip and then proceded to hammer his head in with my silver mace. That armor did him no good against that.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:23:07 pm »

Yeah, whips are such nasty disabling weapons, i recall someone on the forum defining them humorously and accurately 'a string of tiny, super-sonic hammers', or words to that effect.

Little next to no love for maces around, though, they're very underrated. After all they have to compete with hammers and whips in the blunt department.
Morningstars are surprisingly good, but sorta part of the edged weapon family instead, their main attack is not blunt.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »

silver density * whip velocity = hurtiest weapon around.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:49:28 am »

I would kill for a whip made out of an elf spine.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:48:20 am »

I would kill for a whip made out of an elf spine.

Sounds cool but bone is worthless in any form of weapon compared to basically everything except leather and shell. Ive yet to see a leather weapon though.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:04 pm »

I'm currently attacking a deity with an *adamantine short sword* but every hit is deflected by his 'pig tail fibre coat' would a whip (of any material) do any better, simply because it has a higher contact area?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:21 pm »

yes, it will be better vs fibre armor.
whips have a small contact area but high velocity.
try useing your swords pommel
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »

I'm currently attacking a deity with an *adamantine short sword* but every hit is deflected by his 'pig tail fibre coat' would a whip (of any material) do any better, simply because it has a higher contact area?
Assuming this deity is a giant demon twisted into humanoid form and not a cursed regular-sized person, I think your best bet would be throwing crap at him until a pebble destroys his skull. Since clothing scales with size, the deity basically has clothing thicker than your sword's blade.

Whips penetrated everything and never were deflected last time I checked, so that would work too. But then you might end up with the problem where you couldn't penetrate the skull because you know, the skull is giant.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »

Sadly, yes. It is a giant demon twisted into a humanoid form, although it has no skin! does that mean I have a higher chance of wounding it? and is silver really the best material for a whip? I have both a silver and an iron one.
Can I throw items at it from a different 'z' level? the bastard constantly fires webs everywhere!
Sorry for derailing the thread  :P
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:10:34 pm »

Sadly, yes. It is a giant demon twisted into a humanoid form, although it has no skin! does that mean I have a higher chance of wounding it? and is silver really the best material for a whip? I have both a silver and an iron one.
Can I throw items at it from a different 'z' level? the bastard constantly fires webs everywhere!
Sorry for derailing the thread  :P

When you get the skull, beat everything up with it :D
Silver's the best for blunt stuffs, because it have higher density, though pretty much any metal'll do because there're not too much variation.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »

Wait wait wait, you have THAT, and its being DEFLECTED, by a fibre COAT... ???
What the...how the....HUH?
Pages: [1] 2 3