Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best material for whips  (Read 10784 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Best material for whips
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »

I'm currently attacking a deity with an *adamantine short sword* but every hit is deflected by his 'pig tail fibre coat' would a whip (of any material) do any better, simply because it has a higher contact area?

Wait wait wait, you have THAT, and its being DEFLECTED, by a fibre COAT... ???
What the...how the....HUH?

Well, when a coat's sleeve's bigger around than a whole person... IIRC if it's one of those HFS deity, they can be more than a hundred times bigger than a dwarf :D

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:56 pm »

So having a whip made out of adamantine would be completely useless (like all the other blunt weapons)?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:59:27 pm »

yes a adamantine whip will be crap, a adamantine scourge is a bit better but adamantine lacks the density to do much blunt dammage.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

I'm currently attacking a deity with an *adamantine short sword* but every hit is deflected by his 'pig tail fibre coat' would a whip (of any material) do any better, simply because it has a higher contact area?
Sorry the response is a bit late, but your issue is that the penetration depth of your sword is not enough to get through the deity's clothing, as pointed out by Katana.  Therefore, you want the weapon with the largest possible penetration depth to get through his clothing.  I think a pike, at penetration depth 12000 is the best bet.  Whips have very low penetration depth, and I don't think they will work here.   Curious to know if you got anything to work.  Due to the ridiculous scaling of clothing thickness with creature size, it's quite possible that even a pike will not have high enough penetration depth.

You could also try to see if there's any areas of the diety not covered by clothing and aim for those.  If he has a cloak I think that covers everything though, so no luck there.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 10:04:43 am »

One thing I love about DF - candy is not always THE best thing.
It's bad for blunt weapons and armor.

Silver, on in the other hand...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 10:20:44 am »

Steel's the best do-everything material, next to bronze :D
Bluemetal cuts, silver smashes, but steel will do both decently.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 11:53:17 am »

So a masterwork slade whip would be the ultimate bludgeoning weapon?

E: Derp, and artifact would be better.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:10:25 pm by MrWillsauce »

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:41 pm »

Give that slade whip to your hammerer, those vampires wouldn't know what hit them.

On topic: Did you try aiming at fingers/toes? iirc they are the easiest to cut off, you might even get it to bleed to death. Also, I think someone said it before, get a bunch of rocks, stay in ambush, and throw to you're heart's content, extra points for throwing masterwork sharpened rocks.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »

I stand by my opinion that you should throw random crap at him.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2023, 01:44:43 am »

I would kill for a whip made out of an elf spine.

Would you kill... an elf for it?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2023, 05:44:47 pm »

Candy is excellent for armor afaik. It's just bad sor blunt. Full candy armor makes you pretty much imprevious to damage.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2023, 11:51:12 am »

Candy is excellent for armor afaik. It's just bad sor blunt. Full candy armor makes you pretty much imprevious to damage.

With edged attacks being converted to blunt, it's terrible now. Maybe against candy weapons it's okay, but you're not likely to face that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2023, 06:02:22 pm »

holy necro batman. how do people even dig up random threads from a decade ago, and then reply seemingly unaware of the age . . ?

Halae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2023, 10:01:30 pm »

holy necro batman. how do people even dig up random threads from a decade ago, and then reply seemingly unaware of the age . . ?
Probably google. Searching for "What are the best whip materials in Dwarf Fortress?" no doubt brings up a thread with a similar title to the search entry.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 07:20:25 am »

Ive found that whipping on the legs is very helpful on those heavily armored opponents who keeps evading everything. Had a swordmaster who kept dodging everything and I broke his legs with the silver whip and then proceded to hammer his head in with my silver mace. That armor did him no good against that.

I found that whipping to the head has a good change of one-shotting opponents, if they wear a helmet or not. I never fought anybody competent with a whip though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3