Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I want to make my own graphics tileset, but where do I even start?  (Read 30203 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make my own graphics tileset, but where do I even start?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »

A little note/request/idea: Make engraved walls and floor tiles significantly brighter/darker, so that people can make visible patterns.

Me too actually. Remember that I started playing with the Phoebus pack, which kind of engrains that tileset to me, heh. This is more like a variant of the existing tilesets rather than a completely new one. Anyway here 's a snapshot of engraved and unengraved walls and floors in the catacombs of my current fortress, Ineth Ker ("The City of Eyes", appropriate since it's a graphics test map).

Here's another shot with a different floor pattern. I still am not happy with both. They resemble basket patterns too much.

And one which I immediately scrapped for obvious reasons (I swear they didn't look like that individually).

It is as easy as replacing the pic, those numbers in the raws mentioned correspond to a certain place in the picture file, for example if tree in the raws says 30 it will go to the 30th tile in the picture and pull that picture for the tree (The coordinates for each tile are specified in the game files, so actually if it says 30 the game looks in the game files for what cordinates the 30th tile would be in the picture and then can pull the picture at those coordinates without taking any of the other pics) So just make sure you keep your sprites in the general square that their meant to be in and you'll be fine. Hope this helped.

Heh, yes, I already understood that part, although I still have minor problems searching for where these things are defined. My main problem with the raws though is figuring out how the colors are added and how to control it. I'm also documenting my progress here so it helps future modders. And thanks. :)

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:13:28 pm »

I like the first floor set. Looks like actual bricks. The second does indeed look like a basket.  :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »

I, too, like the first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

Yeah the first set is the most floorlike of the three, but it resembles the pattern on a rattan chair we have, lol, which biases me against it somewhat. I'll try more patterns and see if there are better ones. I'll probably offer them all as separate downloads in case someone wants to use them somewhere else.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:05:43 am »

An experiment that turned out quite nicely. It also complements the new floor pattern I eventually settled with. Cyclopean walls:

Underground living and dining areas and catacombs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Front gates (bridge splattered with blood from my goblin killing fields, lol):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IMO, gives it a medieval-dungeoney feel to everything :D. However, I'd like opinions on if the engravings are too much? In large numbers (for example the east entrance in the red hall, first pic) it looks like graffiti. I personally don't engrave everything, but it might prove to be an eyesore to someone who does. Should I tone it down or is it fine as it is?

You can also see some of the changes I've already implemented, including my problem with trees.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:53 am »

Looks very good! But I think you should make walls and floors more easily discernible. Right now, the "inside" of the walls looks almost identical to the floors. In my opinion it's easier on the eyes if you can identify the room structure at first glance. Maybe just make the wall insides darker.

EDIT:
I forgot, regarding the engravings, I think especially there it shows how walls and floors being very similar becomes a problem.

As for the trees, why not just make the background blacker? That is, put a 50% alpha dark grey on the pixels that are in the background.

Also, in case you haven't read it already:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Color
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:55:40 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 09:53:49 am »

I do like it, because it keeps continuity and lokos different from other tilesets. And something oddly reminds me of dungeon keeper, but thats just me.

Edit: How in hell did I write lokos instead of looks ? Anyway...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:07:45 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 10:02:14 am »

I'm liking the way it looks so far!  I'd personally choose to darken the floors a bit, and maybe lower the contrast between the light and dark areas of the bricks a wee bit just to make them a bit smoother.  But that's mostly personal taste, it looks great so far. :)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:08 am »

CLA, thanks a lot! I was looking at the wrong page all this time. >.< That page has the exact info I've been looking for. I try to avoid black backgrounds if I can, so I'll see if I can make it so I shouldn't have to.

And yes, one of the problems is that engraved floors and walls adjacent to each other look way too similar. I actually tried to do the opposite of what you were suggesting, namely making the walls lighter than the floor as Clover Magic mentions. I'll try to up the contrast a bit more.

And yep Meph, it's starting to look "mine" now. ^-^

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:20:48 am by Obsidian Soul »

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »

I agree that darker floors would look good but I disagree in the fact that I'm fine with the current contrast between the bricks. Still looking awesome, keep up the good work.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 03:26:50 am »

Still adjusting the floor/walls atm. Meh, turning any of them darker makes them way too dark and featureless, especially if built with the darker colored stone. :( Will see if I can find some other way, perhaps just by toning down the engravings in the walls or the floors. Anyway, goblins!

Dead, civilian placeholder, baby, child, various white collar goblins, captain, general, lieutenant, thief
Recruit, Military goblins
Champion, Master military goblins

I don't know what units of goblins you actually see. If you embark near goblin cities, are there goblin craftsmen, nobles, and the like? And do goblin eyes glow? Kobold's eyes are glowing and yellow I know, but I dunno about goblins, and there aren't any living ones in my fortress atm.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:36:00 am by Obsidian Soul »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:53 am »

Goblin settlements don't exist ATM, but wait a version...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 08:32:45 am »

Goblins eyes glow a nice bright red. Whenever I recruit a goblin follower, they always manage to freak me out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »

I agree that the floors should be darker than the walls (just a bit though), or make them a bit transparent on the png. You should make the walls stand out better, and I really like the set so far.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »

I can't really say much beyond what has been already advised and say I really like what you have done here. There is one thing though and that is that I really like how the engraved floor has a couple of the runes flow into the next tile as it creates a nice look of continuity. Along with that though I have to point out that the walls don't seem to do this, though its only really noticeable where different colors meet and there is only a few spots in the picture where this happens unlike with the floor tiles. It still looks fine mind you, I just wanted to point it out so I could have a valid reason for posting here beyond saying I liked it and would be following (which I will be).
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4