Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I want to make my own graphics tileset, but where do I even start?  (Read 30212 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make my own graphics tileset, but where do I even start?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »

Okay, a few suggestions after looking again at that picture of living area:
- Armor racks could use some "black line" around them to make them stand out against the ground more.
- Statues, on the opposite side, could use some "background" on the edges.

I hope I explain it in an understandable way :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 12:24:46 am »

Thanks everyone. Goblin eyes are right on then, and I'll just keep placeholders for the other goblins. Akhier, yes, good point, I'll try and see if I can make the "runes" all end up in the same places so they can connect to the next tiles.

Deon, yep. Already on that heh. They're still temporary, inserted when I still didn't have a floor pattern selected, so they're using the old ones, which of course, don't match. I'll also give them a darker outline, as with the characters (which do have them, but temporary ones, atm).

Anyway, I've also made two more variants of the wall tiles, diagonal and rounded, also still using the "Cyclopean" pattern, but I'll post pics of those once I have more stuff finished. :) Made some new doors, tried experimenting but eventually settled on doors similar to Phoebus' as they are the most recognizable. Will tackle furniture next, ground tiles, then kobolds, elves, and humans (I suppose they also don't have civilizations as well?).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:11:06 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 07:55:59 am »

Be sure to test the tracks for minecarts AND rivers/roads in worldgen. They use the same tiles, the tracks the inverted version, and might be tricky to do.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mr. Orange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:01 am »

Any progress on this? It looks very promising!

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:09 am »

Funnily enough, yes. :] I just actually got back to playing DF and am continuing with this.

The tileset is more or less complete by now. I have finished the elves, kobolds, most goblins, and most humans, though almost all of them are placeholders as the game doesn't really implement them fully yet. The main tileset is also complete, including new font (a width-adjusted Dalelands font by Neale Davidson). It just needs a few tweaks. I still don't like my current walls that much and I also aim to work on the animal and creature sets.

This is still heavily based Phoebus' tileset (it's more accurate to think of it as a graphics replacer, as the underlying raws are still purely that of Phoebus). Graphics are also based on the past works of other tileset creators. Sphr, Jiripetru, Ironhand, etc. In addition to originals, I've retained some of the tiles, tweaked others, and completely remade others using the basic concept of the earlier tilesets.

Here's a lineup of a dorf, a kobold, a goblin, an elf, and a human, to show proportions and general design. Also a nekkid elf says hi.

Here are screenshots (warning! large images!) of my dinky little fortress (pardon the mess) using the tileset as it stands. Comments welcome:
  • Main dining hall, offices, and working areas:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Farms and workshops:
  • Random cavern:
  • Aboveground fort:
  • World map:
  • Embark map (fully zoomed out):

I'm currently adjusting colors and trying to learn how to edit the raws. Once those are done, I'll post a formal release of the tileset.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:47:01 am by Obsidian Soul »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:35 am »

That's a really good tileset! I like your work on the sand.

Have you tried giving less contrast to the blocks inside the walls? Perhaps that will make them stand out more against the ground.

Also the rounded corners are not connecting well to the walls. Those are slightly pixelated. Perhaps the zoom caused this but if not, it my be good to redraw over it to make it as sharp as a straight wall.

Anyway, good job. I'll install it asap.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:01 am »

Thanks. :) I'm thinking of redoing the walls entirely, so I'll try lightening the central portions as well. As for the curves, do you mean the inside borders? The blocks on the walls aren't meant to connect precisely given that it's supposed to be pseudo-cyclopean, heh. Also it's quite difficult to make curves sharp, given the 16x16 pixel restrictions. :[

And looking at all of these now, I'm also thinking of redoing the dwarf tileset, LOL. The ones I made for humans look better for them (since it resembles the dwarfs in Stonesense). I'll make another taller tileset for humans.

At this rate I'll probably never finish. LOL. I'm too much of a perfectionist. Grrr. I should get an alpha release up soon. Also my tileset is darker, it would fit nicely with your succubus mod. ^^

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 10:29:01 am »

Despite what I said earlier, I think the distinction between walls and floors is fine. Even more so when zoomed out. So maybe just make the bright outlines a pixel wider and you should be good to go.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 07:46:38 pm »

This looks very promising. I've been thinking about switching tilesets, to liven things up a bit, and yours looks very nice. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 10:01:50 am »

Feedback for Obsidian Soul:
Phoebus bag is the "mars symbol" used for male.
Phoebus amulet is the "venus symbol" used for female.
You changed tiles for them dont show this anymore... (not a problem with TTF on)
'{' and '}' can be used for graphics if you have TTF on. Only one of them appears in one tile of the jewelers workshop.
';' is only used in mason, could be some sort of tool.
Filling/Inside color of nestbox, minecart and bucket.
Background color used for trunks of trees.
Background engraving color missing from floor under items.
 - Example: Green background anvil has no green runes engraved in the floor around it.
Cyan/Brown color-tops of mushrooms could be white.
Armorstand and Statue use same top, might be confusing at the start for new users.
What are the left/right arrows in the second line used for?
Why is the barrel using the background color for the barrel, and why does it have a black background?
Sand looks... odd. I love most of the wavy-rock/soil types, but that one is maybe too much. Only personal opinion of course.
Thread uses Phoebus rope tile. Wile still fitting, I think that this might cause confusion.
Up and Down stairs are somewhat hard to distinquish. Might just be me though.

I love some of the wave patterns, the ash with broken ammo sticking out, the sword-arrows, the dead-creature icons and the meat. I would also like to try out the floor/walls once, but that is of course a bit more work. ^^

All in all I think this is a very nice set, and on par with Ironhand and Phoebus. If you completely finish it and make a nice thread about it, I see no reason why it shouldnt be as popular. :)

Would you be interested to work with me on this? Meph x64 Tileset. I have the modding down to an art, but my actual art skills are lacking. Ignoring all creature sprites, just the tileset, that would be huge. Either x64 or x48. I think more people have use of x48. ;)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 04:21:55 pm »

Like it, but with your art style, I was expecting cutebolds. oh well. pretty sweet by the way, only complaints is that the corners don't seem to connect well, cause there is that beautiful wall, then pixelly corner, then more sweet wall. when this is released to be used, can I use it for a mod me and my friends made?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 04:46:34 pm »

wow this looks amazing, when you are finished this you wouldn't mind if I package this with my Mod? I'm surprised I haven't looked at this thread until now (In my mind I was like "Well I can't really help out with his question, I'm more of the content modder not the graphics side")

great job so far, I'm really liking it.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »

looks really good

huh Obsidian Soul your avatar set off Avast as a threat odd.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 02:01:03 am »

Feedback for Obsidian Soul

Thanks for the feedback Meph. :) I'll get to work on what I can fix there.

I usually play with TTF off, as I have the missing characters bug when I use TTF exclusively. I just F12 when something's not clear. But I prefer to make characters understandable in both TTF and tileset font. So I won't be touching '{', '}', and ';' (I don't know how to edit raws to have it be used by something else anyway :P)

I don't understand the engraving bit. Remember that the tiles are not truly transparent. So even if the floor behind an item is engraved, it will never show through when it is occupied by something else. The floor backgrounds are deliberately the unengraved versions so they will fit in most times (I use engravings very sparingly).

Noted on the stairs etc. But I won't be changing the sand and the armor stands. Those are intentional. :P

Some of the questions might be better asked to Phoebus though. The barrel's black background is just a carryover from Phoebus. The left and right arrows are used for ballista heads facing east and west. Remember,  I don't know how to change background/foreground colors. So I haven't experimented on that at all.

Anyway as for working on an x64 tileset, naaw! LOL. Sorry, but I'm really busy IRL. Which is why I just want to finish this and release it. I don't really care how popular it will be, it's just an alternative. :P Also again, I'm not a 2d artist, so I won't really be much help anyway, heh. But thanks for the offer.

Like it, but with your art style, I was expecting cutebolds.

Sorry for being such a noob, but what ARE cutebolds? :O I may make them if you can show me what they look like. I was just going with the descriptions of kobolds as smaller than any of the other races, gray-skinned, yellow-eyed, with humongous ears.

only complaints is that the corners don't seem to connect well, cause there is that beautiful wall, then pixelly corner, then more sweet wall.

Despite what I said earlier, I think the distinction between walls and floors is fine. Even more so when zoomed out. So maybe just make the bright outlines a pixel wider and you should be good to go.

I'll try to fix the wall pixelation though I can't really make the white border thicker anymore without depriving the central portion of engraving space. As a compromise, I made both sides of the wall feature crenellation.

huh Obsidian Soul your avatar set off Avast as a threat odd.

Weird indeed. I use Avast too and the avatar doesn't even show up for me. The file hosting site I uploaded it to (Omploader) had died a while ago though, so that might be a reason. Anyway, I've removed it, to be safe.

And thanks everyone else. Yes, this will be released GPL or CC-zero or whatever. You can use it wherever you want (or mix and match it with your favorite tileset). Although credit would be appreciated.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 02:19:44 am »

No worries Credit will be given, It's an alternative Phoebus right? just to clarify lol. So I know how to format my credits.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4