Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 513472 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »

Life Begins At Death!
An Undead RTD Adventure.

The world is carrying on as it always has. The rich get richer. The poor get poorer. The servi remain in the chains of inescapable servitude. The noblemen spend their days having lavish parties and bloody battles, sometimes all on the same day or even hour. Magic is in the air, and finds its way into the hands of more people every day. However, the order of the world remains the same – the select few exercise their power, sometimes in concert, sometimes in opposition, and the world moves with them. Life can’t be said to be good for most of the lower classes, but it’s the only life they can possibly have in this cruel, unforgiving world.

Some say that living is difficult, and dying is the easy way out. Obviously they haven’t died before. You, on the other hand, have. You don’t recall much of what happened on the other side, really, just that it seemed vaguely unfair and unfairly vague. Of course, you hardly have any time to worry about that right now.

Because, you see, it’s about time you were getting up.

Cross the Veil of Mortality and return to this world, wayward soul, because it’s time to get back from the dead!

Spoiler: What? What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Archetypes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The RTD System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Now, post your sheets. That is, if you want to. And have time. And don't have anything more pressing to attend to.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:34:18 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - An Undead Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »

Player Characters:

Dead Once More, Remembered Forever

In Cold Storage:

The Long-Awaited Waitlist

1. kahn1234 - Anastasia Bellblood

2. Greenstarfanatic - Alec and Alice McMasterson

3. Onyxjew944 - Chanticleer

4. GUNINANRUNIN - Daniel the Sharp

5. BFEL - Irma Pratley

6. Coolrune206 - Rune the Skeleton

7. darkpaladin109 - He Who Punches Otters

8. Lyeos - Eduardo Flurberson

9. blazing glory - Starn Gundar

10. Salsacookies - Ronald Bones

11. Dark One - Jack Jackson

12. ATHATH - Jeremy the Ghost
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:37:30 pm by Harry Baldman »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - An Undead Adventure! (accepting players!)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:13:37 pm »

Name: Alaric Delthin
Archetype: Ghost
Biography: A former Mage, He joined his undead foes after a failed Raid into the Northern Tomb-wastes(rampant in Evil energy, Crypts Catacombs and Burial Mounds, and Necromancers as a result OF said Evil Energy.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »

Name: Daniel
Archetype: Vampire
Biography: A stable hand, Daniel died when a horse kicked him in the head, then his blood was sucked by a vampire while he was unconscious. It was an exceedingly boring death.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:18:15 pm by Scelly9 »
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »

Name: Bruce Thomson
Archetype: Vampire
Biography: Brown hair, above average height, died from the bite of a vampire (duh) while working as a doctor, dislikes people 'cause they tend to be be douches, Was born into an abusive family, his mother died giving birth to him and his father always blamed him, so Bruce promised to himself that he would always seek to improve himself and live life to the fullest.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:28:34 pm by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »

Name: James Lanthorn.
Archetype: vampire
Bio: A pig farmer who died. Badly. Let's just say that pigs don't like it of you take their piglets... Especially if the aforementioned pigs are cursed...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:16:24 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:04 pm »

Room for a fifth? If so, I'll join.

Name: Samuel
Archetype: Skeleton
Biography: Samuel was just a simple coal miner. One day, he accidentally fell somewhere too hot...He was just an average man in life; - Brown hair, brown eyes, a bit below average height, roughly 5'10". After his...Accident...He became something without very much flesh. This body of bones suits him though; - He wasn't ever much of a conversationalist in life, and now in death he has a legitimate excuse. Pre-death Samuel was a nice man; he never liked to hurt anybody. He's sort of swayed from that point of view post-accident, but he still can't bring himself to harm innocent women or children.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:08:06 pm by Caerwyn »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:12 pm »

Name : Leon.
Archetype : Zombie.
Biography : Was a sentry in a small town and always took the night shift figuring that the bad guys would find it harder to spot him in the dark, Unfortunately that did not prevent a vampire from climbing the wall and dragging him kicking and screaming into the dark to feed on him but not before he was able to slash the vampires face open with a dagger. Sadly the vampire took too much blood and left Leon dead. Not so sadly he did not remain dead and returning as a zombie he then slaughtered the vampire who had killed him the horrendous scar on his face making him easy to identify.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:26:37 pm by mesor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

That's a pretty quick response time, I have to say. Didn't entirely expect that, to be honest. I love you guys!

Feel free to expand on those backstories, though, if you wish. Remember, the game begins on Friday. Oh, and I'll handpick the five (Maybe six? We'll see.) sheets I like best, those will be the first players.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »

Name: Jordan
Archetype: ZMOBIE
Biography: An amateur scientist, Jordan was never concerned with anyone's safety, let alone his own. He lived as a recluse, having his own little mansion at the top of Abbey Hill, and not showing his face in town unless he desperately needed some test subjects. Soon, he was up all night, working on his metalworks, and almost finished a completely animatronic copy of himself. All he needed was electricity...
Wanting to make a name for himself after what he believed to be a life of secrecy,  Jordan tried to conduct electricity through a few metal bars, some string, and an umbrella. His neck ended up getting tangled in the string, as the umbrella lifted him up into the air. The experiment was a smashing success! Although, all it really did was prove that Jordan was a very good conductor. The blast left most of his clothes burnt, and his hair a bit of a spiky afro.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:25:54 pm by Greenstarfanatic »
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »

Dang it. I got in three spots too late. Doubtful that I'll ever get in, but here's my character:
Name: Philip Zander
Archetype: Ghost
Biography: Philip was employed as one of his lord's guards. He was loyal, honor-bound, and trained in physical combat. He also hated magic. It's a shame he ended up with an archetype completely contrary to his character. I'd assume his primary motivation in this game would be passing on, as opposed to becoming the world's coolest, most powerful undead thing.

((Why aren't there more ghosts? Ghosts are awesome.))

Edit:
(( The host is selecting the first team it's not first come first serve. ))

*Rereads first post*

Character sheets for players are handpicked from what I think would make the most interesting party. Variety is appreciated!

((Oops.))
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:26:18 pm by peglegpengeuin »
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

(( The host is selecting the first team it's not first come first serve. ))

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »

Name: Vincent
Archetype: Skeleton
Biography: Vincent was a very strange man in life as he would laugh constantly as though the whole world was a joke; which it kinda was to him, as he was repeatedly insulted and caste out of society due to his prehensile tail. He died after accidentally wandering into a village where he was burned at the stake.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Prologue, Part One
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 05:45:06 am »

Prologue
The Dead Rise At Suppertime, Part 1

It’s winter in the area around the quiet, unassuming hamlet of Geldholm. It’s hardly past 5 in the evening, but it’s already getting quite dark. Most of the residents have scattered to their respective dwellings for the evening, be they homes, ditches or pubs, and the only street in the hamlet is almost devoid of life.

The same, however, cannot be said of the nearby Great Hope Graveyard, about a stone’s throw to the north from the village, which, despite claiming to provide the final resting places of many hundreds, is positively teeming with activity at the present moment.

At the center of it all are two figures, one carefully enunciating words from an ancient-looking leather-bound tome, the other watching out for the slowly rising creatures all around them. Both are dressed in sack cloth robes that obscure virtually all of their features.

As the reader proceeds with the words, quickly forming elaborate incantations with undoubtedly dark purposes, two more figures approach the graveyard, one from the east, one from the west. Both are relatively new at this, both are confused, both have exactly the same question on their minds: just what in the hell is going on here?

One is James Lanthorn, former pig farmer, the other is Bruce Thomson, former physician. The only thing they have in common is the curse of vampirism, contracted from gods-know-who not very long ago. Needless to say, things have been quite confusing for the two of them lately, and they are to become more convoluted yet.

As the vampires draw close to the two individuals, the lookout spots them, gasps and starts poking the reader. The reader briefly glances away from the book. He obviously didn’t expect the two arrivals, as he suddenly stops his recital. The book suddenly begins to emit a purple glow.

The reader stares at the vampires for a second, completely at a loss for words. This is taken care of when the book he’s holding suddenly explodes into flames, at which point he becomes verbose indeed!

“Sweet mother of magic, that burns! You sons of bitches, why’d you have to explode my book like that! What did I ever do to you, you bastard creatures of the night? Why? WHY?”

He drops the book on the ground and begins stomping on it, shouting at the flames for good measure. It takes him a good minute or so, but the flames are eventually extinguished, leaving a charred and brutalized mess of an occult tome. The vampires just glance at one another and shrug during all this, while the other robed person just panics and runs.

The necromancer picks up the remains of the book and looks through them.
“Let’s see, what’s left… no undead legions for me, crap… no death screams… damn, there’s only one spell I’ve got that would be of any help… guess I’ll just use that, then.”

“Okay, listen up, you bastard vampires! You ruined my spell, now you’re coming with me!”

He screams five mysterious words, and both James and Bruce feel something strange descend on their minds. Oh crap, they’ve been magically enslaved, haven’t they? And by this twerp, no less. How embarrassing.

The necromancer then points to four other creatures in the field – a zombie with what appears to be a spiky, though burnt spherical haircut, a spectral figure in perforated guard armor and two skeletons, one with an unusually long spine and a sign hanging from his neck with an inscription: "Filthy freak of nature, deserved what he got!", the other holding a wreath that has “We will always love you, Samuel.” written on it.

“Come here, you lazy corpses!” the necromancer yells, and the chosen undead obey. “You too, sis!” he addresses the other figure.

“Alright, bro. Sorry for running away back there,” the sister says, coming back from a nearby tomb she had sought shelter in.

“I guess we’ll just leave the rest of these walking corpses be. Maybe we’ll need them later,” the necromancer says, mostly to himself. He then gestures in the air.

There is a flash of light, then darkness.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:39:22 am by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Prologue, Part Two
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

Prologue
The Dead Rise At Suppertime, Part 2

All six of the undead are somewhat surprised when they awaken at a cottage of some sort. It is sparsely decorated, not to mention a bit of a mess. Bits of half-eaten food are strewn across a dining table in the room, an unmade bunk bed stands in the corner. Hand-drawn sketches of human beings adorn the wooden walls, some of them clearly impossible to draw without extensive expertise in human anatomy. On the floor there is an ancient moth-eaten carpet, perhaps bought at some flea market in one of the nearby cities.

Your observations on this collection of crap that somehow collided to make a single home are interrupted by the high-pitched whine of the necromancer’s voice.

“We’ll go to the lab. Follow me, stooges!”

“So, another night at the tomb, bro? Can I come with you?” the sister asks, having taken off the hood of her robe, revealing a plain, wide face with large brown eyes. Her stare is glassy, and her mouth is contorted in an odd grin.

“No, sis, now shut up. Let’s go, minions!” says the necromancer, also removing his hood. He sure has an awful complexion, somewhat yellowish in places. He looks pretty hateful, to tell the truth. Large brown eyes just like his sister’s, almost no chin and a large, hooked nose. He couldn’t be more than 20 years old, you wager.

You follow the necromancer outside. Around you is a thickly forested area with only one trail leading away from the cottage. The only other landmark aside from the cottage is a large mausoleum with an engraved plaque above the entrance that reads “BRADFORD”. You follow the necromancer inside the mausoleum, descending a few flights of stairs until you reach a large hall with sarcophagi lining the walls. All of them have obviously been unsealed, and many have had their lids forcibly broken with what you presume is a hammer. There are several sturdy oaken tables in the middle of the room, some of them have books stored on them, while others feature various bottles of different fluids, while still others bear jars of preserved human organs and body parts. Each table has sharp knives, quills, inkwells, candles and various other instruments on it in great quantities.

“Alright, now that we’re here, let’s get to business,” the necromancer says, glancing at the six minions.

“Firstly, let me tell you that you have been bound to me. You are obligated to follow my orders, and not doing so will cause you to experience terrible agony and eventually cease to exist. So no funny business from you piles of flesh. Secondly, don’t think that killing yourself will somehow let you get back to the afterlife. You will just disperse your soul and it will take a few centuries for it to reform. You’ll just become a ghost if you weren’t one before. Thirdly, you work for me now. Do as I tell you and I will get my sister to stitch your damned hides back together after you’re done doing my bidding.”

He walks up to a nearby table and picks up a scroll, then unfurls it in front of you. The picture shows a crude drawing of a man. His tongue is outstretched, his eyes are bulging and his ears are larger than his face. The only somewhat realistically rendered detail is his long blond beard and shoulder-length hair. There are disjointed words scrawled on the side of the drawing including “stupid bastard”, “thinks he’s so funny” and “what does she see in him”. Somebody obviously has issues.

“See this drawing? That’s Skip Rogers, and he’s a totally despicable asshole. I want you to bring me his head. Yeah, we’ll see who’s laughing then, asshole. Tonight he’ll be at the Errant Spark Inn in Richardsburgh, an hour’s walk to the west from here, partying with his friends. Of special note is a girl he’ll have with him.”

The necromancer pulls out another scroll. This one has the image of a beautiful dark-haired young woman on it, drawn in painstaking detail for maximum realism. No writing on it, though.

“You are NOT to harm this girl under any circumstances. I will personally erase you from existence if you do. Feel free to kill any of the rest of those douches with Skip, though. In fact, kill as many of them as you can. Gotta level the playing field, you know.”

The necromancer seems very impressed with himself for thinking of this idea.

“Any questions?”

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Here are the character sheets with inventories:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:03:24 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 719