Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 518291 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10425 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:41 pm »

"Violently detonate your body, hopefully before you could complete the process. Then the castle and myself if you succeeded.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:47 pm »

Knock on the door.
"Hey, I'm not here to kill you or anything. I just want to find my way to... Well, there's better places to be than an isolated village that wants to murder a powerful mage."

The door opens a crack. Edgar's looking at you from it.

"What? Murder a... do they mean the witch on the hill? Poor sods are going to get themselves killed, they are! What did they say?"

The door opens further, and the whole of the man's head pokes out. He's still trying to maintain eye contact.

"Violently detonate your body, hopefully before you could complete the process. Then the castle and myself if you succeeded.

"An optimistic assessment, but your assumptions could use some work," the king scratches his chin, sighing. "Then again, you don't really know anything, do you? If I had to guess, I would advance that as the reason I am feeling slightly bad about the whole thing right now."

"But let's hush up now, and let this next moment be yours to do with as you please, for what it's worth. Make it count."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »

"Alrighty then. Mind explaining what exactly it is you're doing before I die or explode or panic and atomize the surrounding area? If I can even do that."

Do something ridiculous while I wait for whatever inevitable doom he's concocting to descend upon me - cook a universe into being out of whatever surrounding materials there are, including the king and/or the amulet, if he doesn't object.

((Notice, I might but probably won't end up changing this action tonight, since I'm not quite sure what exactly my thoughts are doing at the moment.))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:19 am »

"Alrighty then. Mind explaining what exactly it is you're doing before I die or explode or panic and atomize the surrounding area? If I can even do that."

"The important thing to remember here is that I'm not doing anything. Or, to be exact, I'm standing here wondering if you'll catch on in the next five to ten seconds, idly considering the possibilities of either result."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: February 26, 2015, 12:14:59 pm »

""I bet it was that witch on the hill who destroyed the bridge!" and "We should look out for any foreigners that could've helped her" style of thing. Needless to say, I didn't exactly feel like staying there."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: February 26, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

Does Velusius take non-human blood? If he does you could conjure animals and kill them for their blood (or kill baby rats or mice if you can't summon things). Also, Nikolas, make sure you don't get smited by the gods for trying to ascend.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »

""I bet it was that witch on the hill who destroyed the bridge!" and "We should look out for any foreigners that could've helped her" style of thing. Needless to say, I didn't exactly feel like staying there."
I still find it funny you haven't noticed that you are in the body of a naked young pretty woman.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:41 pm »

"No, and I doubt I will until it starts to happen."
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: February 28, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »

Outside the ruins of Eckledun...

Sigmund, faced with imminent collapse of the rules of reality and good sense, panics immediately. He tries to pull his feet out of the ground before it becomes abundantly clear that it's a little difficult to pull all four of your feet from the ground at once. He then tries to pull one leg out - it comes loose, but the other three immediately sink deeper. There is a feeling of volatility to his imprisonment. His body is vibrating. He puts the foot on a nearby bit of seemingly solid ground, and is delighted to see it hold decently well. He tries to get the rest of himself out by the same method, but the violent increase of vibration due to the attempt quickly dissuades him from continuing this plan.

There's clearly something wrong here, Sigmund thinks, something wrong with the very fabric of reality. So he, being in the enviable position to actually check, does so without hesitation. The resulting picture is... unfortunate, in that he can't quite tell what's happening. His knots seem less like knots and more like... fluff, he supposes. This is probably a bad sign, he thinks as he moves on to his other plan - shifting the rock under his feet.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 2]

It seems a bit odd that it doesn't seem to work at all, not least of all because there's no rock under Sigmund's feet. It's more like soil, really. Furthermore, his feet haven't really sunk into the ground, they've phased into it. And he gets the feeling disturbing this careful balance of impossibility may end incredibly poorly. Though right now he's not quite rich in other options, either.

In the woods outside Eckledun...

Scott approaches the pillar, and is disappointed that there don't seem to be any visible cultists nearby, despite it clearly being used for human sacrifice. Maybe these aren't their operating hours. He can't see any paths leading toward here, either - the forest is otherwise just about the closest thing to primordial that one could think of. So their operating hours are likely to be a pretty narrow interval of time, too, Scott concludes. And there's probably not many of them, either.

Perhaps they live underground? Maybe there's a rabbit hole nearby he could follow down into a realm of savage butchery and devil worship? There'd no doubt be a place for him there, presumably as a god of some sort. Or maybe just a saint?

There does seem to be a hole here, as a side note. It's not a bottomless-seeming one, though, and seems to have the character of a grave or some other variety of corpse pit. Its bottom is stained with blood.

Next to a threatening yard full of pink...

Mark and Morton spring to action, with the former trying to plot a more optimal path around the yard, while the latter tests the lily pads.

Mark, for his part, quickly concludes that the safest way (relatively speaking) is probably out the way they came - since that weird thing didn't try to follow them in here, it's reasonably safe to assume it's lost the scent to some degree.

Morton, working slightly more diligently, tries to chuck a pebble onto one of the wooden lily pads. It fails to react much. He then dislodges and throws a cobblestone, which responds by bouncing up from the pad in a most satisfying fashion. The lily pad does not sink into the pond one bit, however. Puzzled, Morton moves out of the alleyway and successfully confirms that no monsters are presently after him and his friends, and also that they'd probably be able to find a much better dark alleyway to skulk into if given time and a slight bit of effort.

Wilma, finally, decides to do something a bit more radical. She takes a running jump at one of the lily pads.

[Wilma's strength roll: 3]

The jump is a bit short - she lands halfway on a lily pad, her feet accidentally sinking into the pond. The lily pad bounces her right back, and she tumbles to the ground right next to Mark in a painful-looking fashion. She seems suspiciously fine given that her feet were just submerged in what Mark assumes to be liquid madness itself.

"It was definitely worth a try," Wilma assures herself as she lays on the ground, her nice robe slightly messed up now. After sighing, she gets up and dusts herself off. "Honestly, I think it's worth another one."

At the door of Edgar Montark...

Kevin tries his best to relay the exact speech and mannerisms of the repugnantly hostile villagers.

""I bet it was that witch on the hill who destroyed the bridge!" and "We should look out for any foreigners that could've helped her" style of thing. Needless to say, I didn't exactly feel like staying there," he explains, and Edgar nods along.

"They tried this before," he says. "Tried this before, and it didn't end well, not one bit. Only the priest got away looking the same. Doesn't look like they learned."

Locals who never learn are shockingly common, especially on timescales expected of an immortal. They replenish themselves and hand themselves to people like Kevin, so that she may take their souls with practically guiltless impunity and put them to better use. All that is needed is the occasional atrocity or oddity committed by his hand, and they come in force. At least the first two times - when the third point of crisis comes along, they prefer to scatter. This is even better for harvesting, as it makes the entire village fair game. She has wondered occasionally if this could somehow be spun into a form of farming, or would a cult be better for this sort of thing...?

"E-erm, miss?" the man interrupts Kevin's thoughts. Kevin gives him an inquisitive look. "Where are you from?"

It seems like a simple enough question, though Kevin can think of at least a few probably displeasing answers.

In the chambers of King Fintel...

Niklas resigns himself hopelessly to inevitable doom, though he does feel the need to supplement it with a ridiculous act of some kind.

"No, and I doubt I will until it starts to happen," he assures the king, attempting to figure out a method to cook the universe. He concentrates his godlike powers, and brings the surrounding area to a steady boil, the king excepted.

"Would you object to being boiled?" he asks of the king, feeling a terrible lack of harmony stemming from the monarch's stupendous lack of bubbling.

"Of course not, if it's for a good cause," the king says, and Niklas includes him in the boiling as well. The air ripples, and the room feels stiflingly hot. "Do note that this isn't quite as real as you would think, this momentary godlike power." A connection is made. Niklas' body shivers involuntarily as something ineffable begins to prod him. "I was playing around with the amulet's settings a little, fine-tuning it, and this appears to be the result. Seems unnecessary, and it needs me to pull the switch. I think it was better when I first made it. No dithering of this sort at all. So, in the spirit of fairness during this little experiment, I will be generous. You have, let's say, two seconds left to use well. But that really is going to be it. Starting... now."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: February 28, 2015, 05:49:28 pm »

Niklas' expression doesn't really change as he shrugs.

"Okay. Sorry, Lifeboy."

Best not to waste time. Atomize everything but me in the surrounding several hundred miles, or as far as I can reach with my destructive power. Don't vaporize the ground under my feet though; keep the explosion to a dome above the ground. A half-sphere, not a full one. You get what I'm saying?

((Out of options, omnicidal default activated))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:53:27 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:00 pm »

((Out of options, omnicidal default activated))

((Guess where this is going to? Yep, OOC quotes thread))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: February 28, 2015, 06:48:40 pm »

In the chambers of King Fintel...

Niklas is about to bring this matter to its conclusion.

"Okay. Sorry, Lifeboy," he says, and concentrates very hard on atomizing the entirety of his surroundings (well, apart from the area beneath him). In response, the chamber fills with blinding light and deafening sound practically immediately. It feels as if Niklas could do just about anything at the moment, and as he rides this peak of achievement, the connection with his being opens, and the flow begins.

"The point was missed, sadly, but a try it was nevertheless," the king says, not speaking up to any significant degree, but plainly audible over the sound of the disintegrating light. A great wave casts a shadow of immense proportions over his soul, then crashes over it all at once, his innermost essence drowning in a deluge of something vast and alien to his body. The mycelium running through him reels and twitches, his flesh tearing itself apart as the fungus attempts to escape, then reknitting itself as some form of other authority starts to force it back into line. Niklas' vision goes dark as his mind forgets how to see, and his memories begin to flood out in order of appearance, creating a feeling of his life draining out before his very senses, a history of the Niklas that was in smells, tastes, sounds, impulses of pain and other sensations, until one by one his other main senses disappear as well, leaving but the most visceral, blurred recollections of his early days to be experienced. Finally, that mechanism too is dismantled, and Niklas' soul, now empty of experience or, indeed, anything that would even hint at a Niklas of some sort once owning it, is regarded by the being now encompassing the rest of his being for but a moment before it is nonchalantly passed toward the heavens, disappearing from sight and from relevance.

"I think I didn't telegraph the right choice well enough," King Fintel shakes his head. The room around him has not changed one bit despite at least two attempts at destabilizing its molecular structure. "But I did feel pathetic about dropping that many hints already. If I dropped more, my self-respect would never recover."

"Self-respect. I had that, once. You're not that old of a fragment, are you?" the body of Niklas responds, entirely unfazed.

"Ha," the king says slowly and flatly. "I must be the first to empirically confirm that self-loathing is much less charming when personified."

"Listening to you, I'm inclined to say the same thing. You must be me from a much bitchier time. Great that that's what gets conserved so well."

The king drags his palm across his face slowly. "I can already tell this is going to be a brilliant cooperation."

"Yes, yes. Let's get to business. Who's this, and why is he dressed like an idiot?" the body asks, pointing at itself.

"I will try to bring you up to speed as quickly as possible. First off, fungus-enabled telepathy."

The king stares at his new counterpart intently. The counterpart stares back. One or both of them nod after every few moments. A minute or two later, the body of Niklas nods one last time and, after handing the king the amulet it's wearing, walks off. King Fintel walks over to a contemptible chair and sits down, putting the amulet around his neck once more. For the next few hours, he broods, occasionally nodding as the mental reports keep coming in. The situation has grown simultaneously simpler and more perilous.

But he'll just have to live with this latest mistake, he supposes. And never try to tempt anyone with godlike power again. To have to deal with just one more of herself would be cause enough to go on a murderous rampage even before this is all over.

Niklas' soul has been cleansed and plopped into the afterlife unceremoniously! Most regrettable for all involved.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: March 01, 2015, 12:01:36 am »

((Oh right, it made the king guy be replaced by the Demon of Greed. Whoops.
I'd guess the key to survival there was taking the amulet off?))
Sig! Onol

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:53 am »

Scott will consult his less than stellar knowledge of known gods, secret cults and their practices, as well as wondering if this has anything to do with necromancy.
There is no body in the obviously used grave.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: March 01, 2015, 08:35:02 am »

Reinforce whatever rule there is in the floor to prevent two objects from occupying the same space.

If I don't vibrate too much, try removing another foot and putting it in safe ground.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 719