Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 519048 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10665 on: July 25, 2015, 06:31:08 pm »

[Niklas died, Mark and Morton are in sort of a weird-but-potentially-lethal situation in a demon realm, Kevin is playing with powers beyond mortal keen, and Darren ticked off the death god last I recall. Only one relatively safe at the moment is Scott, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: July 25, 2015, 06:34:13 pm »

((Oh, and Sigmund's relatively safe for now. He might be in a dangerous spot in a bit though, who knows with HB?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: July 25, 2015, 06:54:26 pm »

((Oh, and Sigmund's relatively safe for now. He might be in a dangerous spot in a bit though, who knows with HB?))
Plot twist: the door was a "Pull" door and the hole is the "normal" entrance, and Sigmund is in no actual danger (yet).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: July 26, 2015, 09:22:55 am »

[Niklas died, Mark and Morton are in sort of a weird-but-potentially-lethal situation in a demon realm, Kevin is playing with powers beyond mortal keen, and Darren ticked off the death god last I recall. Only one relatively safe at the moment is Scott, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type.]
{Scott is very fun, not even fate has yet tired of the torture unlife gives him.  :D }
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: July 26, 2015, 10:18:30 am »

In a town in far-off climes...

Darren decides that civilization is not for him, and floats out of the town, careful not to kill anyone on the way, flying off into the plains all around. It's a gray, overcast day, and the horizon doesn't quite fill him with hope, being some variety of brownish grassland as far as the eye can see in most directions, though off in the southward distance he does perceive what could potentially be a stretch of woods through all the grass and mud.

Perhaps it is there that he could hide, unseen by any civilized eye for interminable aeons, though how enjoyable such a fate may be is up for debate.

Atop the crumbled ruins of the fallen Black Tower of Eckledun...

Scott advances his rock management strategy by enlisting some manageable rocks in a strategical attack on the undesirable bits lying atop poor buried Francine.

[Telekinesis roll: 2]

He starts to lift a particular piece of rubble, but this then immediately explodes for an entirely unknown reason. He tries another one, and it flies off into the sky. A tornado of rubble briefly pauses in its rampage through the city to regard him, going completely still and motionless while still retaining all of its components, then shrugs and continues on its way. One bit of rubble moves the complete opposite way. Bugger. This is hardly conducive to proper landscaping, and the pinkness appears to be asserting itself over some of these rocks in an unfortunate manner.

In an improperly sealed chamber within a void eel...

Morton after taking a deep, if superfluous breath slinks under the opened door, bathing the rounded passage beyond it with his great brown light - it looks to be some kind of tube, and proves uneventful to follow back to the point he would think to be the one he was separated from good mage Wilma at.

What this appears to be is a padded wedge of some kind, at the same time delicate and firm, clearly meant for separation of ingested individuals that come in through an odd sphincter-like "mouth", or perhaps a door, at the front of the passage. The other passage - the one Wilma was likely to have flown down - seems much the same as his, including the same sort of door at the end. Rather fortuitous that they had exactly two passages to accommodate two captured individuals, truly. Must be a common thing around here, people attached to one another, that they should have a system for separating them, though Morton also gets the idea that a heaping helping of magic is also at work here, judging from the feeling these soft walls are giving him.

He is about to go and perhaps knock on the door, but suddenly the entirety of the world starts spinning all around him, the walls smashing into him and sending him in the same wild, confusing spin. This takes quite a bit of getting used to, at least two minutes' worth - this many Gs of acceleration Morton has not experienced in quite a while, though it seems to be lessening over time at a perhaps unreasonably slow rate.

In a void eel's control room...

Mark, having pushed one button, meditates on its meaning for a moment before pushing another. He feels himself get pushed backward as the eel picks up speed. Ooh! What a charming control. Should keep it in mind.

He pushes another, and there is a mechanical sound that Mark's unsure as to the meaning of. Probably nothing, really, which is disappointing. His sight is drawn to another, bright orange button. Doesn't seem to have been bright orange before, actually, which is a very interesting sign. Feeling curious, Mark pushes it immediately, and a panel slides open with a metallic noise, revealing a lever. What a charming trail of clues! With abandon people would come to expect of him if they could indeed live long enough in his presence to expect anything he pulls the lever, causing the void eel to do an incredibly strange twist and bend that forces Mark into the ceiling of the control room (perhaps it would have been a good idea to sit down and strap in, but hindsight's 20/20), the momentary weightlessness feeling very unusual and pleasant for him.

He gets the urge to laugh, but doesn't quite get the chance, as it is then that there is a louder crash than anything Mark has ever heard before, the otherworldly sound of metals never dreamed of by mortal minds crumpling as a result of massive force being exerted on them, all in the span of a second or so. There is a loud blare, and then a whoosh, and suddenly Mark falls to the ground with incredible roughness, losing a good few teeth as his face impacts the hard floor. Fortunately, he does not at all require his face to see, and so he notes without trouble that quite a few of the bits in the control room have gone slightly lopsided. And also a lot of them have gone dark. That's certainly an odd turn of events, he supposes.

In a dolphin-infested village...

Not wanting either dolphins or pink cabbages in his life right now, Kevin makes a break for it, perhaps not fully understanding the implications of running deeper into the village that appears to have been abandoned due to a combination of this and possibly more. Running away, he notes the dolphin pursuing him with gusto, its lack of human-compatible facial features nevertheless showing something that might be enthusiasm.

Kevin, naturally, comes to immediately regret this decision as he observes three more dolphins ahead coming out of a building, all joyful and making dolphin noises to one another that surely mean that something evil must be afoot here. Taking a hard left he darts between some buildings, hoping the cabbage-carrying dolphin has a wide enough profile to have difficulty following him. A nice enough plan, of course, if it weren't for the fact that he manages to plow right into a dolphin seemingly relaxing in the backyard of someone it has brutally murdered, judging by the assortment of human remains strewn about. The mass of the dolphin, of course, means that he smashes into it and falls right back, simultaneously attracting attention and losing his footing. The scarred shape of a native resident of the Sea of Death looming above him and blood rushing into his ears, Kevin ponders what to do next when the wind, still unusually articulate for these climes, finally utters something resembling a word. A familiar word.

~kevin!~ the word echoes just on the edge of his hearing, followed by another. ~hello!~

In an improperly sealed chamber of teleportation...

Not prepared to give up, Sigmund psyches himself up for some old-fashioned penetration, which he feels confident in performing on this stubborn stone wall. Preparing his magnificent presence for a moment, he thrusts forward his forceful spike, hoping to undo the wall in one great swoop.

[Sigmund's magic roll: 4]

It doesn't quite fall apart before him, but a vigorous round of thrusting does seem to do him well enough, making a serviceable hole in the wall, revealing a dark shaft beyond. Looking inside, Sigmund notices that it goes up and down, both ways for quite a distance, and that it seems rather roomy for one of his size, which both seem like very good things - furthermore, he does believe he can spot a star or two up at the top of the shaft, leading him to believe that there might be only the night sky above him. There's also another spot that he can make out a bit higher where some light is shining in - perhaps a passage to access the shaft?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:05 am »

"You again?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: July 26, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

"You again?"

~we should be saying the same thing! would not have thought that you would be alive at this point. how is life? our sight carries poorly this far off,~ the voice of the lovely gub resounds in your head, the connection growing stronger with every second. The dolphin tilts its head at your remark, perhaps wondering what you mean by it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: July 26, 2015, 11:27:58 am »

"My unlife is as confusing and hard as always. I'd appreciate it if these dolphins didn't eat me, too. I've acquired a powerful form of magic that I don't really understand, so killing me is probably not in your best interest."

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: July 26, 2015, 11:42:51 am »

"My unlife is as confusing and hard as always. I'd appreciate it if these dolphins didn't eat me, too. I've acquired a powerful form of magic that I don't really understand, so killing me is probably not in your best interest."

~oh, if only we could manipulate the dolphins! their uniqueness stymies us still. you're on your own here, friend! though we would advise you make way back to the free city of gub! we do sense a great degree of lostitude about you. and your master has already grown critically impatient!~

The dolphin, perplexed at your loud non-sequiturs, pauses to consider whether it would be a good idea to eat you just yet, or so you assume.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: July 26, 2015, 11:58:29 am »

"Oh."
Stab the dolphin and then abscond away from the village.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: July 26, 2015, 12:48:15 pm »

Bring in my phylactery and ascend atop it towards freedom!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

"Oh--oof--bother" The dizzy desk decried as he tried to orient himself as best he could spinning in a likewise spinning room. Thinking quickly, the desk's many arms sprouted from his frame once more in a multitude of directions as each tried to latch onto a surface and hold him in place. While he couldn't help the spinning, he could at least be rooted and go with the spin.

If this is successful, the desk will try to slowly amble his way towards the door good mage Wilma is presumed to be behind by inching his way across with his hands. Hopefully she's alright in all of this mess.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: July 27, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

JUST.NEED.MORE.POWER!
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: July 28, 2015, 05:45:37 am »

Keep at the buttons I will learn how to pilot this thing. After strapping myself down.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: July 28, 2015, 02:52:14 pm »

In a dolphin-infested village...

Utilizing the dolphin's confusion, Kevin launches a treacherous, underhanded sneak attack, rolling to his feet and striking swiftly.

[Kevin vs. Dolphin: 1+1 vs. 5+1-1]

The dolphin, however, dodges with shocking adeptness, and in a single instant appears to make up its mind that yes, it would probably be in its best interest to savage Kevin terribly.

[Counterattack: Dolphin vs. Kevin: 3+1 vs. 2]

Launching toward him, the dolphin slams its hard, tough nose into Kevin's chest, sending him stumbling backwards, the wind knocked right out of him.

[Dolphin vs. Kevin: 4+1 vs. 5]

The distance Kevin gains on the furious aquatic mammal, though, allows him to get a good head start on running the hell away even while the dolphin leaps forward, which in retrospect may have been a smarter idea to do immediately. Stumbling forth, he starts to run away from the village. However, his first desperate stumble does not afford him much in the way of speed, and with some concern he notes that the dolphin appears to be gaining on him rapidly, now whipped into an appropriate rage to tear every bone out of his body in short order. After running down a street for a bit with no luck, he decides to half-run, half-roll into another space between buildings, which the dolphin is fortunately too fat to comfortably fit through.

Feeling like he's got a moment to catch his breath, Kevin rests his back against a nearby wall, only to be interrupted, as one might expect, by the dolphin from before leaping at him from above. It's actually a little late by Kevin's own reckoning.

[Dolphin vs. Kevin: 6+1 vs. 6]

And though he is bumped something fierce by the dolphin's descent, he is fortunate to say that it's not as bad as all that, as most of the dolphin's weight does go into the ground, which fazes it little, as it flops back up and balances on its tail. He'd almost forgotten the pleasures of being chased about by dolphins within an urban environment.

At a hole leading to freedom...

Sigmund prepares to lift off, stepping atop his phylactery and lifting it up with his magical presence. Floating through the hole carefully, he takes a moment to look up. Quite a long way to go, it seems - difficult to tell with the darkness. He then looks down, and notes an even longer way to go. With trepidation he tries to make himself ascend.

[Magic roll: 1]

The darkness doesn't help, and neither does his rather unwieldy grip on the phylactery, and so he manages to misjudge the application of presence ever so slightly, and the phylactery tips one way precariously with him still on it.

[Agility roll: 6+1]

Sigmund makes a sudden yelp and moves his paws rapidly, causing the phylactery to tip further, combining it all with a furious reapplication of magic, a process which unfortunately furthers itself to the point where Sigmund is now running atop the phylactery constantly, afraid to stop for fear of plummeting an untold distance downward into what may be a very literal abyss.

In a spinning tunnel of misery...

Morton takes a moment to come to a standstill in the spinning tunnel's reference frame, stabilizing himself with a multitude of projected arms. Within a minute or so he finds himself next to Wilma's door, which seems undisturbed by the spinning.

It does, however, appear to be greatly disturbed by the fact that good mage Wilma seems to be yelling and banging on something from the inside, which seems like it'd call for something approaching a quick response.

Above the ruins of the Black Tower of Eckledun...

Not satisfied with his insufficient power, Scott considers briefly where he might find some more. He considers one way, then the other, and pushes at the great bits of rubble and pulls, but nothing comes of it save a small display of twinkling lights around the rubble in question, which seem to mock him.

The shameful thing is, his contemplation of the task is of such intensity that he neglects to even get mad about the nearby area clearly mocking him for being unable to dig through several hundred tons of rubble in search for a buried mage.

In the control room of a giant void eel...

Mark, having technically not failed yet at his goal in any capacity, at least as far as he can tell, sits down at the shadow fellow's chair and pulls some straps over himself, feeling much more secure already, even if he's not quite sure what the proper procedure is for using these - much like the controls, they do seem replete with whatsits and protrusions of an ominous nature. Assuming he's done a serviceable job with what he knows, though, he gets back to the controls, testing out some interesting-looking buttons, going for the first glowing one, which emits a powerful shriek that chills Mark to his very bones, and seems to shriek for as long as it keeps it pressed down. How strange.

Next he tries one of the more conspicuous levers, and finds himself slightly pulled upwards as a result. Wonderful!

Finally, he tries a green whatsit, twiddling it this way and that before finding the right way to do it - it clicks, and then Mark feels a sudden roar, and is forced down into the chair with extreme force, to the point where he starts to feel a bit faint. It doesn't last long, however, as soon the roar cuts out, and is instead replaced by a very powerful boom that sends Mark's new chair off the floor and flying upwards - he manages to avoid getting smashed into the ceiling by shrinking back and allowing the armrests to take most of the punishment, which admittedly ruins the chair's structural integrity a little.

Worse, though, Mark becomes aware of a gaping hole beneath him all of a sudden, through which the only thing he can see is blackness - around him the control room appears to have split into several fragments, which now seem to be slowly drifting apart, a black void visible through every widening crack, the individual pieces starting to rotate away from each other. The hallway that led him here, Mark notices, seems to be gone as well.

In fact, he can't really see much beyond this control room, least of all any trace of the void eel he was attempting to commandeer (though a brief red glint does indicate that the light is probably still out there somewhere), which leads him to believe that he may not be as good of a driver as he may have believed. And none of the buttons on the disintegrating control room look to be glowy anymore, which is even worse.
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 719