Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 518230 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #6990 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:33 am »

Tear open the bag further and try to get out.
((Daring escape plan go))
((Oh fuck he's going to try and cut off my clothes fuck fuck fuck))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: September 18, 2013, 11:43:31 am »

Continue waiting until I get to the desk.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »

Scott will approach the surgeon and ask for thumbs.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:07 pm »

Tear open the bag further and try to get out.
((Daring escape plan go))
((Oh fuck he's going to try and cut off my clothes fuck fuck fuck))
((I want so hard that he gets sucked into you. That would be hilarious))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »

[I don't normally include thoughts in the posts, but it seems relevant here for once what with the mind reading thing going on. Also to make up a bit for my lateness with this action.]

~Indeed? I didn't wish to ask for fear of seeming impolite, but that's quite interesting. I must say though, if you are the ship I believe this would indeed qualify as a face-to-face conversation. At least in my ledgers.~ Morton comments on, before moving on another topic. ~From what I've seen of Art, he's been nothing but pleasant and helpful, so I agree to that assessment.~ Morton pauses for the response, before swapping to yet another topic. ~You're from Mothdale, I believe you said? [Try to remember something pleasant about Mothdale and compliment it, otherwise ask how it's like.]~

Morton would normally carry on with a topic instead of swap around such, most likely say something nice about Art perhaps or a comment on the captain being the ship, but his thoughts are getting distracted, his thoughts more disjointed than usual. They keep veering towards what the others are doing and how it's been quite a while since he's seen them last with no small amount of worry. After all, every time they've been outside of his presence for an extended amount of time, they've always been injured in some way and with Erin still most likely sleeping off her drinking from the previous night and this time they're doing something actively dangerous and he has a feeling needlessly dangerous even...

He tries to focus back on the conversation, mustn't be rude, or possibly annoy the captain with his idle worries. He'll direct Art towards a bookstore, or finding a bookstore, after Art's finished with his conversation. Remember the Butler Creed: 'Remain calm in all facets that you can,' remember the Apostle's Motto: 'Tea brings light to all dark situations.' Be optimistic!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:31:58 pm by Xanmyral »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:43 am »

Darren, upon seeing the teeth, recoils the slightest amount, but keeps his face as steady as he can.
"Ah. Is there some sort of... riddle, or something?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:24 am »

In the halls of the guard HQ of Shriekpot...

Sigmund follows Carlson, asking a most pertinent question.

"So, what did Scott say?"

"Oh, nothing much. Quite a tough nut to crack, rather unexpectedly. That's why I'm going to ask you a few things as well," Carlson replies, leading Sigmund over to a different small room, indicating a small stool for Sigmund to sit down upon.

"So, my first question is, who is the ringleader of your little gang of thieves and killers? Who gives the orders?"

In some sort of room...

Kevin, though mangled, tries once more to open up the bag.

[Kevin's strength roll: 5-1+1]

He rips the bag right open, freeing himself quite easily. He notices that he is currently placed upon a table in what seems to be a morgue. He also notices the door opening and a guy coming in, whistling a jaunty tune. He looks Kevin straight in the eyes somewhat peevishly, stopping mid-note.

"Ah, not actually dead, are we?" he asks. "You really should be more careful trying that sort of thing. Getting buried alive can't have been pleasant, I think."

He looks Kevin over, shrugging.

"So, guess we gotta process you properly, then. Unless you particularly mind, that is."

At the Personal Loans department of De Jong and Associates...

Niklas, as respectful an individual as any, waits in line like a good citizen.

Fortunately, the guy in front of the line was only there to get some minor clarifications on a loan, and moves along in less than five minutes. The lady after him seems to only be here to officially declare her husband dead and to facilitate the passing on of loans and such, which also goes remarkably smoothly. After that is an elderly man, who takes about ten minutes to produce documentation that he is, in fact, alive and not dead at all, contrary to recent reports, explaining to the clerk at length the precise chain of paperwork combined with miscommunication that led to the unfortunate error, and that there is no need to start rapidly collecting debts from his son just yet. After that is a quite portly and hairy individual, clearly determined to get a loan today. He produces various statements and papers proving his income and other things, confusing legalese words streaming forth from his mouth at a rapid pace. The clerk seems to be understanding all this, and it seems that the whole thing, while quite complicated, shouldn't take too long. True enough, fifteen long minutes later the man gets up, shakes hands with the clerk and moves on after splitting his mound of paperwork with the clerk roughly evenly. The clerk motions for Niklas to come forth, and he does so.

"How can I help you today?" the clerk, a middle-aged man whose face is decidedly equine in its proportion, asks.

In a particular square in Shriekpot...

Scott walks up to the man he presumes is Holden Greenleaf, Miracle Worker Extraordinaire.

"Excuse me, would you happen to have time to give a man new thumbs?" he asks.

"Certainly!" the surgeon says. "I just happen to have some prosthetic thumbs I was hoping to try out on some convicts, c'mere!"

He pulls Scott over to him, then leans in toward the old woman, placing the needle he is currently operating on her eye with in his teeth, continuing with the operation while rooting in his pockets with his two free hands. Eventually he produces two thumbs, made out of high-quality wood from the looks of it, and starts working on Scott's hands as well.

[Holden Greenleaf medicine roll: 6+1-1]

He quickly attaches the thumbs to Scott's hands in a very secure fashion even while he carefully removes the lens of old woman's eye, pushing it downwards. Suddenly, the woman mentions that she can see vague shapes, at which point he stops, simultaneously finishing up the affixing of Scott's thumb.

"Congratulations! You are both healed by the skill of Holden Greenleaf, Miracle Worker Extraordinaire! Live long and healthy lives, both of you! Now, who's next?"

A man with a rather pronounced limp enthusiastically raises his hand, trying to make his way to the surgeon. At the same time, a rather sickened-looking woman also approaches.

"Enthusiasm! Wonderful!" Mr. Greenleaf exclaims, subtly shooing his two previous patients back into the crowd.

On a telepathic ship...

Morton continues his mental dialogue with the amiable ship.

~Indeed? I didn't wish to ask for fear of seeming impolite, but that's quite interesting. I must say though, if you are the ship I believe this would indeed qualify as a face-to-face conversation. At least in my ledgers,~ he comments, though he's not sure how he actually splits off individual comments in his mind.

~I am quite faceless, however. In that respect, I can't relate to another being through body language, expressions or anything of the sort that one hopes to attain from a face-to-face conversation. At least, not without intruding more than most find comfortable.~

Morton considers this, then moves on.

~From what I've seen of Art, he's been nothing but pleasant and helpful, so I agree to that assessment.~

~He also seems rather educated on the subject of marine travel, interestingly enough.~

~You're from Mothdale, I believe you said? I hear the desert there has wonderful sunsets.~

~Mothdale doesn't have a desert, I'm afraid. And I wouldn't know about the sunsets, since I only have secondhand information on the subject. My senses are mostly just spatial and intuitive, you see.~

At the engineers' gate of the City of the Dead...

Darren wonders if this is some kind of test.

"Ah. Is there some sort of... riddle, or something?"

The gibbon shrugs in a somewhat indecisive manner, closing its mouth thoughtfully.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:10 am »

Sigmund knew that Scott was willingly to spill out all the beans to save himself, so he said:

-Well, you want information that is not influenced by external information, but I know that Scott must have said something to save himself. Anyway, I will answer you: the term "leader" is not exactly what best describes our kind of organization. I can not even say that we are organized. That group of people do mostly what they want. I tried sometimes to give orders, but that bunch of stupids just listen to somebody else if they want to, so most of the time, if I want them to do something, I have to suggest it and give reasons. For example, back in the store, we had to gain access to the top floor, so I suggested entering through a window, but they decided that it was better to try to punch down a steel door, and spent quite some time doing so. It is actually frustrating to try to do something with them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:14 am »

"Processed how? Are you going to kill me?"

((You should imagine IRL me uncomfortably gripping the trump card in his pocket, not sure if it'll save him this time.))
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:54:15 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:33 am »

I need a loan. 2 gold, three silver.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: September 19, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

Scott will find something to test his thumbs on. He'll see if there are any street food vendors.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:31:05 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: September 19, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »

~Ah, apologies, I must of been thinking of [insert place with desert by it]. I admit to not having of gotten out much in my first chance, so my knowledge of the world may be particularly shaky at best I'm afraid.~ Morton explained, but his attention drew in on one of the Captain's statements. He wanted to say something about that, but wasn't quite sure how he should word it. He'll give it his best shot he supposes.

~I personally wouldn't necessarily say that being face-to-face with someone is about having a face, or expressions, or even body movement. Indeed, I'd rather say it's a sort of... Understanding that they're there, so to speak. Being on equal grounds, with equal attention, I suppose. I no longer have a face, indeed for a while I lacked limbs or any kind of ability to gesture beyond a kind of wobble or to open and close a drawer. I wouldn't say that I was then unable to truly speak to someone. Indeed, I made two good friends who have helped me in my need during that period of time even though I could do little more than just speak or wobble. One of the people whom I've met had their expressions was similarly missing, their face little more than two eyes, nor was one for gestures.~ Morton remembered back when Craig shared what he really looked like beneath his illusions, and what Morton did, looking back into the darkness of his face. He found better words to express his idea.

~It's less about looking the other in the face but rather... Through it, so to speak. Beyond it. Knowing who the other is, not are, the matter that personal details are shared that might otherwise be receded in normal conversation. You may not consider this a face-to-face conversation because of lack of expressions or body language, but I certainly do, because its not about those things. It's about what they convey, what is shared, not the method it's shared. I admit I perhaps don't hold the same value to the word as others, but I question why not? What is life if there aren't other people, friends, to share it with?~ The desk issued forth his overly wordy response about a topic he particularly cared about.

~You may not of seen a sunset, but perhaps I can help you there. Do you want to see one? You can hear my thoughts, can you see through my eyes? I'd be willing to let you see through them, see a sunset for yourself.~

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: September 19, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »

Darren takes a step back from the gatekeeper to try and think for a moment of another question he could ask and get a less roundabout answer. After a few moments of rubbing his head and swearing, he returns, a question in mind.
"Is there anyone else who could tell me how to get in?"

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

[This door is just giving you mathematician answers, I don't think it will ever give you a straight answer beyond 'true' 'false' or 'I don't know.' Riddles and all that. If you want my guess as to his answer for your question it will be a nod. Can you phase through the walls? That might be a way around the door, but I admit to not have kept up with what's happening to you admittedly.]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:06:43 pm by Xanmyral »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: September 20, 2013, 06:51:50 am »

In a small room in the guard HQ of Shriekpot...

Sigmund, not really buying that his good buddy is anything but a filthy rat that will sell him, his own mother and anybody else who he finds along the way to save his own craven hindquarters, still goes ahead and provides a testimony.

"Well, you want information that is not influenced by external information, but I know that Scott must have said something to save himself. Anyway, I will answer you: the term "leader" is not exactly what best describes our kind of organization. I cannot even say that we are organized. That group of people do mostly what they want. I tried sometimes to give orders, but that bunch of stupids just listen to somebody else if they want to, so most of the time, if I want them to do something, I have to suggest it and give reasons. For example, back in the store, we had to gain access to the top floor, so I suggested entering through a window, but they decided that it was better to try to punch down a steel door, and spent quite some time doing so. It is actually frustrating to try to do something with them."

"Ah. Hm. Well, your friend did mention one thing - somebody named the Artiste. Who is that?"

In the morgue of the guard HQ of Shriekpot...

Kevin can't help but wonder what this guy means. He seems like an unsavory type, to be honest.

"Processed how? Are you going to kill me?"

"Erm... probably not? I'm not exactly sure what you did - I think I'll just have to chop your arm off after we book you as not actually killed. Nothing that should bother you too much, I'd say."

In the Personal Loans department of De Jong and Associates...

Niklas sees no point in any sort of ceremony, and just states his request.

"I need a loan. 2 gold, three silver."

"Certainly, but first I will have to take a sample from your central chair. Standard policy, you see. May I?"

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Scott, feeling quite good about his new thumbs, tests them out. He finds that he can move them, but not bend them - fortunately, the thumbs aren't completely straight, but rather slightly hooked in shape.

He casts his eyes along the streets, hoping to locate a food-related street vendor or two. Sadly, none appear to be around. Guess hawking snacks on the streets this early in the morning isn't very profitable or something.

On a telepathic ship...

Morton feels like a rapport is developing here.

~Ah, apologies, I must've been thinking of Lothenburg. I admit to not having gotten out much in my first chance, so my knowledge of the world may be particularly shaky at best I'm afraid.~

~Lothenburg, sadly, also lacks a desert of any sort, being an island town. However, geography can be quite confusing, so I do not hold it against you, really.~

Rather than speak about a subject Morton really has zero clue about, he chooses to cleverly direct the conversation along a different path.

~I personally wouldn't necessarily say that being face-to-face with someone is about having a face, or expressions, or even body movement. Indeed, I'd rather say it's a sort of... understanding that they're there, so to speak. Being on equal grounds, with equal attention, I suppose. I no longer have a face, indeed for a while I lacked limbs or any kind of ability to gesture beyond a kind of wobble or to open and close a drawer. I wouldn't say that I was then unable to truly speak to someone. Indeed, I made two good friends who have helped me in my need during that period of time even though I could do little more than just speak or wobble. One of the people whom I've met had their expressions was similarly missing, their face little more than two eyes, nor was one for gestures.~

~It's less about looking the other in the face but rather... through it, so to speak. Beyond it. Knowing who the other is, not are, the matter that personal details are shared that might otherwise be receded in normal conversation. You may not consider this a face-to-face conversation because of lack of expressions or body language, but I certainly do, because its not about those things. It's about what they convey, what is shared, not the method it's shared. I admit I perhaps don't hold the same value to the word as others, but I question why not? What is life if there aren't other people, friends, to share it with?~

~Life is what you make of it, or so I've heard. I wouldn't know.~

This gives Morton an idea.

~You may not have seen a sunset, but perhaps I can help you there. Do you want to see one? You can hear my thoughts, can you see through my eyes? I'd be willing to let you see through them, see a sunset for yourself.~

~I cannot see at all. I simply lack the mental apparatus for the process, as my other senses make sight superfluous, thus obviating the need for anything that provides visual interpretation. Thus, the only impressions of sunsets I can obtain are from the thoughts of others, and such impressions I have had plenty of. To others, a sunset may create unusual emotions and experiences, but to me it means nothing. It is a thing that I am incapable of seeing or interpreting in any meaningful way. And, to be honest, I do not feel particularly diminished for it. Not my thing, as they say.~

At the engineers' gate of the City of the Dead...

Darren continues the asking game after a brief time-out to think of something.

"Is there anyone else who could tell me how to get in?"

The gibbon thinks for a short bit as well. It then nods.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 719