Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 513556 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8235 on: January 06, 2014, 01:37:31 am »

@Spinal: Other forms of payment might work too, perhaps bartering or by performing magic for her?
((Thank you for being a genius.))Ah. Of course that didn't work. She's crazy.
Darren backed up a little. Her eyes had seemed charming, in a sense, before. Now, the multitude of eyes and her expressiveness terrified him further. His mind raced in an attempt to find a method to survive. Then it hit him."I don't have 500 quicksilvers on me, but, perhaps we can negotiate another way to pay."
Do a quick little trick. A sleight of hand cantrip.
Though it pained him greatly to even offer revealing the tricks of his trade, the concept of re-dying pained him more, so he went for the survival.
"Are you interested in sleight of hand? I can teach you some tricks, then you can use them to draw attention to your shop."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:55:53 am by Spinal_Taper »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: January 06, 2014, 01:41:20 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
"Is it perhaps possible for good mage Erin to make me some ectoplasm and I attempt to make tea from that myself? Although I suppose I might need enchanted tools for that, perhaps. Hm..."

The desk pondered to himself. Such complications, but he supposes it is to be expected really for such a task. This doesn't deter the butler however.

"What exactly makes something irrefutably enchanted? Does it have to be particularly magical, a sort of measure I suppose, or would any touch of magic do?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: January 06, 2014, 01:56:01 am »

"Oh, and the guy doesn't like talking about his nature. He said that he was just a necromancer to this demonologist guy. So don't believe him."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:38 am »

Axe the lobster to dinner!

Didn't you have a hammer? I don't recall you having an axe.
Hammer the invitation home then! :P

(I forgot myself -.- :P)
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: January 06, 2014, 09:03:24 am »

In Undefined Space...

"Ooh! Dat smells nice!" Timothy remarks upon the portal. However, a measure of distrust creeps into his mind. Sure, it smells real nice and looks real nice, but how can he be sure that it's not actually a horrible trap executed by horrible people? Clearly, he needs counsel.

After straining his mind for a couple of moments and finding telepathy a terribly elusive prospect, he turns to his people skills instead, looking Og and the mask-thing over cautiously. He supposes they seem okay. Not very evil at all. So he supposes he can trust them. And the portal does smell nice. Nothing to it, then! Into the portal he goes, diving headfirst into fresh, new adventure. There is a moment where he feels turned inside-out, but it quickly subsides as he looks around. This place looks like a sort of idealized version of the mortal world - a sort of small, idyllic village, except it feels more... saturated. The colors are brighter, the smells are nicer, the sun itself seems to shine at him more pleasantly, and the birds chirp wonderfully enough that an inattentive enough listener might in fact confuse the noise for actual music. It reminds Timothy of something, but he can't quite pinpoint what that might be.

This is mostly because, before he can process the whole thing fully, a creature appears next to him suddenly and without warning - a rather androgynous thing, tall and dressed impeccably, with golden hair and a bright smile. It looks at him joyfully, and suddenly Timothy is surrounded by a crowd of beautiful, yet somehow... unusual men and women, who regard him with no small measure of amusement.

"HELLO, MORTAL!" the voice of the creature booms at him. "WELCOME TO THE REALM OF LOVE! I GET THE FEELING THAT YOU AND I WILL BE THE BEST OF... HM. YOU SEEM TO BE CHAINED TO A DEAD MAN, SIR! ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS?" the creature begins, then suddenly takes on a less official tone, looking at Timothy skeptically.

Timothy took in the scene- and these strange people accosting him- slowly, with his ghostly eyes wide with bewilderment. When the being mentioned a "dead man", however, he snapped back to attention with a frown, glancing quickly about himself in alarm.
"Whatcha means? What dead man?! I hopes no-buddy's been deaded 'cause of all dis weirdyness..."

Timothy was feeling quite overwhelmed, as was evident from his expression as he looked back to the speaker. This plane-hopping business had certainly taken it out of him, overall the poor ghost just wanted to go home, as interesting as the place looked. He longed for something familiar, even something small, just to reassure him.

>Ask hurriedly for an explanation of which "dead man" this fellow is talking about.

>If there's no immediate danger I can see, look around and try to see just where and what this weird place is.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:09 am »

((Probably Bernie. Scott shoved him into the sea and he died.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:58 am »

((I figure it's Bernie(although I haven't actually read that part), but, Timothy being Timothy he wouldn't have a freakin' clue. :P))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:06 pm »

Inside the Webbed Toe...

Kevin finds the idea of taking his new friends over to the ship most agreeable.

"Sure, that solves all the problems. We'll just move the party there!"

"Wonderful. Let's move then, shall we?"

"Yes, let's."

Before they can move, though, Mark writes out another message on a nearby wall.

"Yeah the body is from a demon summoner who screwed up trying to kill me and he got possessed by the our master"

The words are not lost on Kevin's two friends.

"Ooh, I've heard of things like that. Never seen convincing proof, though."

"Probably because nobody it's happened to has ever told the tale, so it's easier to assume they were just crazy or whatever."

This makes Kevin remember something.

"Oh, and the guy doesn't like talking about his nature. He said that he was just a necromancer to this demonologist guy. So don't believe him."

"Duly noted!"

"Should we interrupt Marlene and... the other one over there?"

"Meh, let them resolve their differences. I do so hate people who get irritable when they're drunk."

And so Lizzie, Stephen and Kevin all head out for the ship, leaving Marlene and the other one - and Mark and Niklas, by extension - behind. The two remaining undead utilize their time in varied ways - Mark, for his part, sneaks outside and tries to find the chair-hating gentleman who might provide some free parts for him to mess with. However, he is nowhere to be seen - only the mutilated remains of two chairs and a sizable puddle of blood provide evidence that he was even here to begin with. There is a small blood trail, but it quickly ends. Judging by the lack of a corpse, he must have either stopped the bleeding or been lifted up into the heavens somehow - at this point, neither would be entirely surprising.

Niklas, meanwhile, seeks to connect with the chair he's currently holding. Despite his best efforts, though, chair empathy proves elusive, and the noise in the ruined tavern in combination with the failure is starting to make him quite annoyed.

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, knowing what he needs now, thanks Erin for trying to help him in his time of need.

"Oh, well I guess that I will figure how to do this on my own. Thanks anyway."

Guess he'll have to do this the uncivilized way. He heads down into the cargo hold, grabbing a whole lot of paper on the way, then sits down to concentrate a moment. The task ahead is going to be quite dire, and he must be ready... sadly, though, he can't really imagine what challenges he might face. So far, his focus creation has gone pretty well. He has no idea what he's in for, to be honest, and that's a little frightening.

Meanwhile, back on deck, something appears on the horizon.

"Is that Kevin?"

"Looks like he isn't in great shape."

"Who are those people with him?"

"They seem... harmless? I guess?"

"Well, that's good."

As the people on deck assess the approaching people, Evelyn flaps her wings and makes her usual hissing sounds, then returns to trying to pick up small objects with her grasping rib-beak. Within a few minutes, the three people step on deck. Lizzie makes an unnecessary throat-clearing sound, then speaks.

"The party has arrived!"

The people on deck are silent a moment.

"Uh... welcome? Who are you?"

"We're friends of Kevin, and we're here to spread good cheer!"

"Or at least greedily get more of it for ourselves, if you don't prove too friendly - don't worry, it happens."

"You're the Artiste, right?"

The Artiste sighs, glancing at Kevin for a moment.

"Yes. That I am."

"Kevin here says you're a pretty amazing necromancer!"

"I suppose?"

"Can you fuse souls?"

"Not sure, really. I've never tried it. Isn't that dangerous? I don't think you're supposed to do that."

"So what?"

"Yeah, come on! From what Kevin said, you're like some kind of soul... master or something!"

The line of conversation appears to be making the Artiste a mite uncomfortable.

In the waters under the Second Shank...

Scott, thinking on his feet as always, dives at the lobster with his hammer.

[Scott's swimming roll: 1-1]

He tumbles through the water like an elephant in a tidal wave, and for a moment isn't really sure where he is or what exactly is happening to him at the moment.

[Lobster's charge roll: 6+1]
[Lobster vs. Scott: 3+1+3 vs. 4-1-1-1]

Then, however, he realizes what just happened - a lobster just went by. He had two claws to show him. They were really, really sharp. And now he's in three pieces - neatly severed head, neatly severed pelvis and legs, neatly severed torso. That lobster may have been a little dangerous, Scott concludes.

[Scott's will roll: 6]

As his head, the current seat of his soul, it seems, floats down to the bottom of the sea, he briefly wonders how he'll get out of here. He'd be more shocked about just getting diced like that, but right now it really just feels like a logical continuation of what's already happened to him at this point. After a brief moment of fidgeting about, he notices the lobster poke at his torso for a moment and sample a piece of it. He'd never really thought of lobsters as things that eat up until this point, honestly. It doesn't seem particularly interested, and promptly leaves, once again resuming a confused-looking, leisurely swim.

In the den of the Second Shank...

Morton, wondering about what kind of world he is about to step into, asks follow-up questions on magical teamaking.

"Is it perhaps possible for good mage Erin to make me some ectoplasm and I attempt to make tea from that myself? Although I suppose I might need enchanted tools for that, perhaps. Hm..." he ponders. "What exactly makes something irrefutably enchanted? Does it have to be particularly magical, a sort of measure I suppose, or would any touch of magic do?"

"As long as it's magical in some way, it should work - I've never tried it myself. All I know is that ghosts can be sliced to bits with magical weapons - why couldn't they imbibe magical tea as well? I don't think anyone I've heard of has tried it, actually. But it sounds crazy enough to attempt, no?"

In an artifact weapon-pet store...

Darren wonders if this lady'll be open to bartering.

"I don't have 500 quicksilvers on me, but, perhaps we can negotiate another way to pay."

The pet store lady's eyes widen with interest, though she still seems generally distraught. Darren decides to perform a quick trick to cheer her up - his handkerchief trick. While complicated, it is also quite interesting. At least Darren thinks so, anyway.

"Are you interested in sleight of hand? I can teach you some tricks, then you can use them to draw attention to your shop."

The ghost stares at Darren cryptically for a few seconds, blinking irregularly. She then slowly nods.

"That... works. Yes."

She doesn't look fully on board with the idea - rather, the look on her face is one of resignation.

In the Realm of Love...

As Timothy takes in the scene, several questions arise in his mind. But one definitely takes precedence.

"Whatcha means? What dead man?! I hopes no-buddy's been deaded 'cause of all dis weirdyness..."

The creature laughs. Its voice, like most everything here, is strange to Timothy - the voice makes him feel oddly excited, instilling a feeling of longing.

"I WOULDN'T KNOW, MY FRIEND. I JUST KNOW THAT IT ISN'T HEALTHY TO TRAIPSE AROUND LIKE THAT. HERE, LET ME SEVER THAT FOR YOU," the person says, and Timothy suddenly feels much lighter. "THERE WE GO. YOU'RE FREE NOW."

Not ready to give a reply just yet, Timothy looks around. There's no sign of the portal he came in through, and the rest looks like the pastoral backdrop he'd already seen - it looks pretty much like the normal world, but more colorful. Or is that just him being momentarily unaccustomed to the sight of normality?

"SO, HOW CAN I HELP YOU?" the androgynous person, apparently quite the important person, judging by the volume and authority of its voice.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »

EVERYONE SHUT UP!

Shut them up.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: January 06, 2014, 10:22:19 pm »

Morton's front end dipped and rose slightly in a nod. Brewing tea with ectoplasm would require enough magical tools to just make enchanting the end result of a normal brewing easier, the butler figures.

"I believe it might be easier to simply enchant the tea, but the process is unknown to me. Would you perhaps have some advice, or someone I could turn to to ask such a question? I don't believe it would need to be anything interesting, just simply something to satisfy what I wish."

After a second, the desk remembers the branch. Isn't that enchanted? As well as the magical fire-maker? Although he doesn't have the latter anymore, a pity really.

"Would having something enchanted perhaps help in this endeavor? I happen to have a branch that's enchanted, rather nastily unfortunately, so it isn't one I'd quite like to replicate. Would it help as a reference, perhaps?"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:25:58 pm by Xanmyral »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: January 06, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

Mark goes back inside grabs Niklas and takes his back to the boat so we can finally leave
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: January 07, 2014, 03:41:17 am »

EVERYONE SHUT UP!

Shut them up.

Who are you addressing?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:24 am »

((Everyone who's currently speaking.
In the tavern, of course, not across the entire world. Though if you can make that work please do :P))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: January 07, 2014, 03:44:34 am »

Nobody's actually speaking in the tavern.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: January 07, 2014, 03:53:24 am »

((Huh. I'm really bad at the readings operation, then.
Ah, just have me do it anyway. Might as well be crazy alongside the everything else.))
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 719