Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 519622 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8265 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:32 pm »

In the Webbed Toe...

Niklas, while looking around the tavern, suddenly gets a powerful urge from an unknown source, an itch at the edge of his mind that direly requires scratching. Abandoning whatever it was that he was doing, he straightens out and lets loose a mighty shout!

"EVERYONE SHUT UP!"

It doesn't come out as large-sounding as he had hoped, but it does get the attention of the two telekinetics nearby. Both of them don't seem pleased.

"HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT UP?" the rotund, northern-looking one shouts right back, the resulting pressure wave lifting Niklas off his legs and sending him flying into a wall as the windows of the tavern (and, if Niklas hasn't missed his mark, the windows of several nearby buildings as well). The thin woman applauds.

"Well said. Don't take guff from furniture, my mother always told me."

"Can you believe the gall on that one? Not even a real person, and talking to one's betters like that."

"I'm not entirely sure he's not real, though. I mean, we both heard him."

"Well, we are both equally inebriated."

"So it's like a hallucinatory wavelength, you think?"

"Exactly! I've been working on this theory, you see. How about we discuss it over a nice drink?"

"Sounds agreeable, I suppose."

"Wonderful! I think there's some goods left behind the counter. Let's check it right now!"

The two women then go behind the somewhat ruined barkeep's counter and start rummaging through the rubble for alcoholic substances. Niklas, meanwhile, peels off the wall mostly unharmed. At this point, Mark comes in through the door, grabbing the stunned chair surreptitiously, then leaving the premises post-haste. He arrives back on the ship only minutes later, depositing Niklas on deck. He wonders if now would be a good time to raise his arms in triumph.

"Hey, look who's here! What took you so long? The party's already happening!" the unfamiliar wizard man from the tavern says to him, looking quite smug as he sits next to the Artiste. He doesn't wait for an answer, but merely turns back to the Artiste and starts talking about something else.

"So yes, there's a whole lot of things you can do if you know abjuration - I once had this amazing idea for a wedding. I started by making one whole temple of Narcillicus completely bouncy - you could leap at a wall and you'd bounce around the entire day!"

Kevin, meanwhile, heads below decks with Lizzie, questing for chairs.

"You're not gonna find any chairs, I think, Niklas took them all. But let's go below-decks, I guess."

"Let's go, then. Adventure awaits!"

They both go down the stairs - well, Kevin stumbles and has to crawl the last few bits, but they do get down eventually. From there, they walk down the hall.

"This is a very interesting-looking place. Who did the interiors for it?" Lizzie asks, but before Kevin can answer, they reach the door to the den. "Ooh, that place looks promising! It's even got free chairs. Very sleek-looking ones, too!"

She pulls Kevin inside and seats him in one of the chairs, then sits down next to him. Art and Morton, who are currently located opposite her, don't quite notice her immediately, being engrossed in conversation between themselves.

"I believe it might be easier to simply enchant the tea, but the process is unknown to me. Would you perhaps have some advice, or someone I could turn to to ask such a question? I don't believe it would need to be anything interesting, just simply something to satisfy what I wish. Would having something enchanted perhaps help in this endeavor? I happen to have a branch that's enchanted, rather nastily unfortunately, so it isn't one I'd quite like to replicate. Would it help as a reference, perhaps?"

"I'm not really an expert in enchantments, but I don't think it'd be good to use something cursed as a reference. Maybe-"

"Hello!" Lizzie suddenly interjects, visibly startling Art. "I'm Lizzie, a friend of Kevin's. Who are you people?" she then asks. "Oh, wait! How stupid of me! That one's the desk guy, but the other one's..."

"Art."

"Hm? What?"

"My name's Art."

"Well, hello then, Art! I'm very pleased to meet you. And the desk guy as well, I guess."

"His name's Morton."

"Of course. Pleased to meet you and all that, Morton."

Under the sea...

Scott, having thus far demonstrated willpower that's been nothing short of heroic, tries to apply it for something other than not dying. Like, say, fixing himself up. He concentrates on his limbs and torso.

[Scott's magic roll: 2-2]

Try and fidget as he might, however, the regeneration isn't happening. Scott supposes that magic isn't one of those things you can achieve through willpower alone... at least not in most cases, anyway.

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, realizing that there's no way to assess difficulty without experiencing it (or lack thereof) firsthand, so he tries to go ahead with enchanting a sheet of paper anyway.

[Sigmund's focus creation roll: 6]

Easy as pie, honestly. Sigmund thinks he might be getting pretty good at adjusting this particular sort of knot. At least he hasn't died yet or anything. He thinks. Unless reality shifted and he's now the last person on the planet. In an alternate dimension or something.

Not that such a thing could happen, of course.

He thinks so, anyway. He's not really an expert, though.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: January 08, 2014, 02:57:14 pm »

((Nice, now I'm paranoid))

Get to the deck. Check is everything is in place

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: January 08, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

Scott will then try and mentally shift the magical binds keeping his soul fixed in his body so he can try and form ethereal limbs like a ghost.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »

"Well, I's already handy-some enuff," Timothy mused, "An' I thinks full up on 'grace' alreadies, too. What's you meanin' with 'bewitching'? Is dat makes me sound like a... a... a witchy-lady?" Confusing words aside, though, Timothy was a bit distracted- something else was bothering him. He made sure not to interrupt his new friend, but still, he had to ask, "Oh yeah, dat um, dead man you's said I was tied with... who was they?"

>Ask what the being means by 'bewitching', then also ask just who the 'dead man' it mentioned was.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:00 pm »

I AM INCREDIBLY INDIGNANT!

Run back to the bar and get into another shouting match with that telekinetic.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: January 08, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »

I AM INCREDIBLY INDIGNANT!

Run back to the bar and get into another shouting match with that telekinetic.
Stop Him and restrain him till he apologizes or we sail away
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: January 09, 2014, 02:00:07 am »

"Art fell through the portal too, he's a guy. And Erin transmuted the ship."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:37 am »

"Alright, first, I'm going to teach you the basics of sleight of hand. Just basic stuff like the double-lift. Do you have a deck of cards in here?"
If she does not, try and find one in the outfit somewhere.

In either case, try and teach her the basics. Once she gets those down, move onto misdirection.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: January 09, 2014, 02:59:06 am »

An interesting character, no doubt it seems. Not every day one sees a gold skeleton after all, but the butler supposes the same could be said for talking furniture or a skeleton with a tree for a head.

"Always a pleasure to meet a fellow second chancer, and more so a friend of good jester Kevin." Morton greeted the golden skeleton, Lizzie, properly as he gave a desk bow. Hearing Kevin's explanation, the desk continued.

"Yes, we all do have a rather interesting habit of falling into portals. A quite voluntary one, to be precise, but none the less."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:34 am »

"Well, I's already handy-some enuff," Timothy mused, "An' I thinks full up on 'grace' alreadies, too. What's you meanin' with 'bewitching'? Is dat makes me sound like a... a... a witchy-lady?"

"IF YOU WANT, YES! IF YOU WANT, I COULD ALSO MAKE YOUR VOICE EXTREMELY COMPELLING OR SEDUCTIVE, OR MAKE YOUR EYES OR VOICE PETRIFY PEOPLE WHEN YOU WANT THEM TO... FIGURATIVELY OR LITERALLY, PLEASANTLY OR UNPLEASANTLY! I COULD EVEN TEACH YOU A SECRET, MAGICAL LANGUAGE OF THE BODY THAT YOU COULD USE TO ACCOMPLISH ANY NUMBER OF MAGICAL FEATS! YOU NEED BUT ASK!"

Confusing words aside, though, Timothy was a bit distracted- something else was bothering him. He made sure not to interrupt his new friend, but still, he had to ask, "Oh yeah, dat um, dead man you's said I was tied with... who was they?"

"I DIDN'T QUITE CHECK, HONESTLY. HAVE YOU BEEN BOUND TO ANYONE BY YOUR SOUL LATELY? IT'S LIKELY THAT THAT'S WHO THE DEAD MAN IS."

"Always a pleasure to meet a fellow second chancer, and more so a friend of good jester Kevin." Morton greeted the golden skeleton, Lizzie, properly as he gave a desk bow. Hearing Kevin's explanation, the desk continued.

"Yes, yes, yes, of course," Lizzie replies, not really looking at you.

"Art fell through the portal too, he's a guy. And Erin transmuted the ship."

"How fascinating! What sort of portal was it, if I may ask again? I don't recall finding out. And who's Erin again?"

"Yes, we all do have a rather interesting habit of falling into portals. A quite voluntary one, to be precise, but none the less."

"A habit, huh? Whatever you say."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:15:02 am by Harry Baldman »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:28 am »

Who are we waiting on for the turn
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: January 09, 2014, 08:41:06 am »

((It seems that we will never depart. One of us is a head in the bottom of the sea, and another one is doing nonsense in a tavern.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:09 am »

Who are we waiting on for the turn

Nobody, actually!

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund, getting a little shaky on whether he should continue with this. He has no reason to suspect that his focus may suddenly become a huge, lethal mass of compressed paper blades that would tear him into tiny, tiny pieces, but the possibility that it might is a tad too unpleasant to consider. He also has no reason to believe that he may have just crossed dimensions and found himself as the last living creature on an underpopulated simulacrum of the world he formerly inhabited, but he finds it wise to check nonetheless. He runs back up to the deck, only to find... everyone! Erin seems to be resting her back against a barrel and looking rather dazed, Evelyn is currently perched on another barrel and staring out to the sea. The Artiste is sitting next to some loud, very unusual-looking person.

"... and then when I'd caught her and the Narcillican priest, I said 'I do'! It was one of the funnest days of my life. The marriage itself, though, was annulled a couple of weeks later when the mind control wore off, though! Hah! We still talk sometimes, though."

"That's real interesting. I suppose I'll just keep on listening."

"Yeah, it does remind me of this other time when..." he keeps speaking, but Sigmund stops paying attention when he notices Niklas and Mark.

"I AM INCREDIBLY INDIGNANT!" Niklas shouts for some reason, and tries to get away. Mark, his current handler, is greatly displeased by this maneuver.

[Quickness: Niklas vs. Mark: 2 vs. 3+1]

He grabs the chair and lifts him from the ground, preventing the chef's lofty ambitions of petty squabbling with drunken mages. This action on Mark's part is not missed by the Artiste.

"Hold on a second," he says, gesturing at Stephen to stop. He walks over to Niklas and looks at him.

"Niklas, I order you to remain completely motionless until I give you permission to move again!"

At this, Niklas goes completely still, his body refusing to act against orders. The Artiste breathes a sigh of relief and turns to Mark.

"Thanks, Mark. You're one in a billion, really. Put him somewhere harmless if you don't mind."

Under the sea...

Scott is not about to give up so easily on his designs of personal soul-mastery. He wants ghost-limbs at the very least, dammit!

[Scott's will roll: 2-2]

He tries to undo the things keeping his soul in place... and he guesses he succeeds, to a degree. He feels a bit woozy.

[Scott's will roll: 6]

As his soul reasserts itself, however, he finds that this was but a passing event.

In an artifact pet-weapon store...

Darren, honoring his deal, starts to teach the lady how to do fake magic.

"Alright, first, I'm going to teach you the basics of sleight of hand. Just basic stuff like the double-lift. Do you have a deck of cards in here?"

"No."

Luckily, though, Darren is prepared. He draws a deck of cards from his own possessions, which the lady nods at. From that point, he begins to teach her how to do various sleight of hand tricks with the cards as well as more general ones. She takes to the lesson rather nicely, getting a decent grasp on the methods used. She's also pretty deft and quick with her hands, Darren notices - this is probably another reason why she's good at this.

After some time spent getting the basics of that down, Darren moves on to teaching the lady the art of misdirection. This... is a bit more difficult.

"It seems very dishonest to live on lying, no?" she mentions at one point when Darren is explaining. She's getting a little uncooperative, he thinks. And also her nervousness seems to be returning. Whether that's better than being as morose as she has been for the last hour or so, he isn't sure.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:02 am »

Contemplate on the nature of the soul in relation to ones mind to make this manipulation stuff a tad less daunting.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: January 09, 2014, 10:13:13 am »

((Harry, you messed up your quotes in that mini-turn))
"Uh, experimental and demonic, for one. You should talk to Craig about it, he's somewhere around here probably. He's this really cool demonologist guy."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 719