Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?  (Read 7801 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:45:36 pm »

I want some help here. Do any of the players or watchers of the previous game have suggestions of how to do some of the following?:

--Reduce complexity. #1 goal here.
--Encourage fishing and other historically accurate Polynesian behaviors. Fishing comes to mind first.
--Fix balance (see below)
--Preserve realism.

I found that all players chose similar choices with their traits. How could I modify them so there's less "good/bad" choices? I want the tribes or clans or whatever to be a lot different from the start.

-----

Wait list for when I start again:
mesor
Caerwyn
TopHat
GUNINANRUNIN
10ebbor10
LordSlowpoke
Maximum McDreitch
Nerjin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:20:07 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
Re: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

Give harsh penalties to trying to hunt with your fists. Give more canoes. Enable farming early on. Make droughts and famine brutal. Make gathering water an automatic success. I have other ideas, but preserving realism and reducing complexity is kinda hard to do at the same time.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »

1. Harsher penalties, gotcha.
2. Sure. I was trying to have folks start with close to nothing, but when you put it like that...
3. Farming's something I see as being" wait a while." Also, if anyone had put seven man-days of work into a farm before quitting...
4. Will consider. Drought and famine need to be better-implemented first, though.
5. Towards the end, I did this.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »

1) Fishing is for losers and water-cats.
2) There are sharks in open water
3) Don't swim in the water
4) Seriously, don't

5) Like I said before, resources should be in simple stock-piles. No more "brown/red feathers, iguana scales and bird-bones", make it easier on yourself. It'll make turns easier to write out, less mass-confusion and an overall cleaner look.

Otherwise, so far it's bloody fun!

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:44:25 pm »

If you decide to start a new one I'll join it was funny to watch.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

1) Fishing is for losers and water-cats.
2) There are sharks in open water
3) Don't swim in the water
4) Seriously, don't
1. And Polynesians.
2. And those people who died to igulves and the like were a hallucination? Besides, sharks are only going to attack the canoe, and not that effectively, barring stupidity and/or an exceptionally epic failure.
3. What do you think the canoes are for?
4. Why not?

5) Like I said before, resources should be in simple stock-piles. No more "brown/red feathers, iguana scales and bird-bones", make it easier on yourself. It'll make turns easier to write out, less mass-confusion and an overall cleaner look.
Otherwise, so far it's bloody fun!
Yeah, having just "bone" "shell" etc would be easier. I'm probably going to keep feather colors, because of cultural reasons. And feathers are mostly good for decor.

If you decide to start a new one I'll join it was funny to watch.
Thanks. I think.
...What made it funny?
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:03 pm »

Mostly the sheer number of people who were getting killed.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:51:18 pm »

PTW. I want to play! :O

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

Mostly the sheer number of people who were getting killed.
I have to give credit: They got better by the end. I'm not sure, but if you plotted it all out it'd probably still end in disaster within a few months.

PTW. I want to play! :O
Just wait.

-----

That's right, balance! OP being updated with the thing  I just remembered to ask.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:58:11 pm »

If you worked with a nearby group and planned your moves out to avoid sending people on jobs they are not prepared for then it would probably go pretty well for a good while.
Barring horrible rolling of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

Given how often they failed when collecting eggs, I doubt that a lack of horrible die rolls would be an issue...
Sig

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »

Why not have people be required PM you their action so you can sort out things faster?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »

For two reasons.
One, my inbox is clogged. I have been receiving large amounts of e-correspondence from someone *glances at culprit* about my Feudalism game. Not a bad thing, but it would make it harder to find half a dozen PMs.
Two, how would it help? If they post the actions, they're all in one spot. If they PM them, they'll be in a location separate from the game and probably from each other.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:24 pm »

Maybe you should reduce the punishment for failing rolls for minor events?

And let people choose a few basic skills to have for their group to give them a small bonus in some areas to improve odds a bit.

Look around shiftily
Who keeps sending the pore man messages. Stop it!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:34 am »

A good way to encourage fishing is to allow multiple types of it. Ie, coastal fishing, spear fishing(requires no cano) or deep sea fishing. That way you focus it a bit.

To increase difference between clans, you can do a multitude of things. Mostly, this'll be allowing options that don't change goods but behaviour of the clan. (Warrior tribe, pascifists, fishermen, ....) Giving small bonusses and maybe even some items.

As for complexity, maybe allow certain often repeated actions to have a continuus production, and then just roll to see if something bad/good happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7