Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?  (Read 7808 times)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 08:28:41 pm »

Stop ruining my fun I keep hoping somebody is gonna send out a canoe fishing and it will vanish never to be heard from again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »

That is the worst failure option...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:40 pm »

I know :) I just always like the mysteries like that they make things so much more interesting trying to work out what happened.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »

Jo, I mean that I already included it as the worst failure, in both the old and the new versions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2012, 10:22:56 am »

Anyway I think you should not be able to determine your island starts. Those should instead by randomly generated.
I'd go for multiple islands, but preferable close by each other. In such a way that 2 ocean fishers would easily spot each other.

Jo, I mean that I already included it as the worst failure, in both the old and the new versions.
Worst failure should not be a total loss of the expedition, but additionall harm and a total loss. Maybe the men were attacked by sharks, and managed to make it back to the island before bleeding out. Or they gave away your location. Or they caught a contagious disease, and went mad. (Or jsut got really, really sick).

On a usefull note, I propose you don't roll for every villager working on an action, but only once for every action. In one of my previous games, I used a d5* person participating in action, and the lowest 10% were bad, and the highest 10% were good. For the others I just used a production table.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:00 am »

I like the idea of randomly generated islands. I love anything random! Good, bad, who cares, it's fun. And separate, close islands (Bridges!?) would be neat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 10:28:26 am »

That would simplify things.

And the absolute worst failure is impossible with even the lowest level of skill or talent, barring notable penalties. It takes a 1 or less, and novice skill and a talent both give +2. So...don't send unskilled fishermen put for three weeks.

Finally, those traits could be eliminated, but I like giving people control over such things. Especially since randomly generated islands would probably be more work and would certainly have a chance to screw people over from day 1, without any control to avoid it. Thoughts?
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 10:35:49 am »

I like the idea of randomly generated islands. I love anything random! Good, bad, who cares, it's fun. And separate, close islands (Bridges!?) would be neat.
Swimable. (Undeep coral).

Maybe broken apart atols.

That would simplify things.

And the absolute worst failure is impossible with even the lowest level of skill or talent, barring notable penalties. It takes a 1 or less, and novice skill and a talent both give +2. So...don't send unskilled fishermen put for three weeks.

Finally, those traits could be eliminated, but I like giving people control over such things. Especially since randomly generated islands would probably be more work and would certainly have a chance to screw people over from day 1, without any control to avoid it. Thoughts?
How about randomly generated islands, but with an ability fix certain points. You're going to need a random gen system for extra islands anyway, and it's not that hard to set up.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 10:55:10 am »

I guess...well, there's one more thing to do.

What should variables be?
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »

All these use a d100

Spoiler: Island type (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Island size (click to show/hide)

Often, a site benefits from half the terrain features of the island, as well as some local features. A site is detemined as an area from which a tribe can survive without needing to enter the gathering area of another site.
Spoiler: Large terrain features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Local features (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »

Wow, that's great. I'll probably use something like it.
Sig

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25:49 pm »

you can always seem to rely on ebbor for things like that. Most organised gm... atleast that's the impression I got from wacky death races. :)

The anticipation for this game keep rising.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 01:28:30 pm »

you can always seem to rely on ebbor for things like that. Most organised gm... atleast that's the impression I got from wacky death races. :)

The anticipation for this game keep rising.
Me, organized ?

There's such a thing as chaotic organisation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »

ebbor is one of those guys who thinks through little details like that in his free time.
It think of different details in my free time.
Sig

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »

I think of squirrels in my free time! :P

I'd be happy with chaotic organisation for myself. I have none whatsoever. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7