Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 106447 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:51 am »

True, but how many RPGmaker projects are out there? How many flash games pop up on Newgrounds? It's kinda everyone's fault for taking something seriously if it's got less than a few thousand man-hours of work in it.

I think it could be cool to see a block-based game where the blocks have a polygonal texture applied that's randomized within certain bounds based on block type. For example, unworked stone would be all rough and bulgey, while crystals would be all spikey. If you had an asteroid of rock with crystals embedded the two might clash a bit but it would look a little less like it's made of cubes.

Then add 3D anti-aliasing to smooth the blocks based on half-blocks between each other, not by actually including more little blocks but just rendering the empty blocks adjoining as if there were something there. This alone could make something look as smooth as 8x resolution without increasing resource usage by 8x. For example, imagine a grassy step-slope in MC but it creates intangible but visible grass stairs to smooth things out. I'm pretty sure there are mods that do this already.

What's exciting to me about the zero-g space thing is how physics can work. Shoot an asteroid in the right place and maybe you can blow pieces off or even blow it in half. What direction and velocity (and spin) do these smaller pieces have then? Redirecting an asteroid by shooting it all over instead of concentrated in one spot. Ships with components that take damage and remove facilities (so you could actually target a ship's weapons or bridge or engines).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:29 am »

Its less "OMG THIS GAEM MINECRAFT RIPOFF!!!!11" and more "I'm kinda getting bored with all these blockbuildingshipmaking half done games"

Seriously, there like weeds. Maybe I just want a fully done blockbuildingshipmaking game and i'm kinda annoyed at the almost viral spread of "Its minecraft, IN SPACE! Play the alpha now, *soon* to be released in full!"

Hopefully once one comes out, like properly out, the alpha mushrooms will die back and i'll actually get to play a game, not test a concept/engine.

TL;DR: Space building "voxel" games need more polish, and less alpha shoveling.

This makes me sad. Developers release their games early for people to try out and play with and they get criticized for it. It's not alpha "shoveling", as you so harshly put it, games take time to complete. The only difference is now you get more exposed to the development of the game, and the developers are trying to be more open. It becomes apparent why a significant ammount of developers don't interact with the community very much, as they tend to get criticized for not outputting perfection instantly. If you dont want to play a concept/engine, just ignore it. It is not like any more games would exist if they were not released (actually the opposite might be true).

Don't release preview, people get annoyed and impatient. Release preview, your apparently shoveling out junk. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:02 am »

So I finally decided to give this a try and- Noooo. XNA. :(

Fuck XNA. XNA games and Unity games pretty much encompass "games my computer will not let me play". Argh.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 11:30:25 am »

Can we talk less about how butthurt people are about block games and more about how to play the game and where the game is going?  Is it too much to look at a game and say "This concept has been done, but I still like it and I hope it improves"?

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »

So has anyone made a fully controllable asteroid yet? Pendragon seems to be working on one and I personally lack the resources to do it. (READ: I have uber gear but helium is a bitch to mass produce)
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »

I accidentally put an engine on an asteroid when I was first learning, didn't realize it needed to be far away from the roid to start making a new ship.  I was wondering why my large hydrogen engine was only netting .02 unit/s.

How do you get more advanced materials though?  I've only seen iron, aluminum, icy rocks, cobalt rocks, and light rocks.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 03:04:43 pm »

So has anyone made a fully controllable asteroid yet? Pendragon seems to be working on one and I personally lack the resources to do it. (READ: I have uber gear but helium is a bitch to mass produce)

I've found a small/light asteroid, and I've been chipping away at it. The problem seems to balancing the thrusters so that you have a good amount of control on the thing. Currently it just wants to spin around crazily.

I accidentally put an engine on an asteroid when I was first learning, didn't realize it needed to be far away from the roid to start making a new ship.  I was wondering why my large hydrogen engine was only netting .02 unit/s.

How do you get more advanced materials though?  I've only seen iron, aluminum, icy rocks, cobalt rocks, and light rocks.

Do you have DarthNox's Tileset? You can find the advanced materials in really large asteroids (10,000+ tons) that contain medium rocks, but without the tileset they're completely worthless. I hope that helps.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:52 pm »

more advanced materials are titanium, thulium, uranium, ponium, and redium.

titanium is blue, thulium is green, uranium is pale yellow(?), ponium is purple, and redium is.....red.
beware, though, as ponium needs both ponium ore AND titanium ore to make.

and what UESC_Officer said. large asteroids (10k+) will have denser rocks near their cores. dig/destroy to that sectino and you can find the good stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »

Ah, fancy.  How do I tileset then?  And is this a DF style "it puts new images" or is this the "new crafting stuff" thing?  Also, know of any ship lasers that can mine things?  I think they all just destroy blocks.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »

if you mean edit the textures, then just edit the .png file in the dl'd

and yes, lasers only destroy things at the moment. hopefully the creator will add in ship-based mining

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:31 pm »

Ah, fancy.  How do I tileset then?  And is this a DF style "it puts new images" or is this the "new crafting stuff" thing?

It's "New Crafting Stuff", so you'll need to generate a new world. It's definitively worth it though, since it gives you more to work with. Azurelao had a link to it in the first page somewhere.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2012, 03:19:14 pm »

To use:
-dl both Executable AND Installer.
-extract both to desktop/folder
-run installer. exit game.
-put contents of DarthNox ItemSet .rar into the Binaries folder that the Executable creates
-use Corneroids.exe in the Binaries file to run the game.
-Use the DarthNox ItemSet option when making a new universe
I'm lost here.  What's this Binaries folder?  I just got the corneroids_installer.zip and I dragged the Corneroids_installer file onto the desktop.  I don't see anything on Binaries or anything like that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »

To use:
-dl both Executable AND Installer.
-extract both to desktop/folder
-run installer. exit game.
-put contents of DarthNox ItemSet .rar into the Binaries folder that the Executable creates
-use Corneroids.exe in the Binaries file to run the game.
-Use the DarthNox ItemSet option when making a new universe
I'm lost here.  What's this Binaries folder?  I just got the corneroids_installer.zip and I dragged the Corneroids_installer file onto the desktop.  I don't see anything on Binaries or anything like that.

If I remember correctly, you need to install the game, extract the executable .zip from the website, and then look in there for the binary folder.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »

the website offers 2 different downloads, an installer and a plain executable. download both and extract.
the installer should be the file you currently have, and the executable turns into corneroids_binaries.

run the installer, put the DarthNox Item Mod into the binaries folder, and run the game using the executable in the corneroids_binaries folder.

you can delete the installation files afterwards, if you want

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:01 pm »

Aha.  Cheers.

EDIT: By which I mean "Here's me going to develop a super-ship."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:33:11 pm by Girlinhat »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62