Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 106426 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #885 on: January 06, 2013, 01:50:15 pm »

Did some more testing and yes, the Anti-Personnel cannon is by far the best.  Putting 16 in each broadside for now, all shall fear my wrath.  I've got 4 months on a ship to build the greatest battleship space has ever seen. 
I firmly believe that this is because there's currently one damage type, "damage".  In the future, there will very likely be two damage types, "damage to players" and "damage to blocks".  When those get differentiated, then AP-Cannons will deal "20 damage to players" and "0 damage to blocks". and thus be worthless for attacking ships directly.

Yay for alpha versions!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #886 on: January 06, 2013, 01:57:06 pm »

Did some more testing and yes, the Anti-Personnel cannon is by far the best.  Putting 16 in each broadside for now, all shall fear my wrath.  I've got 4 months on a ship to build the greatest battleship space has ever seen. 
I firmly believe that this is because there's currently one damage type, "damage".  In the future, there will very likely be two damage types, "damage to players" and "damage to blocks".  When those get differentiated, then AP-Cannons will deal "20 damage to players" and "0 damage to blocks". and thus be worthless for attacking ships directly.

Yay for alpha versions!
I honestly think that the players should just have less overall health, and handheld weapons do less damage, most of them not as much damage as the AP which should be below most of the other ship weapons. Having weapons that do more damage to terrain than unarmored players is a bit strange, no?

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »

Now I've hit a bug where my health, armor and recharge got reset to base with my health and battery pack on, and go into the negatives when I take them off.  Had 112 health, 42 armor, and 20 recharge IIRC with all the top-end gear on, now it's 100, 0, and 5.  If I take it all off, it goes down to 88, -42, -12 >.<
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »

That happened to me, too. It seems to forget about the armor when you save and quit the game. When you go back into the game, health, recharge and armor values are reset to default, but still go down when you remove your armor. That's my basic theory, anyway. This game really deserves a bugfix update.

Yay for alpha versions!
Here's what I believe: Personnel means people, right? Well, anti-personnel means it is for killing people. The other cannons are not capable of killing people so easily.  :P

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »

http://rghost.ru/42782286

Little mod.  Add  radar+milkyway

+- - change max distance
[ and ]  - change scale
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh man I hope this is real. No offense, but a lot of red flags when downloading things off the internet. A 22kb modded executable of a 633kb game. Comes from a .ru address. Never been seen on VirusTotal before.

If you don't mind I'd like to know how this was modded because I'm curious if more of such mods can be made.

Edit: Virus Total detects nothing. It needs to be in the Corneroids Executable directory to run, which is probably why its so small. I got it working in Sandboxie. Really doubt a virus author is shooting for such a small group of people. I'm going to monitor this in Sandboxie a bit more.

Edit: Navigation is so much easier, this is great.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:32:45 pm by Zyxl »

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 06, 2013, 06:28:17 pm »

Radar mod? This makes me moist. How does it work with multiplayer? I assume it just runs outside corneroids and renders over (or inside) based on what it reads from RAM that Corneroids uses?

Also, I did push out an updated version of my mod (Travellerbro Modpack). I'm hoping to get another one out tomorrow or even tonight with a few extra requested features.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?w1xv9v699mgl7dd

500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »

Why did I put 4 Spinal Cannons on my moderately small ship?!
Bay 12. That's why.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:29 pm »

HOOOOOOOOOOO CHIPPERS THIS IS GRAND

PREPARE FOR MY LOW COST LOW EFFICACY RAMMING SHIPS

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:52 pm »

Radar mod? This makes me moist. How does it work with multiplayer? I assume it just runs outside corneroids and renders over (or inside) based on what it reads from RAM that Corneroids uses?

Also, I did push out an updated version of my mod (Travellerbro Modpack). I'm hoping to get another one out tomorrow or even tonight with a few extra requested features.

Just downloaded and checked that out since the first version. Cloaking armor is in? Sweet. I made my own little cloaking blocks to test what you could do with them awhile back. What I found is that the best use is not external cloaking, but internal cloaking so you can have a camera behind infinity layers of armor and still see out of your ship like it isn't even there. You can even have a bridge with no real windows. Between the two uses, external and internal cloaking, if it remains very cheap as it is now (very low power draw) then no camera will ever be exposed again, and you can even forgo them with an internally cloaked bridge which kind of removes the need for cameras. However, if it is sufficiently expensive to manufacture and power, then it may only be reserved for critical cameras and the most intensive use would be invisible bridges. I think the latter is better, such that the cloaking generator (black projectile cannon) is the go-to for external cloaking and "real" cloaking remains considerably more limited and reserved for cameras and viewports.

I really didn't think the black projectile cloaking generator was a good idea at first in that it's obvious from the lack of stars where the ship is, however, then you have no idea what specifically you are aiming at, so it makes for a good smokescreen combined with evasive maneuvers.

so tl;dr make cloaking blocks ultra expensive so the cloak generator are actually used and we get mutli-tiers and multi-function cloaking.

Edit: Specifically <300 power draw for a 3x3x3 invisible bridge is way too cheap. Should take at least 500 or something, powerful nuclear reactor, or at least just short of the top tier generators anyway. I just realized how cool it will be when the holodeck bridge blanks out when the power is cut. Should design with backup cameras.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:38:37 pm by Zyxl »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

Ship damage is really cool in this game. It's very much like dwarf fortress in that it's not really about hitpoints and more about specific ship / body part damage. For example, just shooting out one engine could really ruin the ships' turning if it was designed poorly / cheaply.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 06, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »

Argh I'm going to need some help with figuring out this cloaking stuff...

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »

Ship damage is really cool in this game. It's very much like dwarf fortress in that it's not really about hitpoints and more about specific ship / body part damage. For example, just shooting out one engine could really ruin the ships' turning if it was designed poorly / cheaply.

Yeah but unlike DF its as if every ship is made out of vomit and everyone has Masterwork Candy Drills. I know im repeating myself, and other people, but AP cannons need a nerf, all guns but the heavy plasma launcher should do minimum damage to ship hull, etc. But everything else, except the caps on movement and such is fine. Drills should be able to melt hull, because if you get that close... you should be able to get in.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:41 am »

Just downloaded and checked that out since the first version. Cloaking armor is in? Sweet. I made my own little cloaking blocks to test what you could do with them awhile back. What I found is that the best use is not external cloaking, but internal cloaking so you can have a camera behind infinity layers of armor and still see out of your ship like it isn't even there. You can even have a bridge with no real windows. Between the two uses, external and internal cloaking, if it remains very cheap as it is now (very low power draw) then no camera will ever be exposed again, and you can even forgo them with an internally cloaked bridge which kind of removes the need for cameras. However, if it is sufficiently expensive to manufacture and power, then it may only be reserved for critical cameras and the most intensive use would be invisible bridges. I think the latter is better, such that the cloaking generator (black projectile cannon) is the go-to for external cloaking and "real" cloaking remains considerably more limited and reserved for cameras and viewports.

I really didn't think the black projectile cloaking generator was a good idea at first in that it's obvious from the lack of stars where the ship is, however, then you have no idea what specifically you are aiming at, so it makes for a good smokescreen combined with evasive maneuvers.

so tl;dr make cloaking blocks ultra expensive so the cloak generator are actually used and we get mutli-tiers and multi-function cloaking.

Edit: Specifically <300 power draw for a 3x3x3 invisible bridge is way too cheap. Should take at least 500 or something, powerful nuclear reactor, or at least just short of the top tier generators anyway. I just realized how cool it will be when the holodeck bridge blanks out when the power is cut. Should design with backup cameras.

I like the idea of using cloaking armor to protect cameras, I'm going to have to mess around with that.

The problem with invisible blocks is that it's really no good at all for hulls (especially with large ships), as power requirements increase exponentially. Testing on a multiplayer server showed that the cloak was extremely effective at any range greater than half a kilometer - if you're not specifically looking for something and paying careful attention to distances, it's very easy to not see a cloaked ship. As a result, I'm probably going to leave stealth where it is now. Next time I know of a server that's hosting my pack, I'm going to mess around with the stealth armor for a while.

Yeah but unlike DF its as if every ship is made out of vomit and everyone has Masterwork Candy Drills. I know im repeating myself, and other people, but AP cannons need a nerf, all guns but the heavy plasma launcher should do minimum damage to ship hull, etc. But everything else, except the caps on movement and such is fine. Drills should be able to melt hull, because if you get that close... you should be able to get in.
Give my modpack a try. Most of the ones out there right now either never tried to balance armor strengths (DN+) or started to, then got consumed by massive power creep (Chef Anon). My weapons are for the most part sidegrades (beyond categories, i.e. pistols pretty much always suck compared to rifles), and the only handheld weapon capable of punching through hulls (and only weak ones at that) uses 90 energy to fire and only deals 50 damage. I've got a lot of powerful shipboard weapons, but they all have their pros and cons. Plasma lances (a mainstay medium cannon) are accurate and fast-firing and melt through blocks, but require a fairly significant power source. Ion cannons have a range of many kilometers and will annihilate any block in the game, but need a lot of power and have a long reload time. Kinetic guns tend to be fast-firing, lighter, and have less power draw. Torpedo tubes use very little energy and hit very hard, but are slow-moving and as a result will be hard to aim. And there are minelayers and a few kinetic variations as well.

Depending on how painful work is tomorrow, I hope to be able to build some fighters and test some of the ship-mounted weaponry to see what's needed for balancing.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:17 am »

I'm pretty sure he's going to patch that at some point. Besides, I like the idea of guns being quite powerful compared to armour. I once built a small iron box fighter and saw how long it would take to ruin with the weakest anti - ship gun. I expected a few seconds, but it actually took about 20 seconds to damage it substantially. Imagine how long it would take with bigger ships! :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:04 am »

-snip-
Just a question, did you leave out player armour on purpose?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62