Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 105771 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #915 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »

Is there any re-pack for noob using latest version?
Try checking either the forum or the /vg/ thread OP.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 01, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »

ptw
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 01, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »

Is Anyone hosting a server?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:54 am »

So, is anyone on Bay12 still looking to do anything with Corneroids? There doesn't seem to be any other community around the game, but there is apparently an update coming up at some point that's reworking space; in order to allow bigger ships, asteroids, and planets.
Sounds like something that could make the game much more fun.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 06, 2013, 08:57:18 am »

Last I heard multiplayer was broken, so interest kinda died.
If it's finally un-broken i'm sure someone will will host a server again.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 08, 2013, 08:09:31 am »

So, is anyone on Bay12 still looking to do anything with Corneroids? There doesn't seem to be any other community around the game, but there is apparently an update coming up at some point that's reworking space; in order to allow bigger ships, asteroids, and planets.
Sounds like something that could make the game much more fun.
And don't forget that it'll probably fix a lot of these glitches, too. Curse you, uranium!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »

if the multipayer had some good severs then id play it, but right now it basicy a sand box ship builder.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »

Ha! You checked this because you thought this was bumped with an update?

Well, it's still dead. There hasn't been a peep out of the Corneroid's developer for 6 months, 0x10c is dead officially, and StarMade is OK but nothing like the prior two and doesn't intend to be. It is a sad day for Space Voxel games. Good news for 0x10c though, it seems the community plans to pick up the game and finish it. Or at least that's what I just read in the gaming news. So then now instead I come here with an idea that was tossed around /vg/ :
1) We get news out of Mikko Pulkki regarding Corneroid's status
2) Assuming it is abandoned, Open-Source Corneroids project

1)
Now I've tried emailing Mikko Before to no response. I know I'm not the only one to try emailing him and get no response. He eventually addressed the rumor he was dead six months ago, his last update.

I know Mikko has a LinkedIn account, which he is probably more likely to follow than the Twitter account or Corneroids-email-address both of which he hasn't touched in half a year. I don't have LinkedIn, otherwise I would have poked at him there earlier. Now trying to track him down on the internet, I came across this on his Linked In account:
Software developer
Analyse˛
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Software industry
March 2013 – Present (6 months) Finland
Software developer
From now since March
So the last update on Corneroids was about the time he finally got hired back in March, which he was advertising the crap out of his 3rd-place GameDev winning game as prior programming experience.

Perhaps someone on LinkedIn could send a polite message requesting an update on Corneroid's status?

I reason that now he's been hired, he doesn't care much at all about furthering his pet-project he was using for his resume.

This leads to
2)
I come here to bay12 to post this idea because I know a lot of developers and wannabe developers come through here at some point.
I also know there are people here who loved Corneroids as much as I did, and have more relevant programming skills than I do.

"You want someone else to make it for you? Make it yourself." Yes I've heard this before. I got as far as Visual Basic in highschool before dropping the ComputerScience/programming career path. All I've got are some CAD skills, but that's hardly relevant in a voxel game. Seriously I would work a thousand years at CAD and texture packs if that could bring about Corneroids again.

Now Corneroids was slapped together for a GameDev competition. It's not much more complex than the original Ace Of Spades (now AKA "Build and Shoot", Jagex bought out "Ace of Spades"). I reckon that right now the Cataclysm project is probably bigger and more complex and that is more or less a Bay12 community project at this point. I really do believe there are people here both capable and interested in a Corneroids project.

So, would there be anyone here interested in sparking an OpenSource Corneroids project?

0x10c will be picked up by fans, Ace of Spades lives on as "Build and Shoot", but why must Corneroids fall into obscurity? It's a terrible injustice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pharren88

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 05, 2013, 10:46:00 pm »

I started practicing Unity just so could try and create a corneroids inspired project after it became clear it was dead.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »

I started practicing Unity just so could try and create a corneroids inspired project after it became clear it was dead.
So did I actually. Found out there's a lot of interesting material floating around regarding voxel engines ever since Minecraft became so popular.

In particular, if you're using Unity, avoid Java and use C#. I'm very certain Corneroids keeps it's memory usage low with a clever use of structs in place of some classes for blocks, which is one of many things you can't do with Java.

I've only gotten to work on this in spare time for fun. For things that actually work, I've only gotten as far as my own player movement script for floating 6-DOF + thrusters that replicates Corneroids fairly well. Stupid shit slowing things down, like finding out for the existing rigid-body system using the addForce and addTorque functions, I want to use RelativeTorque but not RelativeForce lest it fuck up the local axii for rotation because reasons.

When it comes to actually randomly generating the data structure for blocks, generating chunk meshes, visibility culling and mesh update checks... I'm pretty much just teaching myself to program when I could probably have learned this kind of stuff in a couple of programming and game programming classes. But at least there's a ton of half-finished material on voxel engines floating around, too bad they're generally for people with more hands-on programming experience than me. I just have no fucking intuition or knowledge on actually typing the code having effectively zero real coding experience.

I'd much rather just throw 50$+ someone else's way, but that can't do shit unless there's enough people.

Actually I'd much rather throw that 50$+ at Mikko and have him release the damned source code already.
Mikko Pulkki ‏@mikkopulkki 8 Sep
Sorry for not posting updates lately... Corneroids is not dead, but I've had difficulties to find time for a huge hobby project like this :(

He seems determined to just sit on this thing with a full-time job.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]