Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quickest death in one of your fortresses? (or quickest collapse)  (Read 3711 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest death in one of your fortresses? (or quickest collapse)
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 05:07:27 pm »

I'm not sure why it happened, maybe I embarked over another fort using embark anywhere?  Anyway, I spawned on a map with another dwarven miner off in the corner and when I unpaused that dwarf ran at my wagon and massacred all 7 within seconds with his pick.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2023, 05:38:00 pm »

Not sure if it counts but there've been times when I've hit abandon almost immediately because the embark site had something I just didn't want to deal with right off the bat (like a herd of giant grizzly bears roaming around or an aquifer on the first underground z-level).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 05:39:37 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 11:20:15 am »

I'm not sure why it happened, maybe I embarked over another fort using embark anywhere?  Anyway, I spawned on a map with another dwarven miner off in the corner and when I unpaused that dwarf ran at my wagon and massacred all 7 within seconds with his pick.
Sounds like a dwarven slasher killer.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 07:39:10 pm »

Started in a terrifying evil biome recently and was immediately set upon by first carp men out of the stream and then their zombies. They managed to kill a couple dwarves, who came back from the dead and slaughtered the remainder. Fort lasted about 12 days or something, was still Granite.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sum1overthere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2023, 10:47:24 am »

A undead pig attacked everyone as soon as I unpaused a new game.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 06:15:09 am »

Many years ago I embarked on a terrifying biome and all dwarves and animals almost instantly died to the blood rain which had some ridiculus syndrome to it. It was so quick I never had time to check in detail what it was. Atleast one turned into a zombie and one gave into pain. I was quite pissed at the time because I had given serious thought into the items, skills and such on the embark but obviously didnt save anything. I had also for some reason obssessed over embarking on a terrifying moist broadleaf forest (or was it a swamp? cant remember) next to ocean with iron, flux, all civs close plus a seemingly large dwarven civ closeby. All of it went waste because of the dumb weather.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2023, 10:16:04 am »

When I was new I dug straight down after making a couple of rooms for dwarves and a tavern. I wanted to find minerals. I breached a giant cavern at some depth. A flying forgotten beast came and slaughtered everyone it saw.  :(
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

Two119

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2023, 11:56:16 am »

A few days ago, I reclaimed an abandoned site (not one of my previous ones) belonging to my civilization. It had a nice limestone floor, some walls, etc and I felt pretty confident - until my entire fortress was wiped out by a steam monster. Within a week, I think. I hadn't even built a carpenter's workshop yet.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2023, 04:21:30 am »

Years back, I tried downloading Masterwork DF since it was getting a lot of attention at the time. 

Immediately on embark, the wagon (or something on it) erupted into flames, roasting some oblivious dwarves and starting an inferno that laid waste to most of the surface.  Deleted the mod and have never used major mods ever again.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2023, 10:33:42 pm »

My first proper fort with the Steam version, after countless hours with the ASCII version over the years but not having played much recently, I started a pretty standard embark next to a mountain in a calm forest with a brook.

Before the first caravan or migrants even arrived, a small pack of undead (2 or 3) wandered in from the south. I drafted my miners and other dwarves and sent them to fight, but one of the undead was highly skilled and killed them all. Crumbled!

That's how I relearned to always have a door I can close or preferably a drawbridge I can raise to completely seal off my fort, just in case I have to wait something out.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2023, 05:24:23 pm »

So I embark for a brand new fortress (the previous failed due to the werelizard problem AND FPS death).

I name the fortress Deathspiral.

I name the group of dwarves to embark to it The Act Of Failure just to be extra cheeky.

Guess what happens in the first few hours of gameplay.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2023, 08:27:00 pm »

The important question is how the Urists met their timely end.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2024, 10:45:16 pm »

Embarked on a frozen ocean in a modded game, cave-ins enabled.

The collapse that happens on a first embark is pretty standard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2024, 12:16:28 am »

In the 2012 version that reworked evil biomes I embarked in one.  Like two frames after I closed the strike the earth message it started raining slime that instantly turned everyone and everything on the map into husks.
Pages: 1 [2]