Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are Hot worlds any more particularly dangerous than cold ones?  (Read 1113 times)

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are Hot worlds any more particularly dangerous than cold ones?
« on: December 18, 2023, 03:05:45 pm »

For example, say I set the max temp to 100 and the min to 75, would such a world be more dangerous than one set to max 0 min -50?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Are Hot worlds any more particularly dangerous than cold ones?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 04:20:37 pm »

Less dangerous really, if I had to guess, since it means less stuff freezing.  Freezing water is extremely dangerous to dwarves.  If they're walking on a frozen tile that thaws they can fall into water and drown.  If they're standing in 3/7 (I think) or more water when it freezes, they're instantly killed and entombed in ice.  I've had freezing aquifer water kill them this way.

Conversely, I'm not sure that hot weather really impacts dwarves at all.  It causes surface water to evaporate more quickly, but that's it I think.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 05:21:57 pm »

Well, there was that one adventurer who encountered a boiling lake...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 07:46:32 pm »

I'm actually not familiar with that story but would be really interested to know what happens to dwarves who end up submerged in water that gets that hot.  I believe some things have changed with the damage calculations over the years, but there were some really old stories of dwarves whose fat all melted but they were otherwise fine.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 05:37:02 pm »

For example, say I set the max temp to 100 and the min to 75, would such a world be more dangerous than one set to max 0 min -50?

The only real way is to test it yourself. Use the parameters and embark at the maximum/minimum. Years ago I once had a bugged embark in scorching. Many things caught on fire and they died from bleeding wounds decently quickly.

Also the ocean still behaves oddly if you embark on a cold biome with the evil clouds. I tried it out a month ago and its still like that. Keeps collapsing as the clouds instantly freeze or something. So I very much would expect strange unexpected behavior at times at even colder biomes.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 07:45:34 pm »

In our World of Bones game I had people melt.  Not sure if it was just the heat. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 12:41:42 am »

Also the ocean still behaves oddly if you embark on a cold biome with the evil clouds. I tried it out a month ago and its still like that. Keeps collapsing as the clouds instantly freeze or something. So I very much would expect strange unexpected behavior at times at even colder biomes.

That's because the ocean has no support underneath, so the frozen ice floor on the surface caves in. In DF, ice doesn't float. When you're in an arctic ocean biome, the caved-in ice sheet furthermore doesn't melt once it reaches the seafloor, so the layers pile up until you get ice all the way to the surface.

I heard mention somewhere that if the biome is too hot, dwarves that spend too much time outside, get the fat melted off their bodies and die. Conversely, in freezing biomes, frosbite kills dwarves if they're out for too long.

The biggest trouble I get when embarking in extreme climates is usually dehydration though. Scorching and Freezing biomes tend to have water problems, and also vegetation problems, so bring brewables. Water's slightly easier in cold biomes that thaw out, since no matter what depth the water is when it freezes, it will always melt at 7/7, so you can multiply your water reserves over the winter by spreading it out on the surface level and letting the shallow water freeze.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 04:58:11 am »

That's because the ocean has no support underneath, so the frozen ice floor on the surface caves in. In DF, ice doesn't float. When you're in an arctic ocean biome, the caved-in ice sheet furthermore doesn't melt once it reaches the seafloor, so the layers pile up until you get ice all the way to the surface.

Thats not quite correct in this case as the ocean was already completely frozen and also the frozen clouds froze above the ocean causing extra ice a level above the already frozen ocean. It was pretty confusing to say the least but its not like the dwarves went out and touched it anyway.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...