Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: I have a sudden urge to make mog juice  (Read 30568 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a sudden urge to make mog juice
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »

Ok, more vermin news. 

Capture a live fish is doing nothing.  I've designated several fishing zones.  I've put jobs in multiple fisheries.  I've got dwarfs with fishing enabled.  They pick up the traps from the stockpile.  Then stand there.  And do nothing until they are dehydrated.  They don't even move off of the spot they picked the trap up at.  I'm starting to think moghoppers are a myth.  There are toads in the ponds to be captured.

In other vermin news, I've captured a creepy crawler.  Which the wiki claims is butcherable.  How on earth would you butcher a vermin?  I can't designate it to butcher in the z->animal menu.  I've tried with both not tame and tame crawlers.  I don't even know how I could kill the crawler and leave a corpse.  Falls do nothing.  I've killed dwarfs by throwing vermin at them.  But the vermin were fine.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:02:39 am »

Ok, more vermin news. 

Capture a live fish is doing nothing.  I've designated several fishing zones.  I've put jobs in multiple fisheries.  I've got dwarfs with fishing enabled.  They pick up the traps from the stockpile.  Then stand there.  And do nothing until they are dehydrated.  They don't even move off of the spot they picked the trap up at.  I'm starting to think moghoppers are a myth.  There are toads in the ponds to be captured.

In other vermin news, I've captured a creepy crawler.  Which the wiki claims is butcherable.  How on earth would you butcher a vermin?  I can't designate it to butcher in the z->animal menu.  I've tried with both not tame and tame crawlers.  I don't even know how I could kill the crawler and leave a corpse.  Falls do nothing.  I've killed dwarfs by throwing vermin at them.  But the vermin were fine.

You shouldn't be able to butcher vermins, just dissect them. Unless something's changed, but it shouldn't since the crawler's too small to be butcherable even if it wasn't a vermin.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:13 pm »

This topic intrigues me. It's one of my favorite parts of this board, so don't stop until you find a moghopper somehow! I'm sure they exist.

You're catching live fish during the summer in a savage biome and still nothing? Well, not catching anything at all? I remember a few updates ago I was able to catch frogs and things with the catch live fish thing. Maybe you need glass tanks?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 11:07:35 pm »

About 4 or 5 forts later and still no juice.  The raws say their frequency is 10.  Which I'm guessing means 10% of the time there's moghoppers.
Just a note here, but the [FREQUENCY:X] token is per biome, not per embark. So if you embark in a savage area and there aren't any moghoppers then you will want to find a completely different savage biome to embark in, not just put a fort down right next to your old one in the same biome.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:02 pm »

I vaguely remember somebody catching moghoppers while training a legendary animal dissector.

As I recall they gave up and eventually just modded all vermin to be processable into mog juice, which makes your cause seem a little more gloomy...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »

I vaguely remember somebody catching moghoppers while training a legendary animal dissector.

As I recall they gave up and eventually just modded all vermin to be processable into mog juice, which makes your cause seem a little more gloomy...

That was way back in 40d if it's Morul.

Yeah, vermins' never been easy for me to catch, moghopper's probably the worst since they're pretty specific season and biome.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »

Yep, Morul indeed.  I should read that again, good fun.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:44 am »

Well, this is interesting.  Time for a vermin update.

I am growing frustrated.  This is my 8th fortress in this world.  I don't know how many before this, because I just started counting when I made this one.  Been some really interesting embarks, that I would have kept but for the lack of moghoppers.  CURSE YOU! CURSE YOU MOGHOPPERS!  My favorite so far is the one with the magma sea at z16 and all three caverns crammed from z1-15.  Magma and iron at z9.  It was beautiful.  Never had magma forges running in the first summer before.  Well, except that one volcano.  Anyhoo.

Speed kills.  I've started using dfhack.  Turning on fastdwarf 1 1 so I can get all the support crap out of the way so everyone can be catching vermin full time.  And I've found a fun bug.  Teleporting fast dwarfs catching teleporting vermin will teleport into the fog of war without revealing it.  There they will sit until they die of dehydration.  Lost 5 dwarfs to the inky darkness.  It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Spoiler time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last dwarf is a chump stuck in an unreachable part of the caverns.  Almost dead.  And there he goes.  Next time I'm going to set moghopper frequency to 100 just to see if they actually exist.

Oh yeah, buzzards and keas will steal vermin from cages.  Then dwarfs will chase them around trying to put them back in.  Hilarity ensues.

I need sleep.

napancux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 01:28:51 pm »

I wonder will you go berserk or stark raving mad.  :-\
There's no choice. Only will.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

I had a strange mood like this once, only it was for the perfect siege engineer to help build an embark-wide wall of ballistae around the fort... one who liked ballista parts, ballista arrowheads, and blood thorn wood, to get maximum benefit from making ammo and ballista parts. I only wanted masterwork ammo and masterwork siege engines, and a ridiculous quantity of both. After executing ~400 immigrants waiting for one with the right preferences, I eventually gave up. Good luck, anyway.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 02:34:08 pm »

:D
So much madness in this thread. This is an example of strange mood, only we can recover from it, unlike poor dwarves!

DerNachbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »

We can?

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

If you pull this strange mood off, you might be the forum's first legendary animal trapper.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »

Moghoppers exist. My current fortress gets their meat in trade from either the elves or the humans. I think this is the first time in a long time that I've seen them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »

I had a strange mood like this once, only it was for the perfect siege engineer to help build an embark-wide wall of ballistae around the fort... one who liked ballista parts, ballista arrowheads, and blood thorn wood, to get maximum benefit from making ammo and ballista parts. I only wanted masterwork ammo and masterwork siege engines, and a ridiculous quantity of both. After executing ~400 immigrants waiting for one with the right preferences, I eventually gave up. Good luck, anyway.
I can just imagine a dorf at a desk in front of your fort, interviewing each dorf migrant before sending the undesirables to their deaths just because they didn't quite love ballista parts enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5