Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I have a sudden urge to make mog juice  (Read 30571 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: I have a sudden urge to make mog juice
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

Grr. Is there ANY way to get rid of them? Like. At all?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

magma.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

You could just delete them from the raws. Then they'd never exist.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

i'd suggest making sure moghoppers are found all four seasons and possibly adding the [UBIQUITOUS] tag (found in flies). that should have them show up in any savage biome with murky pools

with demon rats, it's not that they're [EVIL] that'd make them untamable. if they have [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] then you can catch and tame 'em if you've got an evil area in your embark (i usually do embarks with good, evil, and savage areas all together)

and, on the subject of flies...i've found that they will show up on rotting food even if it's underwater or burning away in magma. same with lizards and rats, actually. yay for teleporting vermin

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 01:40:04 am »

you guys aren't going to believe what the elven merchants brought me this season....

I can't figure out how to post an image, but I just got a female moghopper...

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »

Like the other poster said--delete them from the raws.  Or possibly make peace with them, on the basis that at least they're not mosquitoes carrying malaria and West Nile syndromes...

Demon rats have the [EVIL] tag, which IIRC, means they can't be tamed.

I'm pretty sure some [EVIL] creatures are tameable.  The alignment tags deal with restricting creatures to certain biomes; [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] control tameability.

To the OP:  I tried slicing just about every vermin besides moghoppers out of the raws.  I missed hamsters.  So...  Hamsters everywhere.  Not a single moghopper sighting yet.  This is pretty nuts.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »

There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »

After trial and error, I'm going to blame this on moghoppers' [FREQUENCY:10] tag.

I genned a world where almost no other vermin existed, but still no moghoppers until I upped the freq. to 100, like that of proper vermin IE rats/hamsters.

Oh, and the best way to catch them is to place masterwork traps by murky pools and bait them with meat or fish.  You'll want to turn off the autopause in announcements if you do that, though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:21:22 pm by melomel »
7+7

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »

After trial and error, I'm going to blame this on moghoppers' [FREQUENCY:10] tag.

I genned a world where almost no other vermin existed, but still no moghoppers until I upped the freq. to 100, like that of proper vermin IE rats/hamsters.

Oh, and the best way to catch them is to place masterwork traps by murky pools and bait them with meat or fish.  You'll want to turn off the autopause in announcements if you do that, though.

Excellent!  That was my next step.  I'd already changed the frequency tag and genned a new world before I was distracted by non-dwarf things.  I was thinking placed trapped was the way to go, since "catch live fish" is so messed up.

Thanks!  I'm glad someone jumped in to help.  I was about to go berserk. 

I need to head over to the dfhack thread and ask someone to write a plugin to count vermin next.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

So you didn't mess with their season tags at all?

Also, do you have to regen a new world? Or does just changing the frequency tag in your existing save's raws do it?

I tried that, and a summer of trapping yielded 15 blue jays, 11 cardinals, 6 wrens, 7 bushtits, 10 rats, 10 grey squirrels, 5 chipmunks, and 7 flying squirrels. But still no sign of the elusive moghopper!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:27:06 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »

Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
So you didn't mess with their season tags at all?

I did indeed.  Didn't do jack...  other vermin have [NO_SEASON] tags and still show up, so it shouldn't invalidate my results.  Probably.

Also, do you have to regen a new world? Or does just changing the frequency tag in your existing save's raws do it?

I did not, but I only caught 'em with baited traps.  Figured that since vermin are constantly spawning/regenerating, it'd work... should be easy enough to double-test, but I've found a shiny new toy (terrifying volcano/cliff embark site) and am trying to roll up a starting party that might survive the first season.  >_>
7+7

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »

Still no luck for me. Maybe I'll try yet another embark. Do you build you traps out over the slopes at the edges of the ponds, or just on the ground next to the pond?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »

WE HAVE GONE TWO YEARS WITH NO MOG JUICE. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »

The thread shudders to life, et cetera et cetera.

That being said, this made me realize I've been playing DF for over two years now, since I remember reading this thread when it was made.
I still have no idea how to into fortress. /almost solely adventure mode player

edit: I also can't into grammar, apparently.
Everything's in the news today

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:08 pm »

Oh mog juice, you sassy bitch. I never did make any. It's still on my things to do before I die list. Along with war jabbered army.

I did learn a lot about animal trapping.  The piece missing is a way to automatically empty animal traps. Writing a script for that is also on my to do list.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5