Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!  (Read 48803 times)

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

!!TerraFirmaCraft!!

Ever wonder what Minecraft survival would be like if it actually involved survival beyond the first night? Well, TerraFirmaCraft, a mod by Bioxx, answers that very question! No more punching trees down for logs or making a wood/stone pick to delve into the earth on the first night. Oh no, first you'll have to knap some stones together, to produce some basic stone toolheads. You'll be able to get some javelins, axes, shovels, hoes, and a hammer. You will have to somehow scrape by with that and make a shelter, because at night the monsters you love will be out in force to take your head.

Of course you say, "But Nate how will we be able to dig into the ground without picks!"

Well, I'm glad you asked. To get your first pick you'll have to begin the arduous process of finding surface tin, zinc, or bismuth. Once you find that you'll have to sluice or collect enough small ores to smelt your first ingot. That takes 13 or 14 ores to complete. With your ingot you can then take a hammer and go find some igneous stone(Sorry sedimentary stone won't work!) Did I forget to mention you'll need paper and ink to scribe a pickaxe plan? Also, heating your ingot and hammering it properly actually takes a little bit of skill instead of the simple put it in the crafting table and it pops out.

Once you have your pick you'll have to make a prospectors pick too, unless you want to risk wasting your entire pick digging randomly...which won't work because all the ores are in veins and nodes instead of scattered about. To make it all even more fun your underground shafts will collapse on you all the time unless you use supports to brace the ceiling. The first time that happens you'll really learn to bring supports because you'll have to replace all the stuff you lost!

Sound fun?

Want to join us? We already have two small villages built up, and we could use some more people to help us build! Don't want to join the village? Strike out on your own, there is a lot of wilderness to explore and exploit.

The server is whitelisted and the only way to get whitelisted is here on the B12 forums so either post here or PM me with your Minecraft username. (Case Sensitive!)

Server IP: 208.115.226.18:25571

I've put up a render of the server map so far as well if you want to take a peek. It has fancy zoom and is pretty detailed. The only problem is a lot of the mod's stone bricks show up as invisible.

http://midgard.clanteam.com/

Here is a link to the download/installation page for TFC. Note that you'll need minecraft 1.3.2 to install it. It isn't compatible with the new update. You should be able to find a way to downgrade easily with google.

http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/download/

Last but not least is your handy reference manual in the form of a wiki:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Main_Page

Trust me, you'll be referring to this for a loong time. Even once you've figured out most stuff you'll still need it so you can keep track of what temps metals need to be to work or weld. Starting out though you might want to check out no-nonsense a stone-age guide. That thing really sets you on the right path.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:39:08 am by nate9090 »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Nate's Terrafirmacraft Server: Put the Survival in Survival mode!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:19 pm »

I'm suspicious you can set colours for modded blocks with some tinkering. Probably won't be able to paint the stones with their proper colours though. Also too bad I got bored of TFC, it is an amazing little mod.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:43:07 pm »

I've got little experience with TerraFirmaCraft, but I can make javelins and sluices. Count me in. Name's LukewarmSoup, If I remember right.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:16:56 pm »

The server already has supplies, we're past the "gather resource" phase and into the "use tools for pleasure" era.  Current scheme: Megaprojects.

Nate has discovered that the maximum size for a charcoal pit is 25x25x12.  We're building one that size.  This will consume 7,500 log piles and 120,000 individual logs, and produce ~100 stacks of charcoal, so we'll need 3 large chests to contain it all.  This also presents an engineering issue because in a normal charcoal pit, you light it from the top and throw dirt on top, but in this size you would burn to death before you made it out.  The lighting hole will actually be from the bottom so that the user can reach the center bottom and close it off before dying.

Nate will be backing up the server before we light it.  Charcoal pits allegedly cause issues due to the way the black stuff works.  This may be the biggest legitimate charcoal pit ever constructed.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:14:22 am »

I have been thinking about a Comp, two Forts work against eachother to amass the most Net Worth which is calculated each year and put before everyone, then the design look is shown and the winner is those that score a high point value of Net Worth + Design...
The only problem is that it wouldn't really work with the current server and it fully disdains any Hermiting that happens...
So the question is, is there at least 10 people that want to do this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:44 am »

Just completed the Kiln aaaand:

It is huge. It is actually 25x25x13 so add another 625 piles for 10,000 more logs!

Girlinhat suggested we do a test run first though  of 1 log per pile to make sure the dimensions work. Would suck to finish it only to have it not work, haha.

Currently ~1200 logs in, ~7000 to go!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:40:45 am by nate9090 »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:24:43 am »

I might not get a chance to go on for a week or two, but I'll play eventually if you whitelist SimonMagnus.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:34 am »

@kiln...

begin the willow farms...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:55:33 am »

Wow you've all made some serious progress since I was last on. Just went to have a look at the mega-kiln and it was full of mobs. An enderman got me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 06:05:54 am »

Will.. that mega kiln actually work? o_O

edit: I think we will be forced to deforest entire regions to fill it up.
Not that I have any problems with it, but I think I know of at least one half-elf on this server.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:27:31 am by Ultimuh »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 06:16:46 am »

I suggest to run a separate mini-test first: 3x3x13 for height (I personally think that 12 is the maximum) and maybe 3x25x2 for width.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:10 am »

If the height is too short, then the top row of logs will be left untouched.  They shouldn't turn into charcoal due to the height, but they won't catch fire due to having no "air" tiles adjacent, so there's no room for them to burn.  The same theory applies to the ladder on the side.  In theory it shouldn't burn, since it's got no air available.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

I suggest the kiln be named OmegaKiln just for the herp.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 09:40:16 am »

What? Deforestation? Count me in!

Can I be whitelisted, please? :)
MC name: Maunoir
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:31 am »

Can has whitelist?
Name is hiddenninja.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21