Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excuse me, but I'm confused. (Resolved)  (Read 1141 times)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Excuse me, but I'm confused. (Resolved)
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:05 pm »

I had this simple mathematical exchange at a cafe some months ago and I still haven't set it to rights in my brain.  I'm surely overlooking something painfully obvious but I don't know what it is.  Perhaps one of you can help me:

Okay, so I'm at this cafe (it's in Chile), and I have a coffee which costs 900 chilean pesos.  And when I'm finished, I pass the counter girl two 500 peso bills and a moment later I receive my change, a 100 peso coin.

Feeling happy with the service and pleasantly buzzed on caffeine, I decide to tip.  I leave the 100 peso coin on the bar and I leave.  So between 900 for the coffee and 100 in tip, I've paid the cafe 1000 pesos, correct?

Then why have I parted with 1100 pesos in total?  ???

Edit: Thankyou Urist for pointing out this extremely basic math for my edification.  I was making this more complicated than it really was.  Mental bowel movement is now completed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:41:33 pm by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Excuse me, but I'm confused.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

You didn't. You paid 1000, got 100 back, and paid the 100 again. You paid 1000 - 100 + 100 = 1000 pesos.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Excuse me, but I'm confused.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »

I guess you could argue that you did indeed part with 1100 pesos.  You parted with 1000, then you parted with 100. 

You happened to receive 100 pesos as well, but not the same ones you parted with.   8)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Excuse me, but I'm confused. (Resolved)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »

Actually, he did part with the same peso that he received.