Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW  (Read 44924 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstorm: Class 13^13X HYPERCANE OF BURNING SNOW
« Reply #300 on: October 30, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

HOW CAN A FLOODED PLACE BURN?!!??!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 30, 2012, 06:51:27 pm »

Napalm, oil/gas fires. You'd be surprised.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2012, 06:53:43 pm »

BECAUSE ITS BEEN SNOWING NONSTOP FOR THE PAST 48 HOURS WITH NO SIGNS OF CEASING.

Can we trade weather? It's unseasonably warm in Boston and I haven't seen a decent snowfall in two years.
I, too, would like to request some sort of weather trade. Although by the looks of the forecast, temperatures here are going to jump from the highest point possible so that they may drop at great speeds to below 0 degrees (Celsius) and promptly freeze to death.

ninja: Wow. Depending on what Breezy Point was beforehand, that looks pretty bad.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »

Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:46 pm »

More AP Photos; This used to be the Atlantic City boardwalk. Now featuring: More Atlantic, less City, less boardwalk.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »

The half that's not flooded?

Edit: Alternatively, the fire is hot enough that the water is just steaming when it gets close. Apparently happened to my robotics coach (a former firefighter) that their handheld stuff just didn't have the output to reach the fire.

The other story was about deck guns. Those things will knock the front door out the back wall from what it sounded like.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:21:25 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 30, 2012, 07:20:22 pm »

I would've expected the Seabees.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »

More AP Photos; This used to be the Atlantic City boardwalk. Now featuring: More Atlantic, less City, less boardwalk.
Interesting how that area is totally devoid of everything, then not far down there's suddenly seemingly untouched or mostly untouched buildings.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:31:07 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #308 on: October 30, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »

Looking at all the footage of the damage kinda makes my call on the post-apocalypse scenario in the Year 2060 thread looking like Fallout sound rather accurate/plausible. Wow.

CAT1s are not normally this destructive. At least locally, these are a mere scuffing of some fenders and a few roof tiles/siding come loose as they stroll by. Then again, I live on the front line of these kinds of storms, so it takes more than a CAT3 to get me unnerved to the point of considering following evac orders, and the damage usually shows after such a hit.

Hearing from my family up in NY (rest of the clan), I'm surprised they came out with rather low damage, relatively speaking, though their neighbors are a different matter. Even places where we usually visit when visiting them for family reunions got hit pretty hard. I hope their businesses are still intact. At least everyone's okay. That's what really matters.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:43:17 pm by Itnetlolor »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:35 am »

So, Fantastic News! I got my new york times subscription today :) Along with yesterdays too.

Seriously though, I take it as a sign things are sorta returning to normal. Although I wonder how the hell they got it here, It means the city is no completely crippled.

Finally, on to one piece of news: The Governer is consdiering putting levees in. Holy crap. That's something that florida cities should have, not us. Also sounds expensive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

Looking at all the footage of the damage kinda makes my call on the post-apocalypse scenario in the Year 2060 thread looking like Fallout sound rather accurate/plausible. Wow.

Well, you have to realize, all the things that can be damaged by CAT1s already got damaged by CAT1s in Florida. NY isn't designed to take them.

On the other hand, we had record low ice extent only a few months back, which might have been connected with warmer waters in higher latitudes which is probably one reason Sandy strengthened so much near the end.

And as for the Syrians, why would they use a weather machine to make America wetter, instead of, say, Syria?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2012, 11:43:33 am »

Apparently, my area decided to have its massive 100% power outage after 9 PM EST last night.  Power Outage map is showing 100% red.   Running on generators at work.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:54 pm »

It appears the Space Shuttle Enterprise has also been damaged by the storm.

Nothing bad though, and it's not like it was being used or anything.

In more good news, America's weather forecast network mainly relies on 3 sattelites, one of which is already failing. With current cuts and such, NASA's earth science departement might go down from about 90 instruments to just 20 by 2020.

Seems like the future 'll be fun.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:09:09 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23