Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a necro tower  (Read 1860 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding a necro tower
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »

Anyone have tips on this?  I'd really like to see if my fort design can handle a zombie siege.

I've embarked on several evil biomes and had successful forts there, but none of them have had necromancer towers or zombie sieges.  Zombie wildlife yes, and the odd goblin snatcher / ambush, but surprisingly nothing else.

I've done both sinister and terrifying biomes.  One of them had putrid goo that caused unconsciousness / sores / bleeding, but I think that was the worst one.  Granted, my whole embark isn't on the evil biome.  Usually I limit it to 1 or 2 squares of my 5x5 embark grid while the rest of the grid is on water / normal land.

Which also leads me to a question about embark size.  Is there any reason not to make it bigger, other than perhaps lag issues?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a necro tower
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

Hitting {TAB} on the embark map cycles through a bunch of info, including nearby civilizations and necro towers

Yes, bigger embark, slower FPS.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »

The necro towers are on the same tab as civilizations?  I'm not sure I've ever seen one when looking through the civilizations.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:50 pm »

The necro towers are on the same tab as civilizations?  I'm not sure I've ever seen one when looking through the civilizations.
They show up as a 'Tower'

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:32:15 pm »

Necro towers are marked with an I, so you could try embarking right next to (or on, it's quite funny what their books are about) one.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:05:43 pm »

Also note that while goblins have a red ----- near their name in the civ tab, which means they're hostile, towers won't even if they are. I spent an afternoon regenning worlds until I realized that those "friendly" human towers weren't friendly after all.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »

Its neighbors, not civilizations.  Course the neighbors are listed as civilizations.  Sometimes ya get more than one.  Odd, I've never gotten more than one Elf, but I've gotten more than one Tower neighbor.

Yup.  Make sure Secrets # is turned up beyond 0, in Advanced Worldgen, it normally is in the default worlds.  Then after ya find a decent embark area, hit TAB before hitting e, to embark.  This will show you the steepness, neighbors, allow you to pick your mountainhome. 

Usually its recommended to pick a mountainhome, that is close to your embark, for quick, big migrant sizes.  But changing the mountainhome, can and will change relationships to your neighbors, to be sure to tab through again, in order to reread relations.  If ya up the Civs # in worldgen, ya might have more chooses in mountainhomes.  For some reason the mountainhomes, only show up on the largest of the three maps. 

Wierd.  I'd have extrapolated the mountainhome choices on all three maps, for clearer identification.  *crosses fingers*  Maybe a mod maker will someday do that.  It is an important factor at the start, afterall.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.