Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skill training rates  (Read 2178 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skill training rates
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »

Where is the skill training/task rate visible? I tried to search the raws but it is sizable confusing information, any pointers?

pr0d4u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill training rates
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »

perhaps you should ask in the modding forum.
Masterwork DF for example has casts and guilds that can speed up skill gain of their members for certain labors like all metalworking/smithing and reduce social skill gain rate as a balancing factor. There should be a modding FAQ that explains how to change the raw files.

On the wiki you should be able to find some clues how many XP a completed job gives to which profession like mining a tile or creating a peace of armor - somewhere I read making e.g. boots gives double the XP as two items are created in one job.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Experience

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:25 am »

So by that logic, a weaponsmith creating bolts would become a legendary in very little time, which explains what happened in my fort, I wanted a legendary weaponsmith and a legendary armorsmith. The weaponsmith became a legend in less than a year, the armorsmith took a lot longer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:55:24 am »

A stack is one item no matter how objects are in it. Otherwise Cooks would be getting crazy XP from those FB meat roasts and not just from rendering the FB fat.

Did you weaponsmith and armoursmith have the same Agility and the same walking distance from their usual hangout to the forges?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

So by that logic, a weaponsmith creating bolts would become a legendary in very little time, which explains what happened in my fort, I wanted a legendary weaponsmith and a legendary armorsmith. The weaponsmith became a legend in less than a year, the armorsmith took a lot longer.

No, weaponsmiths are getting the short end of the stick here, 60 exp for any labor. Armorsmith can make two gauntlets in a single job, and gets 90 exp.  Metalcrafter (stone/wood etc) can make crafts - 3 items per job - and get 120 exp for it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:49 am »

No, weaponsmiths are getting the short end of the stick here, 60 exp for any labor. Armorsmith can make two gauntlets in a single job, and gets 90 exp.  Metalcrafter (stone/wood etc) can make crafts - 3 items per job - and get 120 exp for it.

Does mason get exp for creating rock blocks? He makes 4 from one stone, so he should get 2.5 times the experience from blocks rather than from table.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:06:08 am »

Does mason get exp for creating rock blocks? He makes 4 from one stone, so he should get 2.5 times the experience from blocks rather than from table.

No, that gives 30 exp. It's not really a crafting job though, blocks are not regular items.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »

If a dwarf builds an artifact, sometimes they jump in skill, faster.  I think this depends on the type of mood, however.  Fey, I believe yields large XPs.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:08 am »

Fey moods lead to instant +5 legendary skill dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:56:50 am by 0cu »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:38:36 am »

Fey moods lead to instand +5 legendary skill dwarves.

I don't think I ever got a +5, mine get to +1.