Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: workaround for traffic jam?  (Read 2246 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
workaround for traffic jam?
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »

This is the second time this has happened to my current fortress: The dwarven caravan arrives, just as the human caravan is leaving. Most of the time they pass by each other harmlessly, but now theŭ've become stuck against each other again. The last time this happened, it resulted in 3 wagons mysteriously breaking up into wagon wood, and the dwarven caravan leaving because they suffered the loss of a wagon. Any tricks to prevent this from happening?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: workaround for traffic jam?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

Maybe you could have a second trade depot somewhere and lock the other one up until the caravans paths no longer intersect.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »

Have you tried widening the pathways?  Perhaps 6 or 7 width?  I think they should try pathing around each other if there's room.

FYI, this is in the bugtracker as bug #5687 and #6189.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:05 pm »

Provide a lowpass route for the entering caravan.  Only open it, when this kind of thing happens.  I've had much success in rerouting caravans.  They do repath after being stuck, eventually.  The problem tho, that I always face, is remembering to close the lowpass route, prior to the next siege. 

This tip, requires two 3x1 ramps, one set on outside of wall, and one set on inside of safety wall, connected by an untrapped 3 wide tunnel.  Then seal the entrance with a drawbridge, or three linked hatches to one safely hidden lever.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.