Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange  (Read 27048 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »

Crash 'Deler' Olonzokun has married Sodel the guard, she gave birth to Udil. Peregar and Malthas have married as well with Cog being borne of Malthas. I just realized that in 11 years there will be 20 children and 2 babies to the hopefully 7 remaining adult dwarves...

They really have to get off this island!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 08:48:57 pm »

Crash 'Deler' Olonzokun has married Sodel the guard, she gave birth to Udil. Peregar and Malthas have married as well with Cog being borne of Malthas. I just realized that in 11 years there will be 20 children and 2 babies to the hopefully 7 remaining adult dwarves...

They really have to get off this island!
Well, while you're on an exploding volcano, you may as well have fun with it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »

OOC; haha, so true, the remaining female guard has yet to be claimed by either The Card (Fool) or GreatWyrmLimestone (Impressive head guard) - GO RNG!

Early in the new year, Peregar came to my study with the makings of a plan. I don't even want to write it down it's so dangerous but it's all we've got. New babies are born to both Malthas and my wife Sodel. I can't foresee this being a good thing in the long run.

With GreatWyrmLimestone in charge of the mining and both our leading mason and stone crafter as well, it takes time to get things done. But the water purifier and well are both completed by the extra-scorching months of summer. Once filled, the lower pump is broken down for parts to build Peregar's new seawater pump stack a bit higher.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Card causes a cave-in up where we were moving some walls on the drill-caster. He's knocked out and falls from the superstructure less then an urist from the edge of the volcano. Magma mist billows around his unconscious form,

but dissipates leaving him entirely unscathed if not very thirsty. He looks totally pleased with himself. Lucky fool.

Work presses on.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm totally pleased with myself.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »

This is actually pretty cool to watch develop. Good luck with expansion and keeping it alive.

Any chance that you'll produce a boat or a harbor village when you obtain fungiwood later on?

I suppose while I'm here, can you dwarf me when there's a chance later on (born)?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:20:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »

I suppose while I'm here, can you dwarf me when there's a chance later on (born)?
Way these Dwarves are going at it, you've got a pretty good chance.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »

How did you make th island? :o
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 06:05:31 pm »

OOC; Since I can't build a functionally useful boat I wasn't planning on heading that way, but if I need to kill time it might be done as a project intended to fail hilariously/ get rid of excess children. You're dwarfed as one of the starting seven; the loner hammerdwarf Itnetlolor Timnaravuz, unmarried hauler.

The entire island was created tile by tile using DFHack's liquids and tiletypes commands during a sacrificial embark. The volcano was a test that has failed, next embark will experiment in proper volcano creation that re-fills normally. Can't find or figure yet on how to introduce the 'you have discovered magma' announcement to allow magma forges ect. on embark. The extra difficulty without it is not needed nor logical.

It is the year 505 if my memory serves. By late summer the drill-caster is completed and tested through several cycles. Malthas was most upset at being locked in the lowest pump station for long enough to drink blood and slime. Not sure where either came from though, all we have here is rotten goo and vomit. Roofs were added over the pump operator positions.

Functionally successful though it operates very slowly as the top layer (1/7's) of the volcano must be allowed to dissipate before the next water-drop. A holiday is declared and not much is done for the remainder of the year. Once the surface lava dried up a hole is channeled in the northeastern corner of the island to make use of the magma displaced by the cast obsidian which pours out the east side of the retaining wall.

OOC; A few months lost to youtube while unpaused.
Also I'm not sure if it is a long-term symptom of the rotten goo but I keep seeing dwarves who have perfectly good bedrooms sleeping in random locations.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »

OOC; Since I can't build a functionally useful boat I wasn't planning on heading that way, but if I need to kill time it might be done as a project intended to fail hilariously/ get rid of excess children.
Are you assuming the two are mutually exclusive?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 03:06:23 am »

...a project intended to fail hilariously/ get rid of excess children.
Are you assuming the two are mutually exclusive?

OOC; Well, if excess children are killed by it, then the project could only be considered a success, though it would still most likely be hilarious.

While the northeastern hole was being excavated a mechanism controlled door is installed at the volcano wall. As well as for casting the sub-floor under the new hole it will serve to lower the magma level in the volcano in a controlled manner to decrease the wait time between successive water-drops. After the access ramp is knocked out the sub-floor is cast and the drill-caster is put back into continuous operation it's over-flow now being mostly collected.

By winter the drill-caster is blocked-up with obsidian spires breaking the surface of the magma due to irregularities in the water-drop casting process. The surface is completely cast over and evened out. Holes have to be dug to cut back the spires under the cap then the entire cap is cut free and dropped by a block wall through it's last supporting ramp. Further progress will be far more labour intensive it seems.

Life inside carries on uneventfully. Basic supplies are well taken care of though complaints about our booze selection are starting to surface. Seems that I have four kids now too. I intend on not getting too attached to them. It's been almost 5 years since we landed desperate on these barren shores and it may be countless more before our eyes once again fall upon the glorious mountain homes of our kind.

Shipwreched map

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:00 pm »

Thats a bummer. Cant you make a large tall platform 3x3 and mine imbetween too reach the bottom of the ocean and move into the caverns?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 04:29:20 am »

The current plan to go down through the volcano has not yet been abandoned. The core of the casting is solid it's just that the top is all spiky and uneven over a range of 8 z-levels. Dropping complex shapes around the spires proved inefficient and will only work one more time anyways. I'm using the last chance to cast and drop a full-sized cap to cut the obsidian spire tops back down once more so that they're under two z-levels of magma. After deconstructing the drill-caster then I can finish the core casting with extensive micro using our one bucket from a series of catwalks.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »

The entire island was created tile by tile using DFHack's liquids and tiletypes commands during a sacrificial embark. The volcano was a test that has failed, next embark will experiment in proper volcano creation that re-fills normally. Can't find or figure yet on how to introduce the 'you have discovered magma' announcement to allow magma forges ect. on embark. The extra difficulty without it is not needed nor logical.

So, how did you embark on the ocean?
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

So, how did you embark on the ocean?
EmbarkAnywhere?

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »

Havn't seen that seince 40d. How do you get it now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6